Search

Music of Italy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Music of Italy

How easy is it to book tickets for an opera in either Florence/Rome/Bolonge/Venice? Is there a particular opera house that shouldn't be missed (planning on September '06)
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:24 PM

Hi there!
I've been to the opera house in Florence and also to La Scala in Milano. The opera house in Florence is OK -- the operas are generally good, but don't attract the big names as a general rule, and the staging can be a bit dodgy from time to time. I know it isn't on your list, but La Scala in Milan is historic, fabulous, and is worth a visit. Go to http://www.teatroallascala.org/publi...ala/index.html for info. As a hint, if you get a seat in the balcony, MAKE SURE THAT IT IS IN THE FRONT ROW! I have capitalized this, as when I was there the last time (a month ago), I found it was impossible to see the stage without standing and leaning forward. It has to do with the design of the building. You need to book quickly and can do so online, and the weekend tickets are often sold quickly. Since you will be in Venice, you might give Verona a shot (about 1 1/2 hours away by train) -- see http://www.frugalfun.com/verona-opera.html
for a review, BUT the opera season ends at the end of August.
Good luck!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:59 PM
LJ

The Opera in Rome is also very good. You can book ahead but it is not so hard to get tickets upon arrival. You may also enjoy the student operas put on around the corner from the Teatro del Opera in Rome at St. Paul-within-the-Walls Episcopalian Church on Via Nazionale.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'm always open to "off the beaten track" theatre. I really want to complete the whole "Italy experience" and see it a magnificent hall!
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 03:02 AM

Ardie - If you want a really unusual operatic experience in Venice don't miss 'Music in the Palace' at the PALAZZO BARBARIGO-MINOTTO.

This is a small-group performance in a private house just off the Grand canal - with room for an audience of no more than about 30. We saw La Traviata - it was a special, unique experience.

Each Act takes place in a different room in the palace, and the performers wander among the audience within touching distance. Very intimate - like having a performance in your own living room.

We enjoyed it so much we returned the following evening for a different show. This was a highlight of our holiday - an unforgettable experience.

For details of this and other operatic performances see:

http://www.aguestinvenice.com/

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Don't miss La Fenice in Venice!