Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

My horrible experience with Education First tours

Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I booked my trip to Greece, Italy, and Spain that was supposed to happen June 2018. I booked far in advance in March of 2017 and was informed on Friday the 29th of December by my teacher not by EF tours that I was unable to continue with my trip as two others had cancelled. When I read the cancellation policies stated on their website it says that within 149 days of the trip the cancellation fee is raised from 300 to 500. Luckily I cancelled at 155 days. When I called to cancel I asked why I had to pay the cancellation fee of 300 dollars as I felt I had to choice but to cancel. Austin I think was his name told me that if I had postponed until 2019 or transferred to another group I wouldn't have to pay. I was also not informed that paying for the global insurance is non refundable. All in all I lost $550 and never left the country. I recommend to anyone thinking of booking a trip with them, to do more research to avoid losing a lot of money like I did.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 01:18 PM

I presume you did not read reviews like these https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...f-ef-tours.cfm https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...m-ef-tours.cfm beforehand.

Your description of coverage was confusing, so I read the https://www.eftours.com/eliterature/...ns_etus_18.pdf.

The page 20 indicates at least $300 (presuming the 50% of program price is higher than this) is ALWAYS charged plus many other "non-refundable" fees in case of cancellation. The "Global Travel Protection plan," which I am not sure if you meant by "Global Insurance," is stated as NOT AN INSURANCE, but a plan to reduce fees if the buyer chooses to POSTPONE the trip.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 05:14 PM

I believe your teacher was wrong. They could probably have gone on with the tour and paid part of their own trip. Your teacher could also have found two more students to replace the ones who decided to cancel. There is still plenty of time to do that. They could also have let EF assign you to another group if you wanted to do that. Please call EF again and see if it is not too late to do that. Frankly, I question how your teacher handled this. The policies of EF are clear. What your teacher did is not.

One other thing. If another teacher at your school is taking a trip, you could have been changed to that group.

EF evidently did not make the choice to cancel. Your teacher did and then told you you had to cancel. Your teacher is the one who seems to have given you no choice, not EF.
Not defending EF, but their policies are pretty clearly stated. Hope you can get some help. Please come back and let us know how things turn out.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 05:32 PM

I just read your post again. Of course, we are not privy to all the facts, but this was a total screw up. Whether it was that you or your parents did not read all the info you received and did not know your options, or your teacher wasn't thinking and rushed to action, or the rep from EF did not realize you would consider a different group, everybody fell short on their responsibility. Being a former teacher, I hate to say this, but I lean toward thinking the teacher just got flustered and being close to the deadline for losing more money, cancelled without noting how much you stood to lose. I doubt they will do anything, but do call EF again and try.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 06:05 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Unfortunately the OP won't see our posts since s/he is most likely a hit and run first time ranter. But it is yor teacher who is most at fault here - plus you and your family for not reading the therms and conditions.

That being said, people either love or hate EF
Old May 17th, 2018, 09:16 AM

Yes, that is really horrible experience, Your teacher could also have found two more students to replace the ones who decided to cancel.