My motto is nice AND comfortable!

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 08:16 PM
lynn

My motto is nice AND comfortable!

So..........

Why do so many of you guys think dressing for comfort automatically means not necessarily looking nice?

I've never seen it written that one excludes the other.

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 03:31 AM
elaine

lynn
For what it's worth, I absolutely agree with you.

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 06:34 AM
elvira

I'm always confused about this. Here in the desert, 110 degrees, and the women I work with "I can't wait to get home and get these hot pantyhose off so I can put on my jeans".
Shorts that ride up so your bare thighs are on dirty park benches are more comfortable than loose cotton pants.
Tank tops that you have to keep tucking your bra straps under are more comfortable than short sleeved cotton shirts.
Lycra bicycle shorts are more comfortable than a full linen skirt.

go figure

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 06:49 AM
Beth

I agree with you too, except for the shoes! I'm most comfortable in lightweight chino slacks, and plain cotton tee-shirts. But I still haven't found anything to replace my sneakers. Maybe I'll dye them black before I go to Rome????

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 08:07 AM
elvira

Ok so should we invent dark sneakers? I mean, seriously, what great technology is required by Keds to make black rubber sides and soles, black canvas, black grommets and aglets (look them up in yer Funk and Wagnall's), and black laces? Or navy? or dark brown? Cripes, we can put a man on the moon, but we can't make citified sneakers? I think we've got an idea here....

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 01:36 PM
lisa

I'm sensing a shoe-related theme in many of the posts today...
For what it's worth, there are a wide variety of comfy black athletic shoes available in both canvas and leather. You may have to go to a store that specializes in athletic footwear like Foot Locker, but they do have them. Both Reebok and Nike make them and I'm sure there are lots of other brands as well. I'm pretty sure Keds and other companies that specialize in canvas shoes have black ones too.
But for my money, black rubber-soled loafers (rather than sneakers) are the comfiest and best and go with everything. They have about a one-inch heel and you can wear them all day. I have them in black suede (made by Jones New York) and black leather (Nine West) and they're great because they slip on and off easily and you can wear them with or without socks so they're fine regardless of weather. I'm sure lots of companies make virtually identical ones. They look equally great with skirts, jeans, pants, or capris, and even some shorts.

By the way, cropped pants in black and khaki are my new answer to every fashion conundrum. They are cooler than long pants, more versatile than shorts, and appropriate almost anywhere, and can be worn with T-shirts or dressed up with a sweater set and nice shoes (heels or flats) and jewelry. Black skirts are great too but sometimes I just can't bear to be that feminine.

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 02:59 PM
topoftheworld

I've got a pair of dark Blue Converse Allstars. They work great with denin and khaki

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 05:46 PM
specs

Regarding capri pants. If you are old enough to remember having worn them, either as a child, or a mother, you probably should avoid wearing them this time around.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 09:10 AM
Martha B

I can't understand why people think looking nice has got to be uncomfortable, either. In Northern Europe, or anywhere in Europe in the off-season, people who wear shorts usually accessorize them with blue lips and goose bumps-- not a fashion statement I'm interested in making! In the winter, when there's a lot of rain in Europe, wool sweaters and socks are far more comfortable than cotton, because they're warm even when wet.
I personally find that clunky, leather tie shoes are more comfortable and durable than Reeboks. But a look I've seen on European women in the summer is white tennis shoes with a tailored skirt and shell or t-top. Comfortable, cool, and more pulled-together than shorts and a baggy T. Plus, a skirt can be worn many more places than shorts; hauling an unneccessarily large suitcase isn't my idea of comfort, either.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 01:27 PM
Richard

A pair of Chinos, a Banana Republic Tee, Black Belt, comfy Black Shoes..... Nice and Comfy.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 09:43 PM
lynn

Martha B - Large suitcases are definitely not comfy! My relatives think I'm nuts for traveling with one small, rolling backpack and a smallish tote bag for water and "in-flight" goodies.

Richard - Here, here & cheers to nice and comfy.