Search

museum pass

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 04:47 PM
diane

museum pass

How & where do I purchase a museum pass? Is it just available for Paris/France or is there one that covers most of Europe?

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 03:55 AM
julia

Diane- You can purchase the museum passs at most museums and some attractions in Paris as well as major metro stations and the tourist office on the Champs Elysees. It is good for 1,3 or 5 days and well worth the price if you are a museum nut like I am. Try www.conciergerie.com/main.htm and see if you can purchase online. Good luck.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Amy

Diane...Do not, I repeat, do not buy the Paris Carte Musee online. There is no advantage and you waste a lot of dollars. You can buy these at your first museum or at major metro stations.<BR><BR>I do not know of a France- or Europe-wide card, but I'd love one. There are many regional passes. We used a Cote d'Azur pass for our Riviera trip, and it makes life so simple (plus encourages you to visit some museums multiple times).

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:20 AM
elaine

absolutely no reason to purchase the Paris museum pass on line!<BR>You will be paying a mark-up, and it is easily purchased in Paris at most metro stations, all participating museums<BR>(buy it at a small museum, even if you're not staying to see it) and at some hotel front desks.<BR>For Italy you can make advance timed reservations for the Accademia and the Uffizi in Florence, (call the Uffizi directly, and/or have your hotel make the arrangements, and/or order tickets from www.waf.it) and for the Borghese Gallery and Domus Aurea in Rome (again, have your hotel do it, or order on line from email [email protected]/. In Milan, to see the "Last Supper" you also need advance reservations to gain admittance to the church.<BR>

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Christina

Museums are city or nationally owned, mostly, if not private, so the logistics of getting all those entities together to produce a pass is just not going to happen. They are always local, I've never even seen a country-wide one. Many locales and cities have this type of thing though, you should read about them when reviewing your guidebook info for a place or checking with online tourist info sites. All of these passes are time-limited, also, and are geared to tourists. That means you have to use them within a few days of when you initiate them, usually. So, one for all of Europe wouldn't work so well in timing. Any city or place I've ever bought such passes at had them for sale in the museums on the pass and in the tourist offices.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:35 AM
kay

For the Netherlands, there is a national museum pass, about $30 and good throughout the country for a year. You'll need a small ID photo to affix to it, though I was usually able to get by with showing my passport as backup to the birthdate and signature I filled in on the card. I was only there for 6 days, but I certainly got my money's worth on the pass, seeing the major Amsterdam museums, plus a few offbeat ones and one each in The Hague and Haarlem.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 04:14 PM
pam

What would you say is the approximate price differential between purchasing the museum card for Paris once there as opposed to on-line purchase?<BR>Thank YOu

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:49 PM
L

you can not get the pass at all metro stops and all museums, only specific ones. We bought ours this March at Invalids museum in the 7th.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Betty

Just got back 2 weeks ago & the first thing we did when we arrived in Paris was to purchase the musee pass at the St Germaine du Pres metro station. The cost was approximately $27 euros for a 3 day pass; it was worth every penny especially when you take a look at the Disney like lines just to get into the musees. The wonderful thing about the pass is that you simply walk past everyone in line & enter through another door with your pass, no waiting. The 3 days do not begin until an attendant marks the date on your card, if you are lucky they may forget & you'll get an extra day. Enjoy.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Yvonne

For Pam - Go to google and type in Paris musuem pass. Select the site intermusee.com. I know I spelled it wrong. Look at the price for the pass you want - 1, 3 or 5 days. Then go to the site mentioned in an earlier post above to see what the mark up is.