Munich question for Peep

Apr 4th, 2003, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Munich question for Peep

I can't seem to find anyone who has information on a hotel that I booked in the old center of Munich and since you live there wondered if you could help. Do you know anything about the Hotel Atlanta? It's on Sendlinger Strasse just inside the gate. I didn't have much to choose from in my price range and desired Altstadt location since we will be there during a trade fair and just a few days before Oktoberfest. Is this place and location okay?

Danke!
Apr 4th, 2003, 12:32 PM

Here's the website: http://www.muenchen-tourist.de/deutsch/zimmeressen/atlanta/atlanta.htm
(tip: you will get more results when you do a search for München instead of Munich)
Apr 4th, 2003, 12:33 PM

Here's their own website, in English!
http://www.hotel-atlanta.de/english/index.htm
Apr 5th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I used their web site to do my research when I booked them. It looks nice in the photos and the location seems good. Plus they were helpful when I made my booking via e-mail But . . . I would really like to have a personal recommendation from someone, anyone who knows the area or is familiar with the hotel to let me know if I made a good decision. Pictures on web sites can be deceiving and I can't find any recommendations from guidebooks. Thanks.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 01:45 PM
Peep

Hello! I just saw this post. Sorry, don't have a clue about that hotel but the location is reasonable. Next time I'm over there I'll take a look.

Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! We will be there next month so we will stick with this hotel. They've been very reponsive to my e-mails. I've done more reading and I do think the location is good, generally seems safer and cleaner than around the train station. Plus seems to be easier walking distance to the sights in the central area.

If you find out more I'd love to hear it!
Aug 23rd, 2003, 01:52 PM

A percfect example of why these boards are so great!
People like Peep , going out of their way to be helpful,
Aug 24th, 2003, 05:43 PM

I am from Munich. I don't know the hotel, but the location is great. You only have to go 1 station with the subway to get to the Oktoberfest. It is really downtown.
Aug 25th, 2003, 05:58 AM
Peep

Hey! That location is IMO much better than by the train station! You can walk from there to Oktoberfest (are you going?) or Marienplatz. Don't miss the Asamkirche just down the street towards Marienplatz. It's a beautiful little church.

Aug 25th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like even if the hotel is not the nicest (and I'm not expecting anything fancy-just a clean room and decent breakfast) the location sounds perfect. Last time we were in the Bavaria area we stayed about an hour out of Munich and saw very little of the city. This time we want to be in the heart of the Altstadt so we can walk everywhere. I've read about the Asamkirche, it sounds lovely.

We won't be there during much of Oktoberfest, leaving the Saturday it begins to go down to the Salzburg area for a week. But will be back for one day during the fest since our flight home departs from Munich. We plan to get over to the fairgrounds for at least part of a day.

Peep and Alpenhuette
What "don't miss" things should we do on that quick day? Which beer tents are your favorites?
Aug 25th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Peep

What day of the week are you going to Oktoberfest? Sat and Sun afternoon, as early as 12 or 1, it's packed. During the week if you get to a beer tent mid-afternoon you should be able to find a place to sit. After 5 or 6 they'll probably all be packed. That's assuming you want to sit in a tent and drink beer! You pretty much have to be seated to buy a beer. It's fun just to walk around the grounds, though, and ride the rides, shop and people watch. The only beer tent I wouldn't hang out in is the Hofbrau one that seems to be for the serious partiers. Some people love it.

Aug 26th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

We'll be there on a Monday, taking the train in from Fuessen, probably arrive around noon. We'll store our bags at the train station since we are staying at the Sheraton
Airport hotel due to an early morning flight out the next day.

We're not wild party people but would love to go to a beer tent and have a drink. From what I've seen of beer tent photos the Hacker Pschor (sp?) looks pretty neat.

Not sure about riding rides (after drinking a huge beer???) but we love fairs and probably wil have fun just walking around looking at everything. Are there exhibits too?