Most touristy place you've been to?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question : What is/are the most touristy places you have been to. Most cities have some tourist areas and therefore one would expect tourist paraphenalia (spelling?) to be seen in those areas; but which are the MOST overall touristy cities/ places you've been to? Did you like them anyway? Why or why not?

Also, been anywhere you loved/liked and then went back a few years later and it had turned into tourist central?
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 06:35 PM

Cairo, and the Great Pyramids...what a drag...could hardly walk for the people, and in the museum, trying to see the 'treasures' of the tombs, couldn't even get near the glass case.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:43 PM

Angkor Wat in Cambodia-It was horrible-never again.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:54 PM

Hi

Rome comes high on my list. When we went there in the summer of 2005 it was pretty crowded. The Trevi fountain area was always crowded (day and night) and we could hardly see the Spanish steps due to all the people that were sitting around. But it was still a wonderful city Here is a trip report with pictures and links: http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:59 PM

LOVED angkor wat!!!!!! can't say enuf great things about it. was not crowded when i went and met many locals including a family who ran a restaurant on the site - the daughter of the restaurant took us to her school where we met the teacher and her class mates.

sorry i disagree but was my own experience.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:01 PM

I know this is the Europe forum but, WDW and the I-Drive section of Orlando is just about the maximum "cheese" for touristy.

Not certain what was overly touristy in Europe or Asia. If I had to pick a place, it would be Venice.

That's not to say "I didn't like or enjoy Venice", just seems that it has nothing to offer except tourism.

MvK
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:02 PM

Oh yeah, Myrtle Beach and Daytona Beach rank right up there with WDW.

Again, I offer USA choices, but it's all I have. Sorry.

MvK
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:51 PM

Niagara Falls and Wisconson Dells. thereyet
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 12:02 AM

If it is a European destination that you're looking for, I would have to say Volendam in Holland. Very little entertainment, multiple tourist shops selling nothing but trash.

American city - Orlando, Florida.

African city - Rabat, Morocco
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 12:35 AM

Neuschwanstein. I was totally underwhelmed. I had a good experience there (stayed at Hotel Mueller and got to see the castles at night with a dusting of snow) but the whole place felt like a Disneyland set. I am a huge fan of castles, but I like my castles ancient and authentic. I'd take Burg Hohenzollern or Burg Eltz over Neuschwanstein any day.

On the other hand, Carcassonne is extremely touristy but I absolutely love the place because it has a fascinating history and has been remarkably well-preserved.

This is the Europe board so I won't get started on tacky touristy places in America!

Gard, I agree with you completely about the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. Fortunately I've now seen them twice and can happily explore the rest of Rome without ever seeing them again! (Well, I might have to take my mom to throw that coin in the Trevi Fountain...)
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 01:10 AM

Can anyone define, 'touristy'? Is 'Big Ben' touristy? What about,Oświęcim? And, what is the perceived problem about something or somewhere being 'touristy'.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 01:54 AM

"Carcassonne is extremely touristy but I absolutely love the place because it has a fascinating history and has been remarkably well-preserved."

I liked Carcassonne too, but it's not so much well-preserved as heavily restored by Viollet-le-Duc, the French architect (beginning in 1853). It was a ruin before then. Some at least of the restoration was totally wrong -- the pointy cone roofs in particular.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 02:19 AM

I would define "tourist-y" as a place that has reached such a saturation of unattractive cheapness aimed at tourists that it overwhelms and defeats the pleasure of touring that location.

That said, there are far too many shops in Assisi selling cheesy horrible stuff, but I still love, love, love the city because it IS still possible to ignore it and enjoy the beauty it has to offer. The day they put one within my favorite view over the countryside from the wall above the staircase by the Upper basilica, it will descend to "touristy". Heaven forbid!

St. Simons Island (Georgia, USA) has changed so much in the past 30 years I can't go anymore...it makes me cry to see ugly condos without a hint of style or taste on miles of beaches formerly graced only by seagrass-covered dunes. You used to be able to watch the sun rise and feel like it was the beginning of the world. Now the famous Marshes of Glynn look like any subdivision. >sigh<
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 02:55 AM

UK: Brighton, but it is UK tourists so it is utterly fascinating for Americans to observe, particularly on a Bank Holiday weekend. Nothing like it in the US.

France: Rocamadour. Dreadful, dreadful, dreadful. But you can ignore it, as Cupid1 can ignore the tatty in Assisi.

Spain: La Rambla in Barcelona. Skip this. The rest of the city is one of the best in the world.

US: Fisherman's Wharf in SF and Times Sq in NYC. It is hard to know if the new Times Square or the old Times Square is worse. Myrtle Beach and Bourbon Street in NO are pretty grim, too.

And yet all these places have wonderful attractions only a few minutes away!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 03:02 AM

Right question, what is "touristy"?

- I found Sarlat-la-Caneda extremely touristy. 95% of the people on the streets were tourists, lots of souvenir shops and restaurants. Historical buildings all restored for good postcard-like pictures. But I liked it, and I liked it, because it offered a good infrastructure for the tourist without spoiling it. Touristy, yes, but in a good way.

- As a contrast, Quedlinburg in Germany at the North Rim of the Hartz. Also a jewel of historical architecture, but kind of deserted. I stayed in a beautiful historical inn and made the nightwatchman's tour, but we were the only people on the streets. Hardly any bar or restaurant to go in. Maybe a little too less touristy.

- Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Also VERY touristy, in a mixed way. Good infrastructure, many museums, many things to do. But restaurants and hotels mediocre. Feuchtwangen has an excellent hotel and restaurant and is also a nice historical town, but has much less to offer. The historical district is smaller and just one small museum. Where shall I go? Probably to Rothenburg, because it has more to offer (or you stay in Feuchtwangen overnight and visit Rothenburg during the day).

- Barcelona is loved by the Americans on this forum. But the Ramblas, the former main street, has been converted into one big tourist trap. In the streetside buildings nothing but McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, Subway and souvenir and T-Shirt shops. Obviously, the tourists like them. Long lines of English-speaking tourists in front of each Gaudi building. (Why do the Americans love Gaudi who is despised in Europe as a master of kitsch? Maybe because it's so Disney-like?) - But you also find other areas in Barcelona: the trendy Born neighborhood with hip restaurants and bars, the stunning naval museum (somehow bypassed by most tourists) or the city's most important museum of modern art, the Miro Museum (also neglected by American tourists who seem to prefer Picasso, maybe because he is more digestible).

- Or take Sevilla and Cordoba. Cordoba's cathedral is much more magnificent than Sevilla's cathedral, and Cordoba's jewish quarter more authentical than Sevilla's, but somehow most posters on this forum seem to prefer Sevilla - probably because it is more touristy (that is, you can easily find a T-shirt shop and a restaurant that serves the same kind of food and drinks that you consume at home, just with a little exotic touch).

Most tourists want touristy areas. This forum is full of tourists who complain about things that are different from home. A couple of days ago a poster complained heavily about a restaurant that served him fondue - after he had ordered fondue. But since he didn't know what fondue is he expected something different and got frustrated and angry. He also ordered a cocktail in a restaurant that usually does not serve cocktails (but wine and beer) and complained about the price. The whole thread made me laugh. I imagined a German ordering Rocky Mountain Oysters in the USA and afterwards complaining that he did not get seafood.

There are people complaining that Spanish restaurants do not open before 9 p.m. Of course, they prefer touristy eateries which serve dinner already by 7 p.m.

Is "touristy" always bad?

Sarlat-la-Caneda and Carcassonne are touristy in a good way. They are tastefully restored, have atmosphere, style and quality. Other places have been corrupted by tourism. Avoid the latter and look for the first - this forum helps you to select.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 03:41 AM

Las Vegas. NEVER again! EVER.

I also had the impression that Rome was quite touristy but I am certainly willing to put up with it.

I agree with the Assisi statement. I went there on my first European vacation and liked it but not loved it. Way too many people and plastic St Francis.

Now that I am a bit more travel savvy, I have learned to spend the night in destinations like that. Once the day trippers are gone the magic returns. Santillana del Mar and Ronda in Spain are clear examples.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 03:46 AM

Rothenburg by far.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 03:48 AM

Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. You have to see it to believe it. We're talking "Merle Haggard Tractor Pull and Gospel Jamboree Museum."

Well, not really. But you get the idea.

As far as Europe is concerned, I found much of York to be quite touristy. Felt like I was in Fantasyland at Disneyworld on some streets. "Ye Olde Such and Such..."
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 03:52 AM

Not counting Leicester Square because I live here...

The answer has to be Lourdes - miles of stalls selling the most astonishing religious tat - glow in the Dark Marys, bottles of "Holy Water" Jesus clocks etc etc. Quite the most awful place. It made me ashamed to be a Catholic - my co-religionists have the most awful taste.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 04:03 AM

Pisa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -