Reload this Page >

Munich/Salzburg/Innsbruck Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 12:27 PM
Julie

Please advise...I am travelling to Munich this summer. My husband and I will be there for one week. I am seeking information on how far by train it is to Munich and also Salzburg. We have never been to either. Last year we were in Switzerland, but the Alps were totally in clouds..boohoo...therefore, we are extremely Alp hungary. I would truly appreciate your suggestions. I feel we will be railing back and forth daily, as our hotel in Munich is paid for... Please lists the "Must not miss" sights! Thank you...atravelintexan...

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 12:28 PM
Julie

geez...i need to proofread...i would like info on Munich to Innsbruck....and Munich to Salsburg...thank you

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 12:40 PM
Ben Haines

I'vew answered your other posting. Fir things to see there are useful websites. <BR> <BR>http://www.salzburginfo.at <BR>large scale system of links <BR>http://www.tiscover.com/1Root/system...epage...2.html <BR> <BR>Ben Haines

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 03:26 PM
the turnip

Julie, Everyone's must see's are often different depending on your interests. Sorry but I've always felt Munich was vastly over rated and a major hassle to drive in. There is still plenty to see and do there but personally it's not one of my favorites. <BR> <BR>Here are my own must see's. <BR> <BR>1. Neuschwanstein. Ludwig's fairy tale castle is one of my favorite destinations in all of Europe. If you go you MUST take the hike behind the castle to the Maria Bridge for drop dead gorgeous views or even higher for the spot where most of the postcard photo's are taken. Get their as early as possible or expect long lines to see the partially finished interior. <BR> <BR>2. Salzburg. It's only an hour or two away from Munich and much cozier and romantic. I'd spend the night in Salzburg for sure and ... <BR> <BR>3. Daytrip down to the Konigsee. There you can take a ride on an electric boat for some fantastic views as well as some easy hiking back to yet another beautiful lake. <BR> <BR>4. Even though it's a bit of a drive (check Euroshell for actual distance) I would make the trek if at possible to Rothenburg and spend the night there. <BR> <BR>Just my 2 cents... <BR> <BR>Cheers from the teutonic turnip

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 03:28 PM
the turnip

For Alps why not try the Zugspitze? <BR> <BR>tpr

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 04:00 PM
C. Benoit

Message: My family traveled thru Switzerland last summer also and ended our trip in Austria and Germany. In Austria we stayed in Hallstatt, which is very beautiful (thru the raindrops). We spent an afternoon visiting Salzburg. The Mirabell Gardens were in full bloom and singing groups giving concerts in the squares. We even enjoyed an evening at home this winter watching "The Sound of Music" and picking out all the spots we had visited while in Salzburg. We then drove on to Newchwanstein Castle. Again lots of clouds but still pretty impresive. We also stumbled upon Wieskirch, Germany. There is the most incredible, restored rococo-style church sitting in a farm pasture. It is only a few miles from the Castle. We then traveled on to Munich. My husband, 17 year old son and I really enjoyed the BMW Museum, but other than that we didn't spend a lot of time in the city. We took a drive (2 hours) to Rothenburg, Germany. Not many mountains out that way but a beautifully restored medival village. We had no trouble with driving in either country and parking at our hotel in Munich wasn't a problem. Keep your fingers crossed for better weather this year.