Most unforgetable meals

Search

Most unforgetable meals

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most unforgetable meals

Throughout my life I have traveled and dined or just eaten some very good food. some of those meals I will never forget and wouldn't have thought they would have made such an impression on me. Some examples are;
A tomato salad at Chez Panisse in Berkeley about 20 years ago. Buckets of clams at a roadside stand north of Marblehead, Ma, a pork chop at the Blue Moon Cafe?? on the River Walk in New Orleans, Fan Tailed shrimp and Linguini at Scomas in SF,CA, Hobenero salsa on a back street seafood stand in Cancun, Mexico, hot chocolat in Grindalvald, Swiss. What are some of your most immpressionable food memories during your life of travel? thereyet
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:48 AM

The French Laundry, Yountville, California; Angle De Faubourg, Paris.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:56 AM

McDonalds in Port Charlotte - the stomach cramps and diarrhea make the meal unforgettable as much as I would like to
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

The French Laundry would be a dream to visit. I have heard about there 15 course menu but have not got the nerve to go. Something about the cost scares me away. theeyet
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

robjame, I only find myself at mcD's on bad days so no surprise there. thereyet
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:13 AM

For good experiences:
Dinner at Jules Verne on the Eiffel Tower on our first full day in Paris - not so much for the food but for the situation. Amazing.

For food - L'atelier de Jean-Luc Rabanel, in the center of Arles. This tapas type serving od multi courses was sublime in every way.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:15 AM
ExpertTripPlanner

Here's a short list from a very long one: Chez Panisse (over French Laundry); a large bowl of moules mariniere & frites with local cider, outside on a bluff in Brittany; soft mushroom pate from a vendor in the market of Florence (alla boscaiola); a clam roll on Bradford Street in Provincetown, MA; arugula salad with parmesan and corn at Tra Vigne in St. Helena, CA; oysters at Duarte's in Pescadero, CA.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:18 AM
ExpertTripPlanner

OH! I almost forgot... the cheese course at La Bastide de Moustiers in Moustiers-St.-Marie, France!

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

ExpertTripPlanner, Tra Vigne, I had this huge seafood ravioli once that will not be forgotten. thereyet
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:30 AM
ExpertTripPlanner

Yeah - Tra Vigne was great when it first opened, in the late '80s. I'm afraid it's now a bit of a "scene," with the store and the olive oil and everything...

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:33 AM

My most unforgetable meals were in Paris. No, not the quality of the food, but the surroundings and the events.

First, an Italian restaurant at the corner of Boulevard Raspail and Boulevard Montparnasse.

We were eating when one of the regular customers came in for his evening snack.
He walked to the end of the bar, took a seat on the floor, and waited patiently until the man in charge dropped some meat in his mouth. No barking, no whining.

After dining, at least two gulps, he left as quietly as he came.

Second, a small restaurant on a side street near the same intersection. The food was ordinary, but payment was not.
When we were ready to leave, I handed the waiter my credit card.

He returned a few minutes later in a highly agitated state, making noises like an overheated tea kettle. He was waving his arms and saying "No good."

I began fumbling for my back-up credit card when my wife decided to go to the ATM down the street for euro notes.

The waiter did not understand anything she said and, when she took a step, he really did become agitated.

By this time I was digging through my passport case in search of the elusive second credit card. Fortunately, I had a few traveler's checks in the top compartment which I laid on the table.

This action calmed him down long enough for me to locate the second card.

In a few minutes, the waiter returned all smiles. Tempest over. We could leave without the danger of an explosion.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Bob, Now if you were a dog in the second restraunt the waiters expectation that you would be better prepared would not have been that great. Seriously though, have these people been ripped off so many times that a scene must be made when an incident such as you describe occurs? This is not the first time I have heard stories like that. thereyet
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:55 AM
schuba

Restaurant at CN Tower in Toronto. Best sirloin steak I had.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 10:21 AM

The French Laundry, mainly because it was mostly pretentious B.S. I've ever encountered. Every course would start off with "This is Thomas' interpretation of". Don't forget to eat before you go, or you will certainly leave hungry. It's totally off any list of recommendations I'd give.

A good meal at Terra in St. Helena is always unforgetable. Hiro Sone and his wife are amazing. They recently opened a new restaurant in the City, called Ame, which I can't wait to go to.

When Philippe Jeanty was chef at Domaine Chandon, it was wonderful. Nothing like a 4 hour lunch of heaven. His Bistro in Yountville is also excellent.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Best meals and atmosphere and all around great:

Le Louis XV: Monaco
Le Manoir Aux Quai Saisons: Great Milton, England
Jules Verne: Paris
Le Violin: Paris
Guy Savoy: Paris
Selene: Santorini
Charlie Trotters: Chicago
Maestro: Tysons Corner, VA ( where I live!)
Gordon Ramseys: Claridges, London
Linquin roast duck; Beijing: Not for its atmoshpere necessarily, but the whole experience was surreal: see my report on the Asia board
Green Tea House: Beijing: One of the hippest ( till it hurts) restaurants I've ever been too and the food is great too
Not a meal, but one of the coolest experiences for a drinkn top of the Sky Bar in the State Tower in Bangkok: like being in a movie

I can on and on, but these are but a few of the many many many food experiences that we will remember until we ... well you know....
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Tripgirl, if you have a chance would you mind posting the link for your report on LiQuin in Beijing? I tried to find it, but...
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:56 AM

Here are a few European places that come to my mind at the moment; they are just a handful of what have been so many outstanding meals....

Cal Pep in Barcelona
Lunch on the terrace at El Yantar in Pedraza de la Sierra (Spain)
Lunch at "Tinin" in Sepulveda, (Spain)
Da Cesari in Bologna
Chez Denise in Paris
Osteria alla Botte in Venice
Spaghetti with sea urchin at Don Camillo in Siracusa
Jamon Iberico at the bar at Paco Gongora, Seville

And many, many meals in Rome including a recent lunch at Armando al Pantheon

Interestingly, with the possible exception of Don Camillo, none of these is an elegant or very expensive restaurant.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:58 AM

1. blue crab feast in annapolis, MD
2. Swordfish in lagos
3. wild boar in florence
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 12:15 PM

ek,

Here is the link:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads..._name=tripgirl
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Trip girl the link did not work...sorry to be a pain, I am bound that way soon and would love to read your thoughts...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -