Reload this Page >

Munich -- day trips?

Search

Munich -- day trips?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 12:50 PM
D. Spiegel

Munich -- day trips?

Will be spending several days in Munich (have been there before). I know that Salzburg is only an hour and a half by train, and Innsbruck is two hours. Any other thoughts of day trips within an hour or two by train to quaint little towns -- looking for photo opportunities. Thanks.

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 12:59 PM
Lee

On the way to Salzburg, make sure you stop in Bertchesgaden. It's a lovely town in the valley near the border. When driving southwest from Munich, head to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, a beautiful area in the alps that includes the Zugspitz. Don't stop there as (very) close by is the town of Ettal with it's ornate basillica, King Ludwigs' Linderhof castle and the town of Oberammergau with painted murals on nearly every home and building. Garmisch is only about 60 km from Innsbruck. There's nothing quite like driving into the alps from Munich! This entire area is just about breathtaking. Enjoy!

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 06:42 AM
Jason Metcalf

There are some great day trips. Two I remeber are: <BR>Daccau (sp?) the German Concentration camp is near Munich. It is a quick train ride are car drive from town. There is a museum and a historical film as well as some reconstructed buildings. <BR> <BR>I forgot the name, but the "Disney Castle" is near Munich. You know the one the Majic Kingdom is modeled after. Anyway, be prepared for some long lines, but my friends had a great time. <BR> <BR>Salsburg is great, but it is not a day trip sort of place, you could actually spend quite a lot of time there. Like the "sound of music tour" where they take you to all of the sites in the movie with Julie Andrews. Pretty Corny, but a laugh.

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 10:12 AM
Mel Roberts

I'm not sure if Jason Metcalf is referring to Mad King Ludwig's Neuschwanstein Castle in the Bavarian Alps. In any case you should definitely make a beeline for it. It has to be the most impressive castle ever built! It is set up on the top of a rock, and strange Mercedes army-type vehicles take you up to it. When you're there you'll get to appreciate where the 'Mad' in Mad King Ludwig came from. And I believe there's a bridge nearby with spectacular views towards the castle with the Alps in the background. It's not to be missed! Unfortunately I can't remember the town it's closest to, but I have a feeling it wasn't too far away from Reutte. Any half-decent travel map should show it anyway. In any case have a good trip, it's a beautiful part of the world!

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 10:47 AM
Lee

The two previous posters were referring to: <BR> <BR>1) Dachau concentration camp which is very close to Munich. It is an interesting trip, but as I remember, not a dry eye as you exit. A few buildings remain, but the film and exhibit are very good. <BR> <BR>2) Neuschwanstein Castle is indeed the "Disneyland Castle". You can find it by taking the autobahn west from Munich and you will make your way to the southernmost part of the "Romantic Road". This will take you to Fussen and nearby Schwangau. The castle can be found perched on a mountainside and above Ludwig's parental home "Hohenschwangau". The castle is reached either on foot (tough walk) or by horse drawn cart which takes you about 3/4's of the way up. Tours are conducted in various languages. The nearby bridge is the Marienbrucke, which is beside the castle and offers a dazzling view. The trip could be done in one day. It would take about two hours from Munich, several hours there and then the return trip, which would warrant a 2 litre beer and schwienbraten at the Hofbrauhaus. Go early and avoid (larger)crowds. Pictures are not supposed to be taken inside the castle, but the view of the countryside is something. Have fun!