Munich City Gates

Search

Munich City Gates

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich City Gates

Just down the street from Marienplatz, (Munich's main square since the 1100s) , in three directions, are the remains of the Munich medieval city gates, dating back to the 1300s.

To the west is Karlstor. The walk to Karlstor from Marienplatz will take you on wide pedestrian streets, past St. Michael’s, the church that contains the remains of King Ludwig II, the young king that built the castle that inspired the Disney Castle (Neuschwanstein Castle). For a nominal fee, you can visit the crypt of the deceased kings underneath the church.

To the east of Marienplatz is Isartor, the city gate that faces the River Isar. This one is the most beautiful, in my opinion, with paintings still adorning it.

To the south is Sendlinger Tor, the oldest of the three gates is partially covered by ivy. On the way to Sendlinger Tor, stop by Assam Kirsche, the church designed and built by two famous architect brothers. The interior is covered with gold, lots of it. The house they lived in is beside the church. It contains office and retail spaces now; we walked into their courtyard.

City walls connected these gates and stood until the late 1700s when the ruler of the time tore it down since it impeded the growth of the city. These were the outer city walls. Inner city walls were replaced by the outer city walls in the 1200s. Try to walk to all the gates, it will give you an idea of the size of the Medieval Munich city center. All are walkable from Marienplatz, even on the same day. All roads to the gates from Marienplatz are lined with restaurants and shops.

Stop at any gate named U-Bahn or S-Bahn station (i.e. Isartor, Karlstor or Sendlinger Tor). Walk towards the center to Marienplatz to see the cuckoo clock and Viktuellemarkt - Munich's famous market contains a biergarten. From there, you can decide which gate to visit next.

Feel free to check my blog for pictures.
http://budgettravelwithkids.com/blog/munich/

Happy Exploring!
Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 11:03 PM

Since you so happily advertise your blog, please recheck your spellings of placenames as some are quite funny... It's Asamkirche - "Kirsche" means cherry, and the Asam brothers weren't from India either.

The three town gates are not exactly authentic medieval structures - most of what you see now is 19th century historism, including your praised frescoes.

And where did you see a cuckoo clock on Marienplatz?!
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 10:21 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I was wondering about the cuckoo clock myself. I assume the OP is referring to the Rathaus Glockenspiel?
Old Feb 3rd, 2016, 11:02 AM

Cuckoo clocks are typical for the Black Forest which is 300km away from München.

I doubt if you see a cuckoo clock in Bavaria and if you see one, it is not authentic and either imported from the Black Forest or made in China.
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Quokka, thank you for correcting my spelling errors. As you can see, I don't speak German or else it would have been very obvious to me.

As for the city gates, I noticed that there were plaques with dates of 1300s on at least two of the three gates. When I looked online, it wasn't clear what was original, what was restored and what was rebuilt. Either way, I thought it was interesting to walk to all three of them to get a feel of the size of medieval Munich, even if not all of it was original. My understanding was that even if they were rebuilt, they were rebuilt to look like the original.

As for the Glockenspiel, perhaps I should have referred to it by its official name. I had heard it described as a cuckoo clock in the past, which I thought was a helpful description, and thought it would be the same for non-German speakers. I apologize if I had caused any offense.