Munich Area for Apartment

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2015, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning our trip for 2016 , we plan to visit Budapest, Prague and Vienna and then Munich. We will be in Munich the longest and I am thinking of renting an apartment. We have rented in Paris many times and enjoy the apartment experience. I have never been to Munich and am looking for advice on areas good to stay in. I would like to be close to tourist sites, restaurants and transportation. We will be in Munich in June. Any information would be appreciated
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 01:16 PM

There are restaurants and good transportation everywhere in Munich, but the sights are quite varied and, for most people, a bit sprawling, so you might as well give priority to finding an apartment whose interior works well for you and figure that you'll be using public transportation like a native. It's clean, safe, easy and speedy.

For June, it might make sense to be within easy walking distance of the Englischer Gardens. But if you like an attractive Old World neighborhood (most of Munich is modern) the area around the church of St. Anna in the Lehel district was the most attractive neighborhood I encountered in Munich, and pleasantly just a bit beyond the most touristy areas of the center.

http://wheretogowhattosee.com/german...ntre/lehel.php

Another interesesting part of town for me was Maxvoorstradt, which felt more bohemian and has a lot of attractive but inexpensive eateries and cafes, and bookstores.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Munich/Maxvorstadt
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 01:18 PM

(Btw, I just went there as a tourist for a week and I think there a residents or frequent visitors who post here who know more about the overall layout of Munich.)
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 01:20 PM

Sorry for my misspelling: Maxvorstadt
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 01:28 PM

One more thing I forgot to mention is that there is a weekly organic farmer's market in St Anna Platz in the Lehel district, nice if you'll be cooking in the apartment.
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 01:57 PM

Haidhausen or Au. They're close to the center, close to Ostbahnhf and just regular neighborhoods. I used to live there, so I'm a bit biased, but that's a good area regardless. The only area I wouldn't recommend is right around Hauptbahnhof. Lots of people stay there and like it, but IMO it's the least desirable area in the center.