Reload this Page >

My Fair Lady Tix

Search

My Fair Lady Tix

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 09:40 PM
Fred

My Fair Lady Tix

We're going to London in a month on a British Air four day package. My wife woulod love to see My Fair Lady (played Liza in her college production). I suspect that waiting for same day 1/2 price is a bad strategy. One website I looked at wanted a 50L premium over the face value of the tickets. Any suggestions?

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 03:25 AM
Rhonda

Fred<BR><BR>I was in London on the 15th of January (Tuesday) and decided to see My Fair Lady that evening. Went to the 1/2 Tix booth and was told they only ever have &pound;15 seats (not good at all) for this show and the woman recommended going to the Theatre. I went at around 3pm to get tickets for that evening and got great seats in a box (same level as the dress circle) for &pound;40 each. &pound;40 is the most expensive seat in the house. Maybe you could phone the theatre directly to check on availability. Hope this helps.<BR><BR>Rhonda

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:39 AM
Susan

We are going to be in London in February and I purchased My Fair Lady tickets directly by calling the box office. I purchased my tickets about 2 weeks ago. The seats are not great - not bad, they are in the dress circle off to the side. I would call the box office and see what is available. I don't think that you need to pay a premium.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:00 AM
wjh

Fred,<BR> I was in London first week of Jan. 02. I could not get tickets to My Fair Lady at the 1/2 price booth. I think the suggestion to call the box office directly is what you should do.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:39 AM
elaine

I haven't priced all the booking agencies and don't know if they'll charge more or less than the 50# commission you mention, but here are some that are reliable<BR><BR>www.what's on stage.com<BR>www.whatsonstage.com www.thisislondon.co.uk/<BR>www.albemarle-london.com/ <BR>www.londontheatre.co.uk/ www.playbill.com click on London, http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/ <BR>www.itsagift.ticketmaster.co.uk <BR>www.theatrenow.com <BR><BR>www.goodshow.com/charges a flat fee for two plays, up to six tickets per show. They claim to be able to get them when no other agency can. <BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:47 AM
Judy

Fred, I requested and received absolutely wonderful seats for Mamma Mia, from conciergedesk.co.uk. A bit more pricey, but the seats are incredible! I also put in a request for My Fair Lady tix today. Have not been notified if they got the tkts yet.<BR>FYI, Judy

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 08:56 AM
janis

call the Theatre box office directly. MFL tickets are not at the 1/2 price booth and all other agencies charge 20 - 25% fees. Book by phone at the theatre boxoffice and they will be waiting for you when you get to london.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 10:40 AM
Patrick

I agree with janis and others. Would someone explain why anyone would call a booking agency for tickets to a show in London when they are available directly from the theatre with absolutely no handling charge and no commission? They have access to all the seats not yet sold, will explain to you which are best, and will take your credit card info over the phone and hold the tickets for you at the box office. I can't imagine why anyone would call a booking agency first unless they simply enjoy paying extra unnecessary fees.<BR>Of course, if the show is sold out and you still want tickets after calling the theatre, then I can understand going through an agency and paying extra if you really want to see the show -- there is little other choice.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:33 PM
Fred

Thanks for all your advice! I will call the box office directly tomorrow.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:39 PM
Leslie

Fred, since you are flying on British Airways, you can call the British Airways Holiday Desk to get tickets to the theatre. I think the number is listed in its brochure, but you can also get through by calling the BA 800#. I am fairly sure that BA does not mark-up theatre tickets. I know I bought my tickets for "Whistle Down the Wind" a few years ago through BA, and I got great seats. Sorry, but that show closed, but it was a great Lloyd-Webber musical.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:59 PM
Vic

You can use a service like Ticketron and book directly on the web.<BR><BR>http://www.playbill.com/playbill/home/logo2.gif<BR><BR>Unlike the US where theaters that use Ticketron are forbiden from selling tickets over the phone, uou can buy tickets directly from the London theater without a handling charge. Ticketron is still handy because it provides you with a seating chart that you can refer to when you call the theater.<BR><BR>Then there are the agencies or what we call scalpers. We go to London regularly and when tickets are scarce, we call them from home and often get very good seats at a premium, but not a horrific premium. We use<BR><BR>conciergedesk.co.uk<BR><BR>They seem fair and often have remarkable seats. I'd first call the theater than call conciergedesk and compare the two. The improvement in seats may be worth the extra.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:00 PM
Fred

Leslie - I checked out BA's ticket service. They don't "carry" MFL tickets. They have some good shows but use a service that has a pretty stiff surcharge. I think I'll stick with Plan A but thanks for the advice.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:08 PM
janis

Leslie: Fred beat me to it -- BA does not provide tix free of service charge. They tack on as big a fee as other ticket agencies. maybe you were on a BA "theatre break" type trip where they provide tickets - but there is definitely a substantial fee included in the price.<BR><BR>I remember once - I think it was at Miss Saigon at Drury lane - two very "Orange County" type ladies were seated behind me and were talking (loudly about being thrilled to have gotten their tickets w/o any fees for "only" 45GBP. Well this was when the best seats in the house (which these were) cost 30GBP.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:23 PM
Judy

My tickets through conciergedesk.co.uk were "only" 47.50gbp, But we are in row L 23-24...right on the aisle. Fab seats...the best I have had in a while anywhere, and for Mamma Mia too!<BR>Judy

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:55 AM
Judy

Fred: just got confirmation from conciergedesk.co.uk, and received GREAT seats for My Fair Lady, row L seats 10-11 for 47.50(a piece) gbp for March 25.<BR>FYI, Judy

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:57 AM
wasted money

Congratulations, Judy. You just got two tickets that cost 40 pounds each for only 47.50 each. So the two tickets only cost you about $22 US more than if you had called the box office directly and gotten the same seats. Maybe $22 means nothing to you, but I'd rather put that money into something else. And wasn't there also a service charge on top of that 47.50 each as well which you would have avoided by calling the box office? <BR>PS. my last phone call to the UK cost about $2.00.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:01 AM
Judy

Wastedmoney; No, there was no service charge, and it was a matter of choice....it was also easier too. As I always say, to each his own. Judy

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:58 AM
Fred

Wasted - decided to follow Judy's lead - time is money after all and $20 (net) is a reasonable price for saving the time and not battling the time zone difference. Thanks to all for their advice!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 12:47 PM
xxx

I apologize. You are, of course, right. It is very difficult to figure out that London is 5 hours ahead of Eastern US time -- much too complicated for the average human to comprehend. And it is a tremendous amount of effort to dial a London telephone number. Much easier to log onto the internet and book and wait for a confirmation, than to talk to someone in a box office who has the actual seating chart in front of them and can tell you on the spot what seats are available for any day you ask. I guess it is worth $22 not to dial a phone number. Oh, that I had that kind of money to burn.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:08 PM
shirl

Wow, xxx, you need to get a life. You sure are a nosy busybody who is also a knowitall. Do you have any friends in real life? I doubt that someone who comes across like you do has any friends anywhere. MYOB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -