Must Sees in Vienna

Jun 27th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Must Sees in Vienna

I will be in Vienna in July for only a weekend and would like to know what are the must see's and do's while I am there.
Jun 27th, 2007, 03:22 AM

My husband and I really enjoyed Schönbrunn Palace but that would definitely take a half day or more depending how in depth you go through it.

I was told to take the tram that circles the ring of Vienna that you can see lots of sites that way. (We never got a chance to do it though.)

The center of Vienna is very walkable and we were able to see lots of culture and sites. We also enjoyed visiting St. Stephen’s Cathedral.

Here is the link that I posted last year with the same question to help you. http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34826816

Enjoy your trip.
Jun 27th, 2007, 05:42 AM

Find Demel's. Sit down. Eat. It is the Vatican, no, the Louvre of pastry shops.

Although a bit undefined, just walk around the Ring, the architecture is astounding.
Jun 27th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Must see versus don't bother!
I suggested to a friend that the Kunsthistoriches Museum was a must see.
His reaction: That is where they have all that art junk isn't it? My must see became his must miss.

I suggested the Schönbrunn Palace.
His reaction: I don't give a rip about the royalty. Again my must see became his must miss.

I suggested the Lipizanner horses.
Didn't like horses.

I had sense enough not to suggest an opera. I could guess the reaction.

He was interested in the Riesenrad, that giant ferris wheel in Der Prater.
He also picked up on some of the drinking places.

I don't recall now if I suggested the Belvedere to him or not. I would rate that a "go to".

He was fascinated by the war museum. All those guns and pictures of X killing Y.

I did not suggest Das Haus der Musik for the same reason I did not suggest an opera.

All of those places for me are must sees, but for some the are relegated to the category of must miss.
Jul 1st, 2007, 09:00 AM
MaureenB

We enjoyed touring the Schonnbrun (sp?) palace and seeing the Lippizzaners' Morning Exercise with Music, both at the Hofburg complex. (The horses might be gone from the city in July, though, which would be too bad because their winter arena is an architectural marvel in itself.)

Vienna is a lovely walking city. You can walk from the Hofburg complex to Stephansdom and all around that area easily. Lots of window shopping, dining, architecture, ambiance. Take the side streets to find great little restaurants.
>-

Jul 18th, 2007, 06:52 PM

Anybody who is unfortunate enough to only have a weekend should be advised to stay close to downtown and WALK around. It is the gift of a great city that you just have to take it in. Breathe, see, observe, no museum ( and Vienna has great ones, and oh so many...)will do that trick. Don't rush around checking off the sites, just try to really get whatever strikes you.