Reload this Page >

My Iberia nightmare tops them all!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 11:51 AM
Rosie

Well, I think that I can top all the Iberia Airline Nightmare stories! I just returned from two weeks in Spain, having used Iberia from San Francisco/New York/Madrid/Alicante, and returning that same route. Our trouble began in JFK upon checking in with Iberia for the transatlantic flight. While standing in line, we were informed that the flight would be delayed one hour (no big surprise, as they are already known for this. We get checked in and settle in for the wait. When the time to start boarding comes, there is no one at the check in counter at our designated gate! Another thirty minutes goes by, and an American Airline employee comes to the desk. He doesn't bother to explain anything, so people are lining up to ask questions. When I approached and asked what we were to do about missing our connecting flight in Madrid, he pointed out that Iberia had already put me on a later flight. (I was never told this) My original flight out of Madrid was leaving at 9:55 am. They had me departing at 2:55pm! Well, I pointed out to the man that I had people picking us up in Alicante at 10:55 am, and I needed to get a message to them. He assured us that we could do this in Madrid. <BR> <BR>On the flight, the stewardess's were nasty with most passengers. I speak Spanish and used it to my advantage, but was still treated with indifference. They served the meal, but did not clear the trays away for almost 1-½ hours! During this time my friend asked for a second glass of wine. They said NO! When I asked again twenty minutes later, the lady snapped at me and said that they had to finish the food service, then they would open the Duty free shopping; THEN they would open the bar! You would of thought we were asking for the fifth or sixth drink! One passenger stood up and took his sons' and his tray and set it at the counter where they congregate. The stewardess was absolutely livid. She handed it back to the man and told him to go sit down! The passenger told her that he had to take his son to the bathroom, but she insisted he take his trays back to his seats! <BR> <BR>Once we landed in Madrid, I went to the Iberia desk and explained that since our flight was now almost three hours delayed, and we would not be in Alicante till 4:00 PM, that I needed to get a message to my friends. The young lady assured me that our friends would be told that we were on the 2:55 PM flight, as we were so delayed. (There was a flight at 11:55, but that was full with people who had missed other flights) By this time my friend and I are getting very rummy. The jet lag was starting to kick in, we just hoped that our friends would be waiting for us. <BR> <BR>We finally arrive in Alicante, at 3:20pm, but my friends luggage is not on the plane! Now here is the tricky part. We were meeting friends that had arrived the day before from Scotland. They had rented a Villa but did not have a phone number or an address for us, prior to our departure. (As much our fault here for not having a back up plan) They were to get in on Saturday, get the keys to the Villa, and after getting all settled in, would come to collect us on Sunday morning. I had told my friend to be sure to call the airport, due to the reputation that Iberia has. He did do this, and was told of the delay from JFK. What they didn't tell him was that we could not have gotten on the 11:55 flight because it was booked solid. (By the way my friends luggage did not arrive till 5:55pm. But hey, we weren't going anywhere! ) <BR> <BR>So he arrives at the airport and inquires at the Iberia counter. They tell him, that they have no record of either of us leaving JFK! So he now assumes we are delayed a full day. We on the other hand,ended up waiting at the airport till 6:30 PM, before giving up and getting a hotel. We left a message with Iberia, for our friend should he return. We came back to the airport the next day, after not hearing from him. I asked if anyone had come to look for us and the lady said she had just come on duty but no one had been in to ask about us. Just when we were about to give up, another Iberia employee comes up and asked me if I was Ms Cordova. When I said yes, she said, "Oh, there has been a gentleman looking for you for two days! I asked her why he had not gotten the message that I had left. They checked and the message had been put under "passenger name". Since his name was not the passenger, he never got it! We left another message and explained that they needed to tell ALL their employees at that desk the hassle we were experiencing! Once again we went to a hotel. <BR>Finally, a full day and a half after arriving in Spain, our friend gets the message, and come to rescue us! <BR> <BR> <BR>So, we not only started our vacation a day and a half late, but also have incurred hotel charges, stress and in general a bad start to our vacation. Fortunately, that was the end of the nightmare. We had a wonderful two weeks. Someday I just may even think the whole thing funny. Well, maybe not. <BR>

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 12:10 PM
maryann hensinger

yikes, what a story....my daughter is traveling to spain on iberia air in june, and i'm now a bit concerned about her trip. is this a common occurence for this airline????

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 01:24 PM
rosie

Maryann: since your daughter is not travelling till June, I would suggest, if possible to change airlines. There is always a possiblity that she will not have the problems that we encountered. But keep in mind, that Spanish is my first language, and I had to do alot of talking and STILL got nowhere!! The other problem is that, once in Spain, Iberia is pretty much the only airline available. They seem to have a monopoly.

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 03:03 PM
Ellen

Rosie's experience was awful but I have to say I flew Iberia in May and everything was perfectly fine. The attendents were somewhat aloof but the $404 I paid for the ticket outweighed that behavior. Go back and search this forum for Iberia and you'll see lots of comments, negative as well as positive. <BR>Ellen

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 08:58 AM
Peter

Never did fly Iberia and never will. <BR>they are so famous for bad service they've got a seperate section at this site... <BR>http://www.air-itout.com/ <BR>also searching Fodor's you'll just get bad experiances from anyone using Iberia. Why do people still use Iberia is beyond me... Yeah some say lower price tickets ... are they really lower? <BR>only when you there on time and with your luggage and from notes people write chances are against you as Iberia traveler.

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 10:43 AM
rosiec

Peter, yes you are right. But I was new to this website after I had purchased my ticket, and the restrictions that are put on the ticket make it more costly once you have the ticket than to just use it. I have learned an invaluable lesson here, and also lots of great information from other posters. My experience once in Spain was fantastic! Due in part to a lot of tips that I picked up from all you fellow travellers! So for that, my rewards were many. The travel once separated from Iberia, also the people of Spain I found to be the warmest, most considerate people! I have made wonderful friends there, and as soon as I can figure out how to get there on another airline, I will go back!

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 10:53 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Try Swissair. Earlier this year we went from Seattle/Amsterdam on NW, then Amsterdam/Madrid. Coming home from Lisbon it was Lisbon/Amsterdam on Swissair.

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 10:58 AM
Al

A number of years ago, Iberia bought a big piece of Aerolinias Argentinas, the Argentine airline. So Iberia started to convert AA's systems to theirs. It was like a Chinese fire drill!!! Behind each counter in the Buenos Aires airport stood an Iberia employee, coaching the AA person in "how we do it...or else." The lines must have backed out of the airport and into the street. Fortunately, we were accompanied by an Argentine woman who was like a middle linebacker -- she put down her head, roared a warning, and shoved us through the confusion and onto the plane. I wonder if Iberia and AA ever got their acts together.

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 01:24 PM
Maribel

Rosie, <BR>You can also fly from San Francisco to Madrid with US Air connecting through Philadelphia or with American through Chicago. Or probably British Air through Heathrow.

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 01:55 PM
Rosie

Maribel/Cheryl, Thanks to you both for your suggestions. My friends that were in Spain with me,came from Glasgow, and I find out that from SFO I could have gotten round trip air to Glasgow for under $400. Then from there they only paid the equivilant of $299.US Dollars. to Alicante. So for apprx. $700. We could have spent the night with friends in Glasgow,gotten over some of the jet lag.. and avoided Iberia all together. Alot has been learned here!

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 02:29 PM
elvira

This has gotten me thinking: for the most part, the Loons have had very good luck with 'foreign' airlines (our personalities didn't mesh with Lufthansa's, but that's another story) and would probably have considered Iberia Airline for a trip to Spain. Ixnay THAT oughtthay - but.... <BR>Iberia is a 'partner' airline, I'm sure, with other airlines, probably some American ones. Would a letter, Rosie, to those 'partners' be of more impact than to Iberia? You know, along the lines of "wouldn't it be awful if YOUR frequent flier clients used their miles on Iberia?" Just a thought...

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 06:10 AM
rosiec

Elvira, I have considered the partner airlines. As a matter of fact, my traveling companion's flight originated with American Airlines all the way from SFO, and they are partners with Iberia. When Iberia told our friend that we "had never left JFK" we started thinking that she should write a letter, to American Airlines requesting a refund. Since their computer showed that she never arrived in the country! My friend is seriously considering doing this. Whats even more amazing is that not once did any of their employees admit to any wrong doing on their part. Just some american tourists that couldn't seem to connect!

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 06:05 PM
Peter

Rosie: You have learned an invaluable lesson about Iberia, but You also passed this knowladge to us - to others which is great, since I'm sure many will benefit from this info. Thanks