Reload this Page >

Munich to Salzburg?

Search

Munich to Salzburg?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 07:19 PM
Mare

Munich to Salzburg?

Planning a trip to Germany and would like to stay in Munich. Any hotel recommendations? Also would like to see the Nurburgring Track while in Germany. Does anyone know how long it will take by car from Munich to drive there? How far to drive to Salzburg Austria from Munich? Is it better to take trains to these two destinations--is it too far that it would require an overnight stay at either when traveling by car from Munich? Please Advise. Thanx

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 07:26 PM
chris

See the following link regarding your driving times and distances. <BR> <BR>http://www.cwlease.com/cwlint/index2.htm

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 12:58 PM
Russ

For Salzburg, take the train. You can get there in about 2 hours riding the regional trains on the "Schönes Wochenende" ticket (Sat or Sun, 35 DM round trip for a party of up to 5 people) or the "Bayern Ticket" (weekdays, 40 DM, same details but with peak hour restrictions.) I found Munich driving and Salzburg parking a real hassle, and with even just 2 people, at about $9 each round trip, you'll probably spend less than for gas alone. <BR> <BR>You'll want to overnight in the Eifel region if you're going to the track there -- it's quite a long drive from Munich, I think.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 02:26 PM
wes fowler

Mare, <BR>The drive from Munich to Adenau and the Nurburgring track encompasses about 360 miles and more than 6 hours drive time, almost all of which wuld be via autobahn and hardly scenic. How many days do you plan to spend in Germany? At what time of year? If you plan on driving, you might consider staying outside of Munich in a Bavarian gasthaus; accommodations would be much less costly than in the city. You could drive from a rural town to one of the S-bahn stations and at minimal cost take a local suburban train to Munich for sightseeing there. Just coincidentally, earlier this year I offered some suggestions for auto travel within Bavaria and on to Nurburgring for the German Grand Prix to a couple interested in Formula One racing. Email me directly and I can provide you with the same information if you'd like.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 08:32 PM
harzer

The Nuerburgring is not near Nuernberg, but out west of Koblenz, and a good six hours driving from Munich, as Wes suggests. If you make it and there is no racing on you can do a few laps in your own car, for a fee I expect.