Reload this Page >

Munich Airport Transportation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 04:44 PM
M. Shaeffer

Has anyone used public transportation to get from Munich Airport into the City? How did you go about it? How difficult was it to handle your luggage? Any other advice would be appreciated. Heading to Munich in about 3 weeks.

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 10:55 PM
Ursula

Paige, are you out there: This one is for you as a Munich resident! ;-) <BR>Greetings

Old Oct 21st, 2001, 11:18 PM
Eli

Not a munich resident - but, well, here's the info: walk with your luggage troley to the direction of the s-bahn. There are frequent trains (S1 & S8) to the Hauptbahnhof. You'll have to load your luggage onto the train though, just like you're supposed to do at Zuerich airport.. ;-)

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 12:48 AM
chris

The transportation in Munich is great and quite simple. There are signs with large green cirle and a white "S" that point you toward the direction of the <BR>S-bahn trains. You will need to buy your ticket at the information booth (well marked) or from one of the automatic machines. (If you can't understand German, you should use the info booth) Either the S-1 or S-8 trains go into the city from the airport. If you are going to be in Munich for several days, you might consider purchasing the appropriate "tageskarte" which will let you use the train, tram or buses for 3 days with a single ticket purchase. Enjoy Munich...you will love it!

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 03:39 AM
Paige

It's really easy. Like the previous poster said, follow the green and white "S" signs the the station in the middle of the airport. You take the escalator down and pile on! It takes about 45 minutes, depending on where you're going. A taxi isn't any faster and costs about 100dm. If you have any specific questions, I live here so maybe I can help.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 04:47 AM
Bob Brown

We landed in Munich on September 4 and returned to the USA on September 20. Both times we used the Lufthansa bus and a taxi to travel to and from our hotel to the airport. We had quite a bit of luggage and I did not feel like carrying it. <BR> <BR>After arrival at the airport, we walked through Terminal D and located the Lufthansa bus stop. We paid the driver on the spot in DM. He radioed ahead for us and a taxi met us at the Nordfriedhof Lufthansa bus stop and took us to our hotel on Nicolaistrasse in Schwabing. (We stayed at the Hotel Astoria; very good place to stay.) <BR> <BR>Returning, we took a cab go the same Lufthansa bus terminal in north Schwabing and rode the bus to the airport. <BR> <BR>It is also easy enough to take the Sbahn from the airport to Marienplatz or other central station and transfer to another train. <BR> <BR>By comparison the Munich Ubahn/Sbahn system is much easier to use than the one in Paris because of the escalators. <BR>A stronger man than I could have carried two suitcases with minimal difficult on the Ubahn system. (When we came in by train from Vienna, my wife and I did use the Ubahn to reach the Giesalastrasse stop and walked to our hotel. A bit of a chore for us but we managed.) <BR> <BR>We bought the Streifenkarte from an automatic vending machine, and cancelled the requisite number before we went through the gates. <BR>The trains during normal hours are quick and frequent. I thought the Munich Ubahn/Sbahn system to be the best I have used in Europe, so far. (Not been to Moscow at all or to Berlin recently.)