Reload this Page >

most used travel guide

Search

most used travel guide

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:23 AM
sue

most used travel guide

I am a travel guide junkie...just wondering what most people use, in case there is one I don't have.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:27 AM
aaa

I like the Eyewitness Travel Guides to get a layout of buildings and streets and such. Time Out for the local scene and shopping, etc. And the Touring Club Italia books as well although they are not readily available in the USA; I only have them in Italian but most can be purchased in English as well in Italy at the larger bookstores.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:28 AM
selena

Rick Steves is the best ones for me. They are smaller and they have reasonable info that an average person can use.<BR>I also like Time Out, Let's Go, Globetrotters, Lonely Planet, and Fodor's...

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:33 AM
Carroll

First choice is Eyewitness Travel Guides; second choice is Fodor's.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 11:48 AM
CharlieB

Sue- for a general overview I prefer Dorling and Kindersly Guides. Unfortunately no guides to Germany or Austria except for their guide to Berlin. Actually I prefer more specific guides. The best I have ever found I stumbled on while preparing for a month touring the Mosel and Rhine Valleys it is called &quot;Touring in Wine Country&quot; edited by Hugh Johnson, probably the #1 wine guru. Though it talks about vineyards and wine it also lists sights, restaurants and lodging - all right on the button. I obviously got the edition on &quot;Mosel &amp; Rheingau&quot;, but others in the series include Alsace, Bavaria, Bordeaux, Burgundy, Loire, Noethern Italy, and Tuscany. Even if you're not into wine this is still the best regional guide I have run across.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 12:49 PM
Jinx

EYEWITNESS...I've used Paris, London, &amp; New York and find them to be unbeatable guides, + they're just plain good reading before and after the trip.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 03:10 PM
mmm

My favorite guides are Michelin red and green guides.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:42 PM
al

Really depends where you are going. Frommers has proven to be very accurate (especially for Turkey and Greece) and I used Rick Steves for Italy last summer. Best to check out the libraries or bookstores before buying.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 07:11 AM
JC

For sights,I like Green Guide, for budget accommadations and public transports,Rough Guide and LP are good.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 07:44 AM
Julie

I usually start with Fodors and Frommers, then move on to Eyewitness (I think they are owned by the same people as Doring Kindersly) but I also like two other guides that haven't been listed--Access (these are city or region guides and so can't be applied in some situations) and Cadogan. The latter is a British Guidebook company that does whole countries and also regions. They have in depth history info with an attitude. Good to take along and read the night before you go somewhere so you can have the inside scoop on what you're going to see but too heavy to carry with. I also like the Touring in Wine Country series and another wine-related series I can't remember the name of offhand. I also save articles from food, wine and travel magazines in files by country/region and trot out the old articles as needed. If Wine Spectator has ever dealt with the area you intend to travel to you'll get your best info on accommodations, restaurants and wineries from them.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 05:27 PM
Amy

I find Eyewitness too bulky to carry and heavy on the pictures while light on the useful info (also usually not updated at all often). Cadogan is my guide of choice now, particularly for the writing style and both historical and practical info. I will use them exclusively on my next trip to Italy.

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 05:43 PM
cmt

I use several different kinds, but I tend to prefer green Michelin and Cadogan.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 07:51 AM
elaine

If you already know about the big ones, there are many special interest books, like &quot;Little Known Museums in London&quot; (or Paris), guides for Jewish travelers, Christian travelers, gay and lesbian travelers, disabled travelers, travelers with children, etc. Also walking guide books like &quot;Paris Walks&quot;, &quot;In the Footsteps of the Impressionists&quot;, etc. I may have the titles a bit wrong, but a search on Amazon should get you to them.<BR><BR>If you are interested in daytrips from major cities, guides like Steinbickers's<BR>&quot;Daytrips London&quot; are very helpful.<BR><BR>Gustafson's &quot;Great Eats in...&quot; and &quot;Great Sleeps in...&quot; are very reliable for hotels and restaurants in major cities.<BR>\

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 12:23 PM
Fran

We just got back from Ireland- my brother had the Lonely Planet guide and we had Fodors. I will def buy Lonely Planet from now on!!

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 01:23 PM
greg

In Your Pocket guides first. Only available in certain countries, check out their site, www.inyourpocket.com<BR>Eyewitness guides second, nothing is nicer than having big color pictures or color maps to help you visualize things.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 04:24 PM
BillJ

Fodor's and Michelin Green guides get me started once I've selected an area of interest. I particularly like Michelin's history and cultural background sections. They also make the trip with me, along with the Eyewitness guides for some specific cities. Rick Steves and Lonely Planet are frankly not my style, and Frommers left out some important religious landmarks on a recent visit to Geneva. I will leave Frommers off my list from now on. I think it all depends on style selection and compatibility.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 04:56 PM
Bobbi

Another vote for DK Eyewitness. It's a great help especially with museum layouts. I also found a great book &quot;Great Eats in London&quot;.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 12:31 PM
leslie

I like Insight Guides for reading before my trips -- they have great info on the history, culture, land, people, customs, etc. And great photos (larger than the ones in DK Eyewitness Guides) which help me decide what I want to see. To take with me, I like Rick Steves for practical info and Cadogan for irreverant insider stories (as another post said, they are great for reading the night before -- and on the plane.) I also borrow books from friends and from the library and bring them to work to photocopy relevant pages -- reduced and double sided, so they will fit easily into my bag or my pockets. And I save certain threads from this site, such as recommended restaurants, detailed directions to get somewhere I know I want to go, etc.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 01:43 PM
mary jane

As a writer for the DK Eyewitness guide to Rome, I only wish I had l euro for each guide sold...glad people appreciate the insider knowledge we writers give. check my website www.elegantetruria.com to see what Christmas is like here, beyond rome, before tuscany. Click on the Madonna's photo (my daughter) to see more photos. <BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 01:47 PM
xxx

<BR><BR>For Europe I never leaves<BR>Without a book by Rick Steves

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -