Reload this Page >

Must Rx be in original bottle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Cheryl

My husband and I take serval meds everyday.<BR>We like to use those plastic containers that say the days of the week.<BR>Will we have any problem with using them or should we take the meds in the original<BR>(pharmacy) bottles. Or, could we just bring copies of the RX's and still have the meds in the plactic container?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Lois

Cheryl<BR><BR>You shouldn't have a problem with carrying your medications like that. I have been to Europe several times and customs has never looked at medications.<BR><BR>How about anyone else out there?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 03:27 PM
peter

for drugs like antihypertensives etc as long as you have the original rx you probably will be ok if checked but for any narcotics especially or tranquikizers make ssure you have them in the original pharmacy bottle to avoid potential seriious problems with either foreign customs or upon reentering this country

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Denise

I know I'm being conservative but I would have them in the original bottle when I went through customs then put them in the day of the weeks containers once you're in the country. For me it would be worth it to prevent the hassle and inconvienence of being hassled about what the meds are etc...

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 04:24 PM
ttt

for cheryl

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Sue

I always haul the original containers, and it's beginning to take up too much room--and it's not going to get any better! I am contemplating just taking the meds next time. Has anyone on here been asked to show his/her meds? I wonder if there really is a customs regulation about this?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 04:32 PM
StCirq

My elderly parents travel to Europe almost every year and they each have one of those boxes with the pills neatly arranged by day and time. Never have they been questioned about the meds, and at times each of them has been taking some fairly strong stuff. Maybe it's because they're elderly that they haven't been questioned, but I get the feeling that unless you're bringing odd powders and strange-smelling herbs you won't be bothered by Customs or the guys who do the random searches these days.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Sue

Cheryl,<BR><BR>I never take the bottle or prescription on a trip. Originally, it never occured to me and then since I've never had a problem, I haven't changed. I put them into the days of the week container. <BR><BR>Maybe it would depend on the type of meds you take. Mine are thryoid, asthma, allergy, etc. No comment has ever been made.<BR><BR>Sue

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Tara

How would anyone know what type medicine they are ----- to even be alerted to ask a question.<BR>Some narcotics look just like my heart medicine and , and BP medicine.<BR>So how would anyone know what they are?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:50 PM
julie

To conserve on space we always just count out the pills we'll need for the trip and dump them all in one bottle for both of us. No exotic meds at all though. We've made 5 trips in the past 4 years and have never had a problem.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Cheryl

<BR>Thanks for all the replys--<BR>just to be safe and avoid any problems<BR>I'll have the pharmacist print out<BR>all the Rx's for my meds. Then if Customs wants to look at it I'll have it available.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Denise

I looked up the us customs regulations for your reference. These will be helpful for your return to the states. I am certain the country you are going to has a similar website that you can reference.<BR><BR>http://www.customs.gov/impoexpo/tools/archives/vol1n03/presmed.htm#top<BR><BR>http://www.customs.gov/travel/know.htm#Medication

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:16 PM
CalGal

In Nassau,my husband had to get pain killers from a hotel doctor.They were given to him in a little envelope.At the airport, the security man asked about the envelope,I was carrying them in my bag for him.When my husband told hm what they were, we were taken aside,they asked what hotel,called and confirmed it with the doctor.<BR>So I have always carried my pills in the bottles they came in.<BR>*Winona Ryder was charged for illegal drugs because she had pain killers in her purse,without the prescription bottle.They were just loose in her bag.*

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Mike

Oh, Please -- Winona Ryder's probably on illegal drugs.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:40 PM
dean

As someone on a large number of medications, the first precaution is that doctors reccomend never takina a medication out of the original bottle.<BR><BR>Second, have the pharmacy print out individual labels for you with the generic name of each medicine.<BR><BR>The issue is not customs, it can be your safety is a country where there might not be a doctor completely fluent in written English. I have to take over 11 pills, insulin, test kits, lancets etc and I would never try to skimp on space by using any but the original bottle. Sometimes I would get a perscription filled for say a 20 day supply for a 14 day trip so I am covered. <BR><BR>I always have the printed lables and I always carry a sheet with all the meds I take, dose, how often etc. <BR><BR>Many folk can over medicate or under medicate theirselves using the day of the week container system. <BR><BR>One last suggestion is to pack all you pill bottles into a tupperware or some other such container to keep track of them easily

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:53 PM
High

Winona's deifnitely on something - she said Adam Sandler could act!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:10 PM
janis

Definitely take meds in their original containers. Not withstanding all these posters who have "gotten away with it". US or foreign authorities can and do detain people every single day because of questions re drugs. It is also a good idea to carry a copy of the prescription<BR><BR>Sure, they take up room in your bags - but that is better than missing your flight because you had to explain all the unmarked medications.<BR><BR>And as security gets tighter and tighter - the chances for being questioned is greatly increased.<BR><BR>And most important - as dean said people do over/under medicate or have adverse reactions to meds. Even to ones they have taken for a long time. How do you explain - in a foreign language - while having a seizure or unconcious what the drug and its generic equivilant is?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:15 PM
Rudy

I would suggest keeping all medication in their original containers. I had an awful experience in Spain. First, I was randomly selected to be strip-searched (forget about civil rights when you're a foreigner). While searching through my bags, the inspectors found my prescription medication that I had kept in a smaller generic container (mind you, it was just Anaprox that I had been taking for tendonitis). I would literally been hauled off to jail if my friend's father weren't a prominent doctor in the town. As it was, they confiscated the pills for chemical analysis (never did get them back), and I was allowed to leave with my friend and his family under the condition that the good doctor vouched for me, making sure that I stuck around until the lab results came back. It was an experience I hope never to repeat.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:10 PM
Cheryl

Rudy<BR>Point well taken . The meds will remaimn in their own bottle and I bring along a prinout from the Pharmacy.<BR>That should take care of all my problems.<BR>Thanks for all help.<BR>And Denise---thanks for givng me the <BR>web site for Customs - it was very clear. KEEP the meds in their ORIGINAL bottles PLUS have a printout from the<BR>Dr. or the Pharmacy.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:53 PM
unravelau

Hi There,<BR><BR>While I have never been stopped, I took the precaution to have my medication in their respective bottles and packets and pocketed a supporting letter from my Doctor, plus a script or two just in case the medication went astray.<BR><BR>To be sure, to be sure.......better to be sure than sorry.<BR><BR>Unravelau

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -