Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Munich or Milan over Christmas/New years?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2008, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We will be traveling from the US to Zermatt, via Geneva over Christmas 2008. Our children will be 16 and 13. We have accomodations in Zermatt from December 19-26, 2008. We are trying to decide on another destination from December 26 to January 2, 2009-our anticipated departure date. We are considering Munich or Milano. We know reservations will be difficult. Any recommendations are appreciated. Also, any reports of the renovated Hotel Post in Zermatt?

Thanks! D.W.B.

Old May 1st, 2008, 10:14 AM

I live in Munich and it is nice at Christmas time. You should try to get here in time to see the Christmas markets. I also lived in Italy and Milan is not bad either! Maybe you can try to see both? It's a 7 hour train ride and if you book through the DB you can normally book for 30 euro. Reservations should not be difficult to get in either city for the hotel, especially if you book in advance.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
Jen

I was in Munich this past Christmas, and thought it was great-- but be aware that the Christmas market packs up on Christmas Eve, so you'll miss that.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:28 AM

We were in Munich this past Christmas, and so much was closed after 2pm on the 24th until the morning of the 27th. Probably wouldn't do it again.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:01 AM

>so much was closed after 2pm on the 24th until the morning of the 27th

Surprise surprise...

As the German posters on here keep telling people again and again, to experience 'German Christmas' one has to come here during Advent, i.e. the four weeks BEFORE Christmas Eve, not during the holidays.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:10 AM

We did come early enough to experience the "German Christmas," but I am saying that a lot is closed, and we wouldn't visit over the 24-27 again in the future.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:46 PM

I found Milan a rather cold, modern and uninviting city. It is very different from the rest of the Italian towns we visited.

I really love Munich. I've been there 4 time and have found new things to see each time. I've never been there at Christmas, but I think it would be a great experience!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 01:08 PM

<i>I've never been there at Christmas, but I think it would be a great experience!</i>

The OP thinks about going to Munich from Dec 26 - Jan 2. That is not Christmas time, that is <b>after</b> Christmas time (allright, Dec 26 is 2nd day of Christmas but a quiet public holiday in Germany).
No Christmas markets, no mulled wine, no nothing. That is the time when people are happy that 4 weeks of getting drunk with gl&uuml;hwein and 3 days of Christmas celebrations are finally <b>over</b>. And they start buying fireworks for NYE.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi dwbesq,

we spent successive &quot;between Xmas and New year&quot; periods in Prague and Budapest.

they were both very Christmassy, the markets were still on, the opera and theatres were in full swing.

either would make a good choice for this difficult period.

wherever you decide to go, get your hotel bookings for 30th Dec to 2nd Jan asap - those dates get booked up really quickly.

regards, ann
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your assistance. I am now considering staying in the Alps to ski, maybe Lech, Austria, rather than expect too much from an urban area right after Christmas. We thought ringing in the New Year in a larger metropolitan area might be fun, but because of the lull between Christmas and then, it may not be worth it. Thanks again.
Auf wiedersehen.