Mousi's Trip To Rome - here come the Crazies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We went to Rome for three days (Sunday March 13 – Wednesday 16). Please keep in mind there are two adults in 50’s – one of whom is not in the best of health. My husband and myself (6 months pregnant) and my three year old.
We woke early to drive to Catania airport and catch our early Windjet flight to Rome, no problems, cheap and cheerful airline. Arrived at FCO and couldn’t find our wee stroller (emergency travel trip stroller!) turns out you have to get it from another area at baggage claim. Our ‘driver’ was waiting to take us directly to the Hotel Teatropace and pointed out sights along the way – lovely wee man!
We checked in earlier than usual – the rooms were clean, nicely decorated, good sized bathrooms and my in-laws had a balcony overlooking the entrance area so that was cool – the beams on the ceiling were great – 400-odd years old!
Immediately we headed out to search for food and I INSISTED on going to L’Orso 80 (MIL mother in law) would have settled for anything but we were blown away by the selection and amount of antipasto (eggplant, zucchini, artichokes, meatballs, fennel, olives, to name a few) so good so far! Happy full people we wandered around taking in the regular streets, to Piazza Navona (the next street over from our hotel), to the Pantheon at which point my FIL (father-in-law) decided to head back to the room as his health isn’t so great (although he didn’t actually say that just complained and walked away) and we continued on to the Trevi Fountain and all the way down to Vittorio Emmanuel (sp?). After that we turned back the way and walked some more to Giolotti’s for gelato (errr…honest the baby wanted some…wait I don’t need an excuse to eat gelato!). I tried many gelatos and this place blew me away with eth difference in taste from some other places. I tried strawberry, apple, crème caramel, torrone (nougat?) and pear. WOW.
We went back to the hotel to freshen up and even grabbed a’nasty’ slice of what I would say was ‘frozen’ pizza for my son but he didn’t care. Stopped at De Spar supermarket and got lots of nibblies/water/drinks ten didn’t mean to but we all fell asleep (my FIL also doesn’t sleep well but managed to catch some Zzzs). Our rooms were next to eachpother on the ‘first’ floor and our beds were against the same wall…my MIL snores but we must have been tired because it lulled us to sleep The other guests could be heard only mildy. Our first day had made quite an impression and we were just thrilled to be there!
My hubby brought his alarm clock so we were up and at them with breakfast delivered at stated time of orange juice, croissant and cappos. Out the door early heading in the direction of the colosseum. In awe and joy we arrived to be offered the tour (18 euros with entrance fee being 10E and the line was long and we’d skip it) so we decided to do that. My FIL decided it was just a pile of bricks and he wasn’t up to it/in the mood so my hubby and son stayed with him and MIL went with me to see it all which was nice to know what we were looking at and how it used to look with a tour of Palatine hill and Forum thrown in – happy women indeed!
By this point we were hungry and wandered off to a more touristy place (nobody wanted to search for a restaurant and I wasn’t about to push my luck what with FIL being a bit grumpy). Grabbed and okay lunch at which point FIL immediately insisted that it was a crappy place and the food would be too…he didn’t order anything and complained all the way through. I bit my tongue and enjoyed my pasta.
We then went back to the room again to freshen up/nap before dinner. We went to La Foccassa a street or two over and enjoyed a meal of pizzas which were pretty good! FIL was tasting ‘funny’ things (fanta was weird so I gave him my sprite but that was really lemon/limey and was it different in the states…) His pizza was funny too…sheesh. But we were pulling MIL’s leg and ended up having a good laugh. Son fell asleep most of dinner so we went back to the room. All this walking was catching up on us!
This was night number one of the crazies. Between 1:30am and 3:30 am about two doors over on the ground level from our window there was what we suspect a ‘club’ and the music was ‘bumping’ I could actually recognize and, had I been in the mood, sing along to Beonce etc. The Italians were outside yapping but those three English girls just couldn’t make up their drunk minds about when was time for bed and I almost made a suggestion. Never noticed anything about this place on reviews! We were all awake off and on but finally dozed again until early wake up to get to the Vatican.
Headed out with more grumblings about old buildings just being that and the fascinating things were the cars..every bloody cars just about. Whatever floats the boat.
We toured with USO Rome a street over from the Vatican – they were FAB and there was a store across the street selling ‘touristy’ goods for dirt cheap even ‘Rome’ book stated at E7.50 were sold for E3 and here were the cheapest rosaries we had seen, so because of family requests we had a good amount of different kinds. At USO we checked our email for free, grabbed a free coffee and cookies while waiting for the tour to begin and our tour guide (an Italian who was born in Italy, brought up in USA and returned to Italy later after her husband passed away) was brilliant, cheerful, friendly, informative and very concerned with FIL and myself. What can I say, I am glad I waited to see this! Even FIL finally admitted that it was actually worth your while to go inside places. FIL, hubby and son stayed for a seat again while we went to see St. Peter’s Basillica. It was ALL wonderful, I was almost too blown away I couldn’t take it all in!
We headed out to a recommended restaurant that was closed (but initially should have been open due to recommendation and times posted) but wasn’t. So we had to settle for another place but we were famished. FIL wanted to walk another ˝ hour 45 mins to L’Orso 80 but I was knackered and we were all grumpy/tired/hungry. We sat down to an edible meal (although FIL had to take the clams out of the shells in the spaghetti and that was the end of our happy meal). Sniping, snickering and short words were shared between everyone before e headed out again to the Castel Angelo heading back to the room again.
We all had gelato and cappos’ for dinner as we were stuffed. I brought a hot chocolate and a hot crepe back to the room and we all crashed. Once again the party people were up between 1:30 – 3:30 but I couldn’t sing along to the music as easy and those English girls had returned. Son and FIl heard them the most. MIL was snoring enough to hear so she was getting the most sleep apparently!
Our last morning was slower but after heading out after officially checking out we stored our luggage at reception until our ride arrived at 2pm so we did a final wandering and light shopping excursion. It was just nice to roam around Campo Di Fiori and the market, up and down little back streets. I really wanted to try a restaurant but it didn’t open for 30 minutes so we went around in circles until I said we may as well eat there. It was Da Fortunato, off the Pantheon and filled up with politicians pretty quickly after we, the UNDERDRESSED, arrived. The food was good and the staff friendly enough. There were many pictures of famous US politicians on the wall too with the owners. Very nice place. My FIL began complaining loudly about one picture and if it were his restaurant he wouldn’t have this president on the wall so I asked him lets not discuss religion, money or politics in case we argue. Then he went if the huff and said he couldn’t see anything he liked on the menu. I admit I was wrong and snapped “there’s a surprise”. (MIL and FIL both enjoyed a vegetable soup) Well the rest of the meal you could have cut the air with a knife and as we strolled back to our hotel I could hear him yapping to MIL bad mouthing me all the way. We packed up and left with our ride in uneasiness. When we got to the airport he told us this would probably be the last time we saw him and he would leave right there if he had his stuff with him. Travelling just isn’t for him and he would likely die before then (unless there’s a freak accident that is not true). I ended up in tears trying to humor him and make the peace to no avail. By the time we got back to the house he had changed his mind but the whole trip was constantly getting dragged down by his negative and sometimes derogatory comments. By now we have suggested that if it is too much for him he can relax at home or just SAY that he is feeling unwell and we will understand. I LOVED Rome, the whole place was quite magical for all of us (well almost all!) but I will never take a trip with FIL again – my three year old was WAY easy in comparison! Many thanks for all your advice on this site, it did help and made those special moments we did have even better…I hope to get back there one day but alas I am due in June and it may be a while!
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 10:25 PM

Thanks mouseireid. I wish you could have had a better trip - but I'm glad you enjoyed what you did.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad you had a good trip and liked Rome. You sound amazingly tolerant. I wouldn't be surprised if your in-laws remember the trip differently than you do and it ends up being a pleasant memory for them. You did a good thing traveling with them. Doesn't mean you ever have to do it again though.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 03:28 AM
awbaker

Since we are traveling to Rome with a 4 and 2 year old this summer, I kept waiting to hear about your 3 year old's reaction to everything. I am so impressed that he (she?) went on the tour with you AND did fine in the restaurants! You must have been so relieved! BUT then you had to deal with your FIL's tantrums... that sounds miserable! I don't blame you for saying something to him at the restaurant. Some people just shouldn't travel.

I'm happy for you that you still managed to enjoy Rome, though! Thanks for the report.

Also, can you give me the location of Giolloti's?

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 03:40 AM

I admit I was brought up short by your initial paragraph. Thought you were in your fifties -- yet pregnant and lugging a 3 year old.

So I got a laugh even if you, alas, did not.

That "last time you will ever see me" line was unforgivable.

You must be a saint. I might well have said "It's a deal".
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 04:56 AM
ira

Hi mous,

Thanks for sharing.

Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Giolotti's (SP?) is up from the Pantheon on Via Uffici Del Vicario and once again I cannot recommend it enough, just purchase/order the size you want first, get your ticket then go to the gelato counter and order. A piccolo 'small' cone/dish can be filled with two or three different flavors! YUM!