Reload this Page >

Must see in Mont Blanc area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 10:00 AM
anne

I'm traveling to the French Alps next week, staying in Annecy and Cordon. What MUST I see in and around Mont Blanc?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:00 AM
lescribe

pens?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Alec

I'd suggest at least one cablecar ride on a fine day, either the expensive one(but worth it) to Aiguilles du Midi or to Brévant. A trip by cog railway to Mer de Glace glacier. Hike along the Balcon du Mont Blanc opposite the peak. And if you like a taste of Italy, through the re-opened Mont Blanc tunnel to the Aosta valley (Courmayour is an interesting town, full of delicatessen shops).

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 10:00 AM
martine

I agree with Alec. Take the "téléphérique" (= cable) to l'Aiguille du Midi (= a few meters lower than the Mont Blanc) but early in the morning (between 7 and 8 a.m.) When you don't, you will be standing in line between lots and lots of people (most japanese). When you come back down, you stop at the first "arrêt"(= stop) of the cable and you do the way down by foot.(take the left path). You will see a spectacular view with first snow, than gletjers,the alm and finally the woods. Chamonix is the niciest little town in the French Alps. The "mer de glace" is also a must. Have a good trip!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 04:03 PM
tupper

tp

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 11:14 AM
anne

Thanks all - I've heard about the cablecar and will move that up to "must do" on my list.