My annual jet lag rant

Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My annual jet lag rant

On Thursday afternoon, I returned from a month mostly in eastern Germany, and I'm still suffering from jet lag. One symptom I've noticed this time Is that I'm kind of goofy. I met a friend at the supermarket a couple of hours after I got home and was embarrassed that I wasn't making a lot of sense when I tried to comment about the death of our church music leader.

I also made a hash of the simple process of getting some cash when I paid for groceries.

It's getting better, though. On Friday, I went through the phase where I just didn't feel well, but today I feel okay except that I'm a little light-headed and feel unbalanced. I'm really glad to be walking on asphalt or concrete sidewalks now and away from cobblestones, where I never feel completely secure when I walk.

My sleeping is still all goofed up though. I woke up for good about 3:00 a.m. I've been trying to straighten up the mess I always make when I unpack and collect mail from the post office.

It's 6:15 a.m. here--time to go back to bed and see if I can sleep a little more.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 06:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry to read this, Peg. I too have suffered from bad jet lag but it usually just makes me want to sleep and gives me a headache.

Perhaps next time lay in some groceries and a bit of cash before you go so that you don't need to go out until you feel up to it?
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 06:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I am an east coaster and we don't suffer near as much as west coast people. You have a much longer flight and more hours to compensate for. I took jet lag pills one trip and it really helped.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5577679.html
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 06:43 AM

I am taking melatonin now.
Not a sleep pill and according to my doc harmless. I take it a few days after being back. If helps. If not we'll I need one day per hour of time difference to readjust.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 06:51 AM

<i> My annual jet lag rant
Posted by: Pegontheroad on Jul 2, 16 at 9:17am</i>

Have you tried Yogi Bedtime tea? Works great for me.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 06:54 AM

I'm not sure what it is, but my DH and I both were saying that it took us a good two weeks to feel back to normal this time. I have never had that much trouble coming back from a trip. Hope you're back to normal soon!
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 07:29 AM

I felt better returning at 4 in the afternoon this time (Tuesday), compared to 8 or 9 or 10 pm in the past. I've been okay during the day, but fade a bit around 2p. I'm trying to not nap, and stay up till 10, but I'm waking up every 2 hours during the night. Last night was one less wake-up, so maybe the 7 nights for 7 hours of time difference will take care of it. In the past I've felt unable to concentrate for several days, but this time I've actually done a couple Sudoku and crossword puzzles.

Hope you're back to normal quickly, Peg. I know, it sucks! ��
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 07:36 AM

Of course you are still jet lagged. Considering the distance and, at least in my case the increasing effects due to age, I think you need to expect a least a week.
Next time try no jet lag. It seems to work for many.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 08:22 AM

I just returned from London on an 11 hour flight on Monday night and its 5 days later and I'm still suffering from jet lag.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 08:35 AM

As I get older I notice the jet lag is worse. Both directions. I do take half an Ambien/Zolpidem if I wake in the middle of the night. But only for a night or two.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one. And yes, it does seem to be worse as I age. Fortunately I am retired and don't generally have to be anywhere.

The day seems very long when you get up at 3:00 a.m., even when you take a nap. I went to the porch to pick up my mail and was a little surprised to see that there was none.

Then I realized I was three hours ahead of the mail carrier.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 09:04 AM

Well peg I am so glad you posted this because a friend who rarely travels was surprised I was still complaining of jet lag yesterday. She asked when did you arrive back in the US? I read her these comments and felt vindicated!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 09:17 AM

I don't suffer from lag traveling from Europe to the US. US to Europe is a different story -- day 3 is always the worst.

What do you do when you return?
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 09:25 AM

That's interesting spark. I don't suffer going from West Coast of US to Europe but definitely do coming from east (Europe) back to west coast.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 11:40 AM

This is interesting; I am on the US West Coast and it is always more difficult for me to travel east to Europe. We decided to start our last trip in Bath rather than London thinking it would be more easy-going and less intense. It was and worked well for us.

So sorry you are suffering with this Pegontheroad.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 01:31 PM

nanabee, perhaps it's because when I fly West, I am on vacation?
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 01:34 PM

Traveling east always seems worse to me. It's been 3 days Peg! Give yourself a break. It takes a good week.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 04:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
East coast people have it much easier, I sleep on plane for a bit and I hit the ground running.

I suppose that is why the westies always worry so much about people with jet lag the first day. We have a three hour advantage.

I bought this one time for Germany since it was a longer flight.
http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...9&catid=287223

Maybe it helped, not really sure. I have it worse on return but mostly because I have drank a lot, ate a lot and worn myself out.
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 04:52 PM

nanabee, perhaps it's because when I fly West, I am on vacation?<<

Just fly home thru Tokyo, duh
Old Jul 2nd, 2016, 05:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I almost never used to get jet lag . . . either direction. When I did it was flying back from Europe to the west coast -- and I put it down less to jet lag than just being out of sorts because my trip was over and back to the grind . . .

But now I get terrible body clock issues - especially east bound. My sleep patterns are totally disrupted for days. Exhausted but once my head hits the pillow I'm wide awake and can't get to sleep til 3 or 4 or 5 AM. Which makes me just such a HAPPY camper during the day - not.

I do wish I lived on the east coast and could take a day time flight

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -