Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My list of either /ors. What would you choose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2023, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are excitedly looking forward to our May trip to Spain. We’ll have 4 days in Madrid including the day of our 9a.m. arrival on the 6th, 3 days in Barcelona, 2 in Aiguafreda, and 2 in Girona before training back to Madrid for our flight home on the 18th. I realize some of these are really partial days due to travel.

While in Madrid , we are trying to decide whether to take the train to Aranjuez for a day or to spend that same time exploring the royal palace, cathedral, and gardens in Madrid. We would only do one or the other. Something about Aranjuez and the surrounding town caught our attention, but I have questions about the ease of access. I believe it’s a 45 minute train ride, direct I hope. I read it is then a 10 minute walk to the summer palace. How accurate is this? Would we get nearly the same experience at the royal palace within the city? Any thoughts are appreciated.

I am trying to keep a slower pace this trip and not plan everything to death, but having said that we also need help deciding between the Prado or Thyssen- Bornemisza. My husband’s eyes start to glaze over after about 20 minutes in a museum which is why I thought the Thyssen might be a better option for us and why we’ll only do one. I know it’s best to get tickets in advance so I’d appreciate your views on why you enjoyed one or the other.

In Barcelona Sagrada Familia is a must for me. I’ve wanted to see it since I was in high school and that was a looong time ago, but we probably won’t also visit Casa Mila, LaPedrera,and Parc Guell unless it’s just admiring them from the outside. Any thoughts on why we should or shouldn’t pass on these. We have limited time and I am definitely an over scheduler to my husband’s frustration. We’re trying to play Barcelona a little bit loosy goosy as I understand it is quite crowded there and it seems as though everyone is planning to visit this year. Any Barcelona tips are greatly appreciated.

Lastly, if any of you have visited Girona, we’d love any insider tips for how to spend the days and maybe a restaurant tip. We do have reservations one night at El Celler de Can Roca so maybe something delicious and casual for the other night. I think we are in Girona during the Flower festival. When I started planning this trip, dates seemed to shift depending on where the information came from so fingers crossed. Either way, we will enjoy our time there. Any tips for getting the most out of it would be great.

Thanks to everyone for anything you’d care to share. I have already used your responses to other threads to gather a lot of info. You are all appreciated. We couldn’t plan trips as well without you.

Old Feb 12th, 2023, 11:39 AM

You have reservations for El Celler de Can Roca?!?!?! Congratulations.

Rats, my favourite little resto in Girona has closed. The spot that has replaced it, La Simfonia, looks promising. Café Federal for breakfast. Walking the walls is the only must.

Agree with prioritizing Sagrada Familia. Barcelona is an optimal wandering city, so really you are fine not to carve anything else in stone. That said, we really enjoyed the details in Casa Batllo. You could look up “castellers” and see if there are any displays or competitions scheduled during your time.

Old Feb 12th, 2023, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

FFOttawa- I know can you believe it! We were waitlisted and then I guess the stars aligned. My husband is so excited. It will be the perfect anniversary dinner. Thank you for the recs!! I appreciate them.
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 04:23 PM
twk

If you're only going to do one art museum, do the Prado. It's a lot more manageable than the Louvre and has some really spectacular pieces that even a tepid art fan will appreciate. Buy tickets in advance so you don't waste time standing in line for that.
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 05:34 PM

We didn't visit the Thyssen so I can't compare but we loved, loved the Prado. I enjoyed it even more than the Louvre. Twk is right when he/she says the Prado has some really spectacular pieces.

So when you say you have 4 days in Madrid, and so on for the rest of your trip, do you mean 4 days/5 nights or 3 days/4 nights?

Regarding the Gaudi sites in Barcelona, it's difficult to sometimes give advice because every traveler is different. I can't imagine going to Barcelona and not seeing Casa Batllo, Casa Mila and Parc Guell. They were the highlights of our trip (along with Sagrada Familia), but we also had more time than you. We spent 5 or 6 nights in Barcelona. With that said, I agree with FWOttawa about prioritizing La Sagrada Familia and I would also visit Casa Batllo. It has many interesting and quirky details.

For wandering around Barcelona and if you want to spend more time outdoors, we really enjoyed Citadel Park and the amazing La Cascada, a magnificent water fountain. Visit the Gothic quarter with its two beautiful gothic cathedrals. And visit the neighborhood of Gracia where people live and you will see children outdoors playing and riding their bikes. We were there in 2010, so it's been awhile, but Gracia was much quieter than the more touristy neighborhoods of Barcelona.

We walked on the walls in Girona. It's a lovely medieval city with a river running through it so it's very pleasant just wandering around. We did visit the church and an art museum. The highlight of the church tour was a thousand year old original tapestry depicting the creation of the world.
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

twk- Many thanks for your input. It’s always helpful to get another point of view.. For instance, we preferred Museé D’Orsay to the Louvre, but I’m sure many others would disagree. So it’s always nice to get another perspective.

karenwoo- unfortunately, it is 4 nights and maybe 31/2 days as we land at 9a.m. on the 6th and depart for Barcelona early on the 10th.
From my research I would have guessed we would prefer Casa Mila to Casa Batllo, but without really being there it is hard to say. As you mentioned, every traveler is different. I would love to hear more details. I may have read your TR mentioning Girona. Did you post lovely photos or perhaps that was someone else? My head is getting jumbled up with information overdrive.
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 08:03 PM

It really depends on what you enjoy. For me it's Reina Sofía. Prado is okay if it's free
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cjar
twk- Many thanks for your input. It’s always helpful to get another point of view.. For instance, we preferred Museé D’Orsay to the Louvre, but I’m sure many others would disagree. So it’s always nice to get another perspective.

karenwoo- unfortunately, it is 4 nights and maybe 31/2 days as we land at 9a.m. on the 6th and depart for Barcelona early on the 10th.
From my research I would have guessed we would prefer Casa Mila to Casa Batllo, but without really being there it is hard to say. As you mentioned, every traveler is different. I would love to hear more details. I may have read your TR mentioning Girona. Did you post lovely photos or perhaps that was someone else? My head is getting jumbled up with information overdrive.
My TR is from 2010 and is under my old screen name of kwoo. We weren't posting photos back then. I think you are thinking of the TR from EYWandBTW (something like that.)

I do love the rooftop of Casa Mila (it's very strange) but for me the interior of Casa Batllo was more interesting and quirky.
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 09:03 PM

We loved both museums but if only one? The Prado, for the Bosch paintings alone.
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Traveler-Nick- we are opposites then. Although the Thyssen does seem to have more of a variety in a smaller bite,right?

My decision is being swayed toward the Prado thanks to everyone’s input. As a kid, I was fascinated by Bosch paintings, inspecting photos over and over again to see what new details I could find.It’s my understanding that not much is known about the artist.
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm another who preferred Casa Battlo to Casa Milo as the apartment is much more interesting - just walk past Casa Milo. Casa Battlo also has the advantage that you can visit two other apartments from the same period but by different architects in the same "Block of Discord". I would also recommend seeing the Palace of Music and the Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau.

For my write ups on all those sites, with pix, start here (links at the top of the page): https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...casa-amatller/
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 10:32 AM
twk

Originally Posted by Cjar

I'm with you on the Musee D'Orsay over the Louvre. Different collections, but just in terms of logistics, the Orsay is more enjoyable. We took a half day to do the Prado and enjoyed it.
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Twk- Yes, sometimes I find very large collections overwhelming and I really enjoyMusee D’Orsay’s location on the Seine. I just find it more aesthetically pleasing. Can’t explain it.

thursdaysd- We had planned on visiting the Palau de la Música, but don’t know much about Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau. I’ll have to research it. Was it the history, the architecture? What about it did you like? I will follow your link now to see your photos and threads. Thank you.
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

thursdaysd- loved your photos and commentary. I had no idea there was so much other great architecture if you know where to look. Very enjoyable. Thank you.
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Cjar. There really is a lot to enjoy in Barcelona.
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 07:09 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We have visited the Thyssen and the Prado. If you’ve never been to the Prado you should go there. Then next trip visit the Thyssen. I will return to the Thyssen again and again.
Old Feb 14th, 2023, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
It really depends on what you enjoy. For me it's Reina Sofía. Prado is okay if it's free
I would also choose Reina Sofia among the big 3. Especially for those whose eyes glaze over.
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 08:57 AM

When I visited Barcelona in 2017 I choose Casa Batllo over Casa Mila/La Pedrera (they are the same site) for a lot of the reasons already given. The interior is really unique and the audioguide comes with (or at least used to come with) a phone-like device that you can hold up and see a virtual reality presentation of how the rooms would have looked when they were furnished. I'll be visiting Casa Mila during my trip this year, but it sounds like we'll be in Spain about the same time, so I won't have a chance to make a comparison here before you leave.

Another Gaudi property to consider is Casa Vicens. I walked past in on my previous trip when it was bring restored and put it at the top of my bucket list for a return trip.

I also second the recommendations for the Palau de Musica and Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau. I realize that all of these suggestions are likely making your decisions more difficult, but these are truly stand-out sites!

Parque Guell is a smallish site and can be done fairly quickly, but I'd advise getting advance tickets and getting there first thing after opening. It gets crowded very quickly.
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks memejs. Not sure where we’ll end up, but it does seem that most people posting to this thread enjoyed Casa Batllo over Casa Mila. I’m thinking Sagrada Familia, Casa Batllo with a walk by Casa Mila, and a visit to Palau de Musica. Maybe the gothic quarter or a tapas tour. Maribel mentioned a good one in another post. That about does it time wise ,right? If only there were 48 hours in a day for vacations.

shelemm- I enjoy museums and there have been times where my eyes began to glaze over as well so I can’t really fault my hubby who humors me regardless of how many things I’d like to do on vacation that hold minimal interest for him. That is why I was so happy to get the Celler de Can Roca reservation. That is his happy place and my eyes will tear up from foams, essences and the use of a pacojet. That kind of give and take is why we’re still married I suppose.

Thanks again to everyone.
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 12:37 PM

We loved Palau de Musica, too!!! The architecture is so gorgeous and elaborate. We had a tour. I don't know if people can visit without a scheduled tour, but we really enjoyed the scheduled tour. It's very informative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -