Must visit vineyards in Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Fiance and I will be traveling through tuscany on our honeymoon this September and are looking for some great places to stop for wine tastings and maybe a cellar tour. We love brunello and chianti classico wine. Would love to hear any recommendations, and if advanced reservations are required.

thank you!
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 07:09 PM

Hi AAbroad. For Southern Tuscany, check the websites for Poggio Antico and Ciacci Piccolomini, both producers of acclaimed brunelli. And also Avignonesi, a vineyard which produces several very good wines as well as an acclaimed vin santo. And of course, almost the entire town of Montepulciano is given over to wine shops owned by the major vineyards. In Montalcino, drop by the enoteca Osticcio for an excellent selection, a tasting and good food too.

In the Chianti region, you might consider Castello di Brolio or Verranzano (sp?). I have also heard very good things about Casa Emma.

You will need reservations at the vineyards. Some also have acclaimed restaurants so you may want to reserve a tour, tasting and lunch.

Have a wonderful trip and congratulations.
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 07:54 PM

Went to Tuscany last spring on a cruise; port of Livorno. Area called Monte Carlo ( Italy not Monaco), toured Fattoria Il Poggio, had a wonderful lunch and tour of the vineyard and olive groves. Would highly recommend it.
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 05:25 AM

Look into Dievole and Vignamaggio in Chianti. Vignamaggio is quite charming and is the birthplace of Mona Lisa as well as the location where the movie "Much Ado About Nothing" was filmed.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of your help! I will look into making reservations! We only have 2 days total in Tuscany, so we will look into all of these and try and make it to as many as we can. Are most of them pretty close in proximity? We were going to tour From Siena to montepulciano one day through montalcino the next day from siena up to florence though chianti.
thank you so much again!