Motorhome travel in Germany

Dec 14th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Motorhome travel in Germany

Hi Everyone, I have just confirmed rental of a motorhome in Germany (Munich/Stuttgart/Kaiserslauten mostly) over the World Cup period.
Could anyone give me any advise on overnight park spots, campgrounds or generally how easy/hard it is to travel around with this method???

Cheers!
Dec 14th, 2005, 05:13 PM

"Could anyone give me any advise on overnight park spots, campgrounds or generally how easy/hard it is to travel around with this method???"

Well, I thought you might have gone into this first, before renting the motorhome.Still,I guess you will figure it out as you go along - but booking sites near the World Cup cities should be a matter of urgency. You might also be advised to carry a small motor scooter attached to the back of the van for use in getting from the van site to the game venue with the least drama.

Harzer
Dec 15th, 2005, 03:58 PM

I hate to sound pessimistic, but finding camping places near the WC sites will be very hard, I suspect. You will compete with lots of camping trailers from nearby countries(the Dutch and Danes really go for trailers!) Plus, I also suspect that the highways approaching the sites will be an absolute mess. The WC traffic will be on top of vacation starts, which generally tend to cause massive "Staus" (traffic jams) on the autobahn as it is.

I suggest you draw about a 50km circle around the WC site(s) you want to visit. Then pick a location on the periphery of that circle that has train connection to the WC site and take the train (www.bahn.de for schedules). The 50km should be about 1 hr. on the train. Then check on the internet the website for the location you picked and hit the camping link.
Dec 15th, 2005, 05:05 PM

The vision of driving a Motor home through Germany brings back some old memories. Our family moved to Munich in 1957 and we brought our brand new 1957 Plymouth with tail fins that required their own parking place. My folks did the driving back in those days but I remember some interesting encounters in those little roads through the little villages.

Maybe you are planning to stick to the autobahns or follow the tour busses. Best of luck.
Dec 15th, 2005, 05:47 PM

In Europe, roads and parking lots are much narrower than in America. With a motorhome, access is often difficult. Most arenas' parking lots will not permit access to motorhomes. If you rent one, take a small one. I still think, it is a better idea to stay at hotels which are somewhat away from the arena. You can rent a normal passenger car and drive to the arenas. If you take your time, you will manage it.
Dec 16th, 2005, 12:50 AM

hi there,
I wont be that pessimistic. Sure traffic in Germany is a little bit different to the US (did You come from the US?). But it still works. About the traffic jams - well, the football stadiums will be full during the matches. But they are full most every saturday. So, it is not unusuall to those places.
Try to look at the official sites
www.stuttgart.de
www.muenchen.de
www.kaiserslautern.de
You will find english pages where all camping suites are listet. If they are full booked, dont worry. Look or ask for the next public indoor swimminghall. They have parking space and mostly noone dares if You stay for one night. And You have best facilities in the morning to take a shower (but ok, You wont get electricity).
What else? In Stuttgart there is a campground right near the stadium, You can walk to the matches. If not, the public transportation in Germany are excellent, even on days while matches run.

For campgrounds You can use the site of the German Automobil Club
www.adac.de

For other places to stay for one night: http://www.reisemobil-international.de/bordatlas2

have fun and ask if You need more informations, especially about Stuttgart

Gar

Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:49 AM

Gar, what's the address and phone number of the Stuttgart campsite that's near the stadium? Thanks. And if you happen to know of any good ones in Frankfurt, Cologne, Nuremberg and Gelsenkirchen that would be really great, many thanks!

Search this Thread