Munich to Venice question

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 04:12 AM
ann

Munich to Venice question

Will be driving from Munich to Venice next summer. I know I want to see the castles near Fussen, and Salzburg but not sure what else I might be close to that would be interesting to stop in. I'll have about 3 days. I have read about two towns in Austria, Hopfgarten and Hallstadt (spelling?) that sound interesting and on my map it looks like I could go by them without going too far out of my way. My research turned up very little info on them (but one beautiful photo of Hallstadt) and I can go longer find the original posts that were talking about them. Anyone been there, or anyway else in the area that could offer some advice. Thanks

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 06:49 AM
wes fowler

Ann,<BR>Upper Bavaria offers far more than just the two castles in Fussen. Consider Ludwig's castle Linderhof near Oberammergau. Consider the Baroque masterpieces, Wieskirche and Ettal monastery. Consider the opportunity to see 13 Alpine lakes and stunning vistas of the German Alpine range. Consider the cog rail up the Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain. In Austria, look to Salzburg, Hallstatt, the Wolfgangsee with the charming villages of St. Wolfgang and St. Gilgen. Consider the Grossglockner pass on your way to Italy. Drop me an Email if you'd like some driving itineraries in Bavaria.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Rex

Read about and consider Landshut for a half-day (or overnight) visit as you are leaving Munich, headed in the general direction of Salzburg. It isn't "on the way", strictly speaking - - but easily fits in with a "back roads" between the two.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 11:20 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Ann, As usual, Wes is right on. All of that will take 3 days and be lovely.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 12:36 PM
David

Was in Hallstadt in Spring of 2000. A beautiful little town with a waterfall as a backdrop. Liked the little town so much we stayed an extra night. A great restaurant in the south west corner of the main plaza. Took a tour of a salt mine just outside of town. It was interesting. Rented a little electric boat and puttered around the lake for an hour. Got some great photos.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:49 AM
ann

Thanks for all your replys, we're thinking of adding an extra day. My daughters are interested in a cog railway or gondola ride but the one's I've read about seem to be over $40 each which seems like a lot. Has anyone done that, know of anything less expensive? Can you see the scenery as well on back roads, mountain passes? thanks

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:06 AM
victor

If you feel that Zugspitze, there are other alternatives like Karwendel. It cost of the rate of Zugspitze. <BR>Follow Wes's advice which is what we did & we had a good time . If you need any idea, u can read our trip report at www.vgpma.com/travel/<BR><BR>enjoy.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:07 AM
Steve James

Hello Ann,<BR><BR>If you're driving through the Dolomites en route, DON'T MISS the LAGAZUOI Gondola ride on Falzarego Pass, - between Corvara and Cortina.<BR><BR>Arguably the best gondola ride in the Dolomites. Certainly the best I've ever done!<BR><BR>It should cost about 15-20 EURO.<BR><BR>Steve