Reload this Page >

Mountfitchet or Windsor Castle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:51 AM
SUZI

I am trying to fit in an older castle to our itinerary for our April trip. <BR><BR>Does anyone have any advise on either of these castle? How hard are they to reach via train or Tube from Central London (staying off High Holborn)? Would you suggest trying to do either of these or just stick with sites in London proper for a 6-day stay? Thanks in advance for any help. -Suzi

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:59 AM
xxx3

Each is about 40 minutes from London by train. Certainly, there's more to see at Windsor. But if I had only a week, I wouldn't spend a whole day on either of them.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:35 AM
andrew

Suzi - I agree with xxx3 in saying that for a 6 day stay you'd probably be better off keeping to London. After all you can still see the 11th century White Tower in the Tower of London which almost feels like a castle. If you must go to either Windsor or Stansted Mountfitchet choose Windsor.<BR><BR>You can get there by going by tube to Paddington - from High Holborn take the Central (scarlet) line to Notting Hill Gate and then take the Circle (yellow) line to Paddington. Once at Paddington you need to take the train to Slough cross the platform and catch the train to Windsor station which has a lovely Victorian style shopping mall<BR><BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 04:58 AM
carol

we were in london for 5-6 days and did fit windsor into our schedule and were happy we did. windsor castle is fabulous; don't miss it!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:42 AM
r

Definitely Windsor. A lovely town and easy to get to by train or bus.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:07 AM
R

Another thought, you could just visit the Tower of London if time is short as this is very old and basically a castle. It has a web site, but I don't know the address. You can get to Windsor by train from london Waterloo, or coach from Victoria coach station. Your London hotel will be able to advise on tours.