Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

must we reserve in advance for Switzerland in Oct?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 06:16 AM
jonas

We would like to visit Switzerland for 10 days in late Oct travelling around by train. Will we be able to find b&b rooms in the Interlaken area and the Ticino area without making reservations in advance? Also, can anyone recommmend the Bernina Express with the bus trip through a bit of Italy? Thanks in advance.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 06:27 AM
Ursula

jonas: For the Ticino area, I would definitely make reservations, yes. Be informed, that October is a month with school holidays all over Switzerland and the Ticino is a nice area to go then. Also, it's still travel season and foreigners do still come then, even if the real peak is over.<BR>I am not sure for Interlaken. Most hotels there cater for large groups, esp. Japanese and do of course book well in advance. <BR>As you will be travelling by train, it would however be good to have reservations in advance, as you cannot just drive to a place that is far away from everything, but might have rooms available.<BR>Good luck.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 06:29 AM
richard j vicek

Goodmorning, Jonas<BR>Have taken the Bernina Express both ways from St. Moritz/Tirano/Milano.<BR>Late October should have a bit of snow<BR>on the pass.<BR>Probably you will not need reservations,<BR>however some places close fo the summer<BR>season about the beginning of October..<BR>There is a bus trip from St. Moritz to<BR>Lugano which is supposed to be quite<BR>nice, however don't know if it will be<BR>running in October, might check www.sbb.ch/<BR>Richard of Lagrange Park, Ill

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 06:30 AM
jonas

Ursula,<BR>Thank you for your advice,<BR>Jonas

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 06:32 AM
jonas

And thank you Richard<BR>Jonas from London, Ontario

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 06:52 AM
jw

Hello Jonas, Take a look at the websites at sunnydays.ch and hotel-panorama.ch. I've enjoyed the two-star(15 rooms) Panorama on Lago Maggiore, and a number of people have recommended the Sunny Days B & B in Interlaken. I've never ridden the Bernina Express, but I have no doubt that it's spectacular. J. p.s. You might want to ask Ursula and Ingo about the possibility of flooding in Ticino in October. A year or so ago, they had some very heavy rains -- but I'm certainly not an authority and that might have been a fluke.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 03:07 PM
ttt

to the top for Jonas