Munich & Salzburg

Search

Munich & Salzburg

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich & Salzburg

My husband and I will be travelling with our three kids (6,9,12) from May 21-June 5. We will be flying into Munich (arriving May 22) and then departing from Salzburg (May 29). The next leg of our journey will be a week in London. I am having a hard time deciding how to divide our time in Germany and Austria. We have never been to this area. I was originally thinking that we would skip Munich and drive down to Garmisch-Partenkirchen for three nights. Then spend four nights on a farm stay in the Salzburg region. Would you recommend Garmisch over Munich, considering we will be spending a week in the big city of London? Or will Garmisch be somewhat boring for the kids? And with Salzburg, most of the farm stays are in the outskirts of Salzburg. We will be renting a car and taking day trips from there. But will we regret being more than 20 minutes outside of Salzburg? While I thought that this would be a fun experience for the kids, I worry that there will not be access to markets, restaurants, etc. There are places in Fuschl am See, Sankt Koloman, and Flachau. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated!
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 07:31 PM
kja

If I understand from your other posts, you are coming from Los Angeles? In that case, your priority should be to find a place for your first few nights that you can reach by public transportation. Although many people are not aware of it, there is mounting evidence that driving with jet lag is just as dangerous -- to yourself and others -- as driving drunk, and nothing you can do will prevent the microsleeps (which you might not even notice) that are the apparent culprit. Seriously -- NOT a good idea, no matter your other constraints and no matter your prior experience! And please be patient with me if you think I’m being overly adamant, but I know too many people who have died or been seriously injured in accidents to which jet lag was a contributing factor, and I know too many people who will spend the rest of their lives dealing with the knowledge that they were responsible for accidents that resulted in multiple deaths, including those of children, all because they were too confident in their ability to drive safely with jet lag. The issue has become a bit of a cause célèbre for me….
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Great point, that quite honestly, I had not considered. Thank you for the sage advice.
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 09:03 PM
kja

it's a fascinating area. With that constraint in mind, I'm sure you'll find some options that work well for you.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 06:23 AM

"Would you recommend Garmisch over Munich, considering we will be spending a week in the big city of London? Or will Garmisch be somewhat boring for the kids? And with Salzburg, most of the farm stays are in the outskirts of Salzburg."

I like the idea of skipping Munich - Or just spend a day or half day there on your way back to the airport. But with just a week's time I don't fully understand why you should substitute Garmisch. It's not that it's boring, it's just a long trip when you're surrounded by alpine stuff around Salzburg. I would instead explore the vast area between Munich and Salzburg and around Salzburg. Visit Berchtesgaden, Prien am Chiemsee (Herrenchiemsee Palace,) Aschau's mountain lift, the Hochlenzer summer bobsled.... you could either move to another location in Germany for a couple of nights for this or possibly day trip from your farmhouse base in Austria for some/most.

From St. Koloman you are a stone's throw from Hallein. Rather than drive into and out of Salzburg, it's possible to drive into Hallein and catch the local train into Salzburg for sightseeing there.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 02:02 PM

Munich is much, much more interesting that Garmisch--the Residence, the art museums, the English Garden,the superb science museum with interactive exhibits, the food market, the many good restaurants...Garmish is a nice small town with not much to see and do. Salzburg, on the other hand, is a fascinating city--but not in August, when it swelters from the heat and humidity.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 05:06 PM
kja

I can't speak to Garmisch, as I haven't visited it yet, but I though Múnich an underrated gem.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 05:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Garmisch is wonderful, so much to see and do. I love that whole area. Oberammergau, Ettal and Garmisch. I think they would enjoy it more than Munich. As an adult I can find a lot to do in Munich but kids would love all the outdoor things in GAP. You can take the train to Garmisch, rent a car there if you need one but getting around is easy with public transportation.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 05:35 PM

Dec 20th, 2017, 02:03 AM
swandav2000

Hi KSOILES,

I live in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, about 50 miles south of Munich at the edge of the Bavarian Alps, and (naturally!) I think this would be a good area for your family. We have great scenery, a very pretty town, and day-trips could include the Neuschwanstein palace (and the very pretty town of Füssen), Linderhof palace, the Partnach gorge, and of course the Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain. There are numerous walks and hikes in the area, from flat(ish) to tough ascents. You can also hike up and then take a cable car down at some places. You could also base in Mittenwald, smaller than Garmisch and arguably prettier and more charming.

Many Germans take a vacation apartment instead of a hotel, and both Garmisch and Mittenwald have many to choose from. You can start hunting around at the town's website

www.gapa.de

Have fun as you plan!
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 06:26 PM

I fear my post may have maligned Garmisch unintentionally - it's a very nice place actually. My point was just that ding BOTH the Salzburg area AND Garmisch isn't necessary, and since you've already made plans for Salzburg...
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 06:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rather than getting into the rather incessant Munich vs anywhere else fight I would say that

if you are worried about driving after a flight (some people actually sleep,on flights) then take the train if Munich is not your final destination to that elsewhere and rent the car there. Connecting to the main rail network from the Munich airport is easily done by suburban rail or cab

I love and have been to all the locations and I am sorry but saying that one is going to be "better" or "more interesting" than another totally depends on what you and your children's interests are IMO. Since you do not say what those are I would not presume to suggest any of them at this point.And BTW, Munich and London are as different as night and day.
Old Jan 31st, 2018, 10:20 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
A good point has been raised about your children's interests.

We have lived in Vienna for five years, arriving when our children were 11 and 16. They are outdoorsy children, and would hands down prefer more time "doing" (hiking, climbing, and so forth) rather than "seeing" (museums, palaces, and other "old stuff") so I plan our holidays with a greater focus on the former. Depending on where the farmstay is located, you may be able to plan a holiday that suits everyone without running here, there, and everywhere.

Another note, for whatever planning help it may hold. I asked our children, now 16 and 21, whether they would prefer a week in Munich or in London. The answer was unanimous: London. Why? The "big city" feel; the shopping at Oxford Circus; the food, especially the Indian cuisine; the fact that the city is alive late at night and on Sunday; the Harry Potter (walking) tour; their trip to Bletchley Park (we're a history family); and the London Eye. In all fairness, both of them have been to Munich on at least a half dozen occasions for school trips and have toured the palaces and museums, but I still I asked them what they liked best about Munich. The 21 year-old answered, "Oktoberfest" (we spent a weekend there to celebrate a milestone birthday for my husband, which coincided with our son turning 16, so take that for what you will); and our 16 year old responded with, "Nothing really stands out. Munich is fine."

Good Luck!
Old Feb 1st, 2018, 07:34 AM

I think they would love taking the cog train to the top of the Zugspitze, that can take the good part of a day exploring, Do hike the gorge, top as well as bottom of the gorge. Wank Mountain, the Olympic stadium there is very interesting. Research more about it. The whole area is so beautiful. I never tire of it.