moving to spain for a while

Jun 14th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

moving to spain for a while

can any1 please help me. I have just decided to move to spain for the summer maybe longer dont no yet. anyways I dnt have a clue in what i should be doing or what i have to do.
Jun 14th, 2005, 06:29 AM

Maybe if you´re that clueless as what you should do, maybe you should stay at home. Just a suggestion. If you only could be more precice about what you´re reffering to, you could get some answers. is it like you don´t know what paperwork you need to sort? Or is it that you have no idea what to occupy yourself with while in Spain? Is it where to go once in Spain?
Jun 14th, 2005, 06:53 AM

checking with the government is always a good way to start. to figure out how long you are allowed to stay in the country on tourist papers. that would be a first step in your planning.
Jun 14th, 2005, 10:35 AM

schubie writes: "can any1 please help me. I have just decided to move to spain for the summer maybe longer dont no yet. anyways I dnt have a clue in what i should be doing or what i have to do."

Are you an EU Citizen?? If not, your passport entry stamp will serve as a tourist visa and you will probably be 'legal' in Spain for 90-days. Don't plan on working in Spain without the required work permit - it takes a long time to get one of those, especially for a norte americano.

Contact the nearest Spanish Consulate for more info ...

Spain is a large and diverse country. You should have some idea of Spain's Geography and history, if only to help you decide where in that country you would like to 'hang your hat.' If you are near a large City (like NYC) the Spanish Tourist Bureau there (co-located with the Consulate) is another valuable resource for information.

Jun 15th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

okay helsinki good point maybe i should stay. The problem that i have is i am a youngen an hav been studying all my life an now its got to me. need to get away but dnt realy have much money so i thought about working. I am a good barman and hav been studying computers for 3 years so either of them as a job would be cool.
I hav a british passport. The thing i dnt know is which papers i need to work how long i can work and how long i can stay???????
somebody suggested alacante, good choice????
can some1 please help me
Jun 15th, 2005, 06:00 AM

If you have a british passport (you are an EU citizen, then ) you can be in Spain for as long as you want to and work on whatever thing you have the chance , you don't need a work permit. Anyway, there's a high unemployment in Spain so I don't think it's easy to find a work. But you can try, as a barman during the summer months maybe you are lucky. Alicante is great and also you can try on any other place along the Mediterranean coast.
Jun 15th, 2005, 06:17 AM

kenderina: Well, ish.

Spain is after all in the Eurozone, so there's a fair amount of public-sector job creation by way of getting identity cards and national insurance numbers if schubie is going to work legally. A passport alone isn't enough. And my chums tell me the authorities do check papers in the bars, and give owners a really hard time for illegal employment, even of EU citizens (because no National Insurance card inevitably means tax-dodging)

Schubie should go onto the Western Europe thread of the Thorntree site (and PLEASE look at the FAQs before asking any questions there because, with so many British and Australian contributors, he'll get flamed to death if he asks a question already answered in them. None of that Fodorite Milly Molly Mandy politeness there). He should find reasonably up to date information about hiring and about the bureaucracy involved if he doesn't accidentally spark off a food fight.

But he'd better do it pretty fast.
Jun 15th, 2005, 06:30 AM

Of course they check papers in the bars as in any other work. I was thinking he wanted a legal work If it is illegal (without a contract), no matter where you come from..it's still illegal
I meant that he has no need of anything but the passport to join the country and try. Afterwards, he would have to do a lot of papers as any one of us to have a legal job Spanish government loves bureaucracy!! Sure he has to find information first