Munich Springfest in May

Search

Munich Springfest in May

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich Springfest in May

We will be in Munich May 3-7, during the Frühlingsfest/Springfest. We are actually interested in seeing museums and Nymphemberg Palace rather than the beer festival. Can anyone tell us if the usual tourist sites will be crowded during that week? Perhaps visits during morning hours would be less crowded? Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 10:55 AM

I lived in Munich for eight years and barely ever noticed Frühlingsfest.
It's nothing more than a regional thing with a few beer tents and many fairground attractions.
It won't have any impact on any other tourist sights.
Even during the big one in September (Oktoberfest) you hardly have any more tourists than usual at the other sights as 99% of all visitors of either fest go there to drink, and not to *waste* their time at cultural venues like museums.
And that week will be less busy than the week before with May 1st being a national holiday makes it a long weekend.
So in a worst case scenario, May 3rd could still be a bit more busy than any other Sunday in spring.
Most museums will be closed mondays, but Nymphenburg palace and gardens is open 7 days/week. The palace(s) in Nymphenburg have regular hours (9-6, I think) and a fee, while the park is open for free from 6am - 8pm.
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!

Many thanks, Cowboy! Your reply puts my mind at rest! We may still wander over there to watch the party-goers!
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 02:05 PM

Sure, it should be fun unless the weather does not play along.
The fest itself has no general entrance fee. If you want to ride the rollercoasters or ferris wheel, you pay individually at each ride.
In case you need lunch or a beer or both the nearby Wirtshaus am Bavariapark is usually a good option to get away from the crowds in a few minutes walking time.
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Will do! Vielen Danke!