Reload this Page >

must see in rome?

Search

must see in rome?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 08:51 AM
mike

must see in rome?

I will be traveling to Rome for five days in February, I need the help of experienced travelers to pick the ten best attractions there. Also, I only have time for one side trip. Where should we go? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance <BR>

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 10:27 AM
Monica

Hi Mike (I just read your review on Hotel Leveque in Paris!) <BR> <BR>I was in Italy this past May with my husband and we loved Rome! Make the time to just wander around. Check out the Campo di Fiori, an outdoor market during the day with fruits, vegetable, and seafood and lots of restaurants and cafes at night. Walk to Piazza Navona which is near Fiori. See the Pantheon, a perfect building; Trevi fountain; Spanish Steps and that area which has lots of shopping opportunities (on via del Corso). Of course visit the Vatican and climb the stairs of its dome for great views of the city! I'm sure you won't wear shorts in February, but no shorts or sleeveless tops at the Vatican (or any church in Italy for that matter. See the Sistine chapel and the Vatican museum. See the colosseum, the Roman Forum, the Baths of Caracalla. Visit Romes various museums such as the Archeological museum. There's also a museum in the Castel S. Angelo. Walk over to Trastevere and have lunch or dinner. Too bad you're going in Feb. only because you won't have the warm weather to enjoy sitting at an outside cafe. <BR> <BR>As for a side trip, you can visit Tivoli. For ruins, visit Pompei or Civitavecchia, another area which is a lot closer. I actually saw it from the airplane when we arrived in Rome. <BR> <BR>You'll love Rome! Ciao. Monica

Old Dec 5th, 1998, 07:01 PM
dave

Mike, <BR>Monica's response really covered it all. Personally, I enjoyed the Ruins the most. Since they're outdoors, you have to hope the weather cooperates. The other must see for me was the Coliseum, which I understand they now charge for. We were there 2 years ago and it was free. It seemed like every road lead to Trevi Fountain, definitely a place you want to see. If you can, walk the city rather than riding. It's a great city to wander around and just take in the atmosphere. I can't emphasize enough, watch our for pick pockets. We were very careful and had no problems but twice we avoided problems by being on our guard. Once, a teenager started to go for my camera bag as is sat on a chair at an outdoor cafe. Fortunately, I saw him coming and grabbed the bag and he turned in the other direction. It's a great city with great food. If you"re there on a Saturday night, go to the top of the Spanish Steps, the sight of all the people just walking around is amazing. Have a great trip. <BR>

Old Dec 6th, 1998, 03:04 AM
Maira

Mike: I'll never forget my first visit to Rome; very exciting and amazing city! <BR>(the Fodor's Guide is invaluable for this city). <BR> <BR>IMHO Top ten; <BR>1. Roman Forum 2. Colosseum 3. Trajan's Market (incudes Trajan's Column) 4. The Vatican Complex 5. City Hall Complex (Paladine Hill) 6. Spanish Steps 7. The Pantheon 8. Fontana de Trevi 9. Piazza Navona 10. Wonder the streets and be amazed by the fountains. <BR> <BR>Day trip: POMPEII, hands down. <BR> <BR>P.S. My husband liked Circus Maximus where the famous carriage duel on Ben Hur was filmed. (Caution: Go there during daytime, weather permitting.) <BR>

Old Dec 6th, 1998, 03:54 PM
erin

If you are in Rome on a Sunday and the weather is decent, check out the Porta Portese outdoor flea market in Trastevere. I was there in 1997 and we picked up good deals on merino wool twin sets and a friend got a nice leather jacket. Just watch out for pickpockets and gypsies.