Munich Apr. 5 -10 no rooms Help!

Mar 11th, 2001, 08:22 AM
nancy

Munich Apr. 5 -10 no rooms Help!

We'll be in Munich 4/5 - 4/10 and cannot find a hotel room. everything is booked. What is going on? Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Mar 11th, 2001, 08:46 AM
Ursula

Nancy: Munich has often very big conventions and fairs. It's also very popular with European tourists. Maybe you should try through the Tourist Board. You can go to
www.muenchen.de
The site is only in German. They are still working on the English site.
Hope you succeed!

Mar 11th, 2001, 10:42 AM
Alec

As Ursula says, Munich has a busy calenday of trade fairs (Messen). From 2-8 April there is BAUMA, 'the world's largest trade fair for construction industry'! Also 8 April is Palm Sunday, the start of the Easter holiday season when many Europeans, esp with children on school holiday, visit the city. Since 'starred' hotels may be block booked for the fair, you should consider smaller hotels and pensions. If all else fails, try towns on the commuter lines (S Bahn), like Starnberg or Freising, where accommodation is easier to find and cheaper.

Mar 11th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Sue

Try the Europaischer Hof at www.heh.de/e/

Mar 11th, 2001, 10:53 AM
nancy

Thanks for the advice. We're now looking at Plan B - stay somewhere else for a few days till rooms open up.

Mar 11th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Rex

I recommend your considering Landshut. A wonderful little place, and no further from the Munich airport than downtown Munich (the opposite direction, though). An easy 25 minute drive.

And one other alternative: Dachau. People usually only think of Dachau in connection with Gedenkstatte (concentration camp and memorial), but the town itself is a pleasant little diversion. It was an artists' colony for centuries, long before its more recent infamy.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 11th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Steve Mueller

Try booking a room through a travel agent. They can often get rooms at hotels that claim nothing is available.

Mar 12th, 2001, 03:27 AM
Chris

Try Nethotels.com. Good luck!

Mar 12th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Sue

We stayed in Augsburg, which we loved. About 30-45 mins from Munich by train.

Mar 12th, 2001, 08:20 AM
Doug

Landsberg am Lech is the next big town about 15 miles due West. Some real nice and inexpensive hotels there. The Goggl is very nice with a great restaurant.

Go to:
http://www.landsberg.de/_englisch/welcome.htm

Mar 12th, 2001, 07:16 PM
beth

I tried for 1 week solid to get a room anywhere NEAR Munich for that week and finally gave up. I did find a place that I can't recall the name of (something like Strobl) that had a room available. They are near a metro stop also. About 30-45 minutes from downtown (too far for me for the 1 night we will be there).
I finally decided that there wasn't anything in Munich that couldn't wait for the next trip. We're going on to Nurnberg.

Mar 12th, 2001, 07:27 PM
xxx

http://sta-net.de/forsthaus/index.htm is not far away. I don't know if it needs a "www" or not.

Mar 12th, 2001, 09:38 PM
mark

dear nancy

I am going to munich tonight to see a soccer match & i have a hotel , recommended by a friend called the Sol Inn
tel. 0049 8951490787 fax 0049 8951790701

unfortunately i have no idea where it is in relation to monuments etc but i think its close to the soccer ground

good luck

Mar 12th, 2001, 11:49 PM
Gina

Dear Nancy,
I had your same problem when trying to find accomodation for Oktoberfest last fall. I booked my family in a hotel call Starnberg See Hotel on Lake Starnberg. It was beautiful and relaxing. They have a website and a 1-800 number for booking through the US. We would take train to Munich (about 15 minutes) which was very crowded at that time and the hotel was a great get-away. The hotel also arranged taxi service from the airport to the hotel at a cost of about $60 (minivan and 5 people and lots of luggage). I hope this helps.

Mar 15th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Barb

Dear Nancy,
Last year we stayed in the town of Freising ( an easy commute by train from Munich.) Actually, someone on this forum recommended the Marriott. It was a beautiful and spotless clean Hotel with a neat wine stube and fantastic breakfast. The cost was about $89. night. We are going back in May.

Mar 16th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Darrell

I just returned from München 2 days ago. A large international fair had everything booked. We found accomodations in Dachau, a very pleasant and attractive town just outside München. We had a car, but chose to leave it at the Dachau Bahnhof and take the S-2 Bahn into München. It is about 20 minute ride, and comes about every 20 minutes. E-mail me if you would like specifics.

Mar 24th, 2001, 07:28 AM
j

Hi Nancy,

I live in Munich, maybe I can help you.
How many People are you, what kind of hotel you are looking for?

Mar 26th, 2001, 02:15 PM
nancy207

Many thanks for all the input. Since we have been to Munich several times and are disappointed we couldn't get a room easily, we opted to start our mini vacaion in Innsbruck - a place we have never been to. We will return to Munich on Sunday when we were able to get hotel reservations. So thanks, again, everyone for your help. Nancy