museum pass

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Veronica

museum pass

will stay in paris for 5 days. May go to Louvre, musee d'orsay and musee marmottan claude monet. Does it worth to buy a museum pass?

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:21 AM
elaine

Hi
For me, the value of the museum pass is almost exclusively to save time waiting in line at the Louvre and the Orsay museums. Anything I save on admission charges to other museums is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned.
The Marmottan is not included on the pass, but I highly recommend it if you enjoy Monet's work.
The website for the carte musee (museum pass) has been "under construction" for a while, but I think there's some info on it at www.paris.org

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:56 AM
elvira

Two conditions: the passes are sold for 1 or 3 or 5 days. 1) Unless you plan to visit museums (like 2 a day) for each day of the pass, the pass is expensive or 2) want to avoid the long lines and are willing to pay a premium by buying the pass to do that.

You can buy Louvre tickets on line through Ticketweb or at FNAC for pickup, and avoid the lines. The Marmottan never has incredibly long lines, so that won't be an issue. The Musee d'Orsay's lines are huge; they are open late on Thursday, and the lines are manageable after 5pm.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Stef

It is absolutely worth it. It is a good deal and it gets you into so many sights. We used it for the Louvre, "Napoleon's Tomb", the Rodin museum and other things....Go for it.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Christina

I think it really depends WHEN you plan to go. If it's not a peak tourist time, I wouldn't bother. I have never bought one until last July when I really wanted to go to the d'Orsay again and lines were 2 blocks long (partly because it was a very rainy time in Paris, I think). Even for the Louvre, I've never bought one and not waited that long, but I plan my visits on off-peak times and days. I might get a 3-day one for your wants unless you're going in winter, but you need to plan to go to museums on those exact days.

Their website www.intermusees.com was down for a long time but has been working for a while now.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:59 AM
amy

I am an enthusiastic supporter of the museum pass for several reasons.

First,it's a guarantee you won't be spending precious tourist time in a line. It's hard to predict actual "busy" days. In the dead of winter, I've see the line wrap around the block at Musee d'Orsay; yet I've also seen days in July when there was no line. The pass keeps you from having to read tea leaves!

Second, buying a pass gives you the freedom to take a break anytime you want. No one should be doing the Louvre in one day. Visit for one hour, two and leave. Come back an hour, a day later. You're giving yourself options.

Third, the pass encourages you to see something you might otherwise have passed up. We visted the Rodin and Military museums because a)we felt like it and b)it was on the pass. Having enough energy one day and having it included in the pass was also our excuse for the Musee Picasso, a true revelation. I still don't like the artist or most of his work; I do, however, now appreciate the sheer breadth of his achievements.

I love the outdoors of Paris, but I also liken its museums to the string of museums at the Smithsonian. They're all so wonderful, it seems a shame not to visit them. I think (lost count) we'll be going to Paris for the 7th or 8th time this summer--I'll still buy a pass.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 11:16 AM
bmused

tp

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Barb

Veronica--I strongly second the supporters of the Carte Musee. Amy gave a great list of reasons, but I want to repeat this: If you want to go into a museum just for a few minutes, or to fill some time, or to see a favorite work just one more time, the pass gives you the freedom to do it. Don't miss The Rodin Museum, it's very relaxing, and the gardens are fabulous!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 11:14 PM
MBK

Just got back from Paris Thursday pm. I'd recommend the pass for all the reasons listed previously. Why spend any time waiting if you can avoid it?

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 03:26 AM
ann

Can anyone be more specific regarding what are best times to avoid lines? Is first thing in the morning better or wrose than later in the day. What about after 3 pm - do the lines get long again because the price goes down or doesn't it matter? I know evening are suppossed to be good. Unfortunatley I believe the D'Orsay's evening is Thursday which is the one day I won't be there - any other suggestions (besides the pass) for that one? And those of you who just came back, or have been there other years at this time of year (I'm going next week) - what exactly is meant by "long" lines? Thanks

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Jennifer

*****One Caveat*****

Children are allowed free in many museums. Even though you, as a museum pass holder, can bypass the long queues, your kids cannot, unless they also have museum passes.

That should be a top consideration for those traveling with children!

Jennifer

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Gretchen

I think this last post is in error, according to a post on another board. The child can enter with the pass holder. If the person is a teen bring identification to confirm age.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Gretchen

To Ann who asked how long the lines are this time of year--we were in Paris last March this week--the line at the d'Orsay was around the end of the building--150 Yards? The person who pointed out that you may pass a museum and just "pop in" because you can is exactly right. And a museum that has become among our favorites is the Carnavalet--the museum of the city of Paris as depicted in art. It is truly fabulous.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Rosanne

We visited the Louvre, Orsay, Rodin, Versailles with our 15 yr. old and did not buy him a pass. He carried ID, but was never asked for it. I do believe we had to pay a little extra to visit Invalides, but we went right to the front of all the lines. I agree with everyone else...get the pass...buy it at a smaller museum.