My Garmin Nuvi 370 Just Arrived!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what got into me but I bought a new Garmin GPS. I own a GPSmap 76CS and have taken that to Europe with me a couple times but it wasn't all that useful. It told me where I was and where I'd been but it wasn't real good at helping get to where I wanted to go.

The Nuvi 370 is nice in that it gives directions and it is also very compact. But of course the very best thing about it is that it comes pre-loaded with US and European maps.

I have put in hotels that I am staying at on my upcoming trip to eastern Europe. And I have marked sites that I want to see.

Now I just have to wait 2 1/2 months to use it.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 11:14 AM

Congrats! I have the C330 StreetPilot and had to purchase the Europe maps separately. I may have to upgrade to one of the 370's next year and gift mine down to one of the kids. Hope you got it for a good price.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 11:23 AM

I didn't know the Nuvi 370 came pre-loaded with both US and Europen maps. In fact, I had not even considered getting my own GPS because usually you have to pay like $150 to load the Europe maps. Time to check if I can get a good deal on it anywhere!
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 11:31 AM

Never mind, the 370 is more than $150 than the 350.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 11:32 AM

How about $609.95?

mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=145434

(<i>p.s.</i> If you're looking to save money, why buy a dedicated GPS at all? A PDA with onboard GPS costs less and does more. I loaded all of Europe for $40 on mine. Plus nanika.net/metro plots subway and bus routes for me on the same device.)
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

The Europe City Navigator map set is close to $275. Those are the maps that come pre-loaded on the 370.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 02:52 PM

I looked carefully at the costs of the 360 plus the European maps and it was cheaper to buy the 370. I did price shop and wound up buying it from Amazon since it wasn't actually in stock and shipping at a lot of the places advertising low prices. I had a fairly short time frame for getting it before I left.

I am absolutely delighted with it so far -- I'll let you know in a couple of weeks how well it did in Italy.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 03:33 PM

I used my 350 on my past trip through Northern Europe and it was a Godsend. It actually performed better there than it does in New Jersey. I did the exact same thing you mentioned: made all my hotels AND recommended bars and restaurants part of my POI (points of interest) list. Perhaps the best feature was the fact that it gave me an arrival time for the next stop which then allowed us to know just how much time we could spend sightseeing in our current location. It also came in handy when we were running low on gas motoring down the Autobahn.

And it's hilarious to listen to the Aussie Girl mispronounce German street names.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 03:45 PM

Ok, maybe this will sound horribly dumb to those of you who are familiar with these &quot;thingies&quot;, but I have always wondered if they are just as useful when travelling on foot (i.e walking your way around paris). My father had one in his rental car in Italy and said it was a lifesaver, but would it help you even if you don't rent a car??
Just curious

Thanks,

Layla
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 04:03 PM

It has a pedestrian mode, which I have not yet tested. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Hi aaucho - not a silly question at all. They are just as effective walking. The pedestrian mode is primarily to refresh the screen more often as you are moving slower and not necessarily on roads.
Have you heard of geocaching? This sport depends upon people using GPS units on foot. I use my (old) Garmin for this all the time.
Now my turn for a questionable question. Is there any reason you can't plug GPS units into European cars using same connections as in Nor Am?
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 04:26 PM

Thanks guys.....I have always been curious about that! I think I might invest in one for my next trip....I'm sure it would come in quite handy!

Thanks!

Layla
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 04:28 PM

All automobiles manufactured on this planet in the past 30 years or so have twelve-volt negative-ground electrical systems.

The Brits were the holdouts - so your Hillman Imp may still have a positive earth electrical system. But who cares?
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 09:40 PM

I have a terrible sense of direction. Do you think it is worth $600 US to pick up one of these GPS systems for walking in Paris. I have been to Paris many times, but will be with a group of gals and don't want to get lost.

The Nuvi 350 was more money than I want to spend. It looked like the lower models were only preloaded with EITHER U.S. or European maps, and for only one zone at that. If I had to purchase other maps, the price starts bumping up again.

Any practical suggestions? I am willing to invest some money, but the sky is not the limit!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

I have only owned two GPS units - both Garmin. So my advice is somewhat biased. I've had my Nuvi for two days and I have concluded that it will be a great tool for travel in the US and especially in Europe.

My other GPS is a GPSMap 76CS. The thing that impressed most about the Nuvi is how fast it finds the satellites. It also connects inside my house. This is something the 76CS couldn't do.

If you wanted something cheaper, I think you could go with a 350 and find maps for specific European countries. I think this would be cheaper than buying the whole European map set.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 03:48 AM
ira

Hi L,

&gt;I .... will be with a group of gals and don't want to get lost.&lt;

As long as you are with your group, you won't get lost.

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 03:49 AM
ira

PS,

Keep a card with the name, address and phone no. of your hotel with you.

You will always be able to get a cab.

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 03:52 AM

Actually, if you do the math, considering that you would need to buy a SD card and European maps (around $300), you just might be better off with the Nuvi 370 since it comes loaded with both North Am &amp; Europe maps.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 06:04 PM

Ira:

Two of the gals have never been to Paris before, one has been for two days, and one's not been there for many years. So the pressure is on! I do so want them to have a good time and not spend a lot of time finding our way.

We may end up plotting our way with a map the &quot;old fashioned&quot; way. Just wondered if there was a practical, high tech alternative.

We had a built-in GPS in our rental car in Germany this past December. It was so wonderful that the idea of one for Paris is just so tempting!
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 06:17 PM
bat

Leburta:
IMO--no! Not for walking.

You will spend too much time staring at the GPS figuring out &quot;where you are&quot; instead of enjoying where you are.

Getting a bit lost is fine--part of the adventure. Just have a good walking map and stop periodically to get your bearings, if you feel the need.

And learn a few french phrases for asking for directions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -