most scenic route cotswolds to york

Old Jun 12th, 2017, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
most scenic route cotswolds to york

We're planning on travelling from the Cotwolds to York via the most scenic route. No time limit.
Overall, Cotwolds will be the start of a six week trip up to York, then on to Scotland along the east coast, (generally) across the top and down the western side, including Skye, thru the Lake District and round to north Wales, across to Dublin and back, then down thru the rest of Wales and the south coast of England. That's the general idea anyway. Driving a fully self contained campervan. Any hints or advice most welcome. Our first visit to the UK, we're from Australia.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 02:39 AM

"from the Cotwolds to York via the most scenic route. "

There isn't one. The overwhelming bulk of this journey is through spectacularly dull landscapes, and the trick is to get through them as fast as possible - preferably by motorway.

There are four sets of diversions in more or less central England you might want to plan into your anti-clockwise journey.

- the Derbyshire Dales, Cotswolds to M42 Northbound, then M6 Toll to Lichfield turnoff, headinf to area between Buxton and Baslow
- Back north up M1, past Leeds to area between Harrogate abnd the Nidderdale AONB
- Possibly on southbound legs, the Yorkshire dales National Park just west of the Nidderdale AONB
- Not scenic, but essential culturally and historically. The area between Liverpool and Manchester, where essentially the modern world was invented, and a clutch of the Civil War related sights south of there.

None of these are pretty alternatives to the direst route to York: they're hugely time-consuming diversions. But all worth doing
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 03:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi diamentia,

sounds like a wonderful trip; I bet the time will fly by.

I venture to disagree with Flanner - if as I infer you re prepared to stray off the beaten path, you can have a very rewarding meander between the Cotswolds and York.

you don't say where in the Cotswolds you are planning to start from, so taking more or less the most southernly point, i.e. Tetbury, I would suggest popping over the border into Wales and heading for Monmouth, and then working your way north through the Marches, [after a possible detour to the Brecon Beacons - though you could do that on the way back] to Hereford, Ludlow, Shrewsbury, then heading north east to the Derbyshire Peak District [including Matlock, Buxton and Chatsworth House] from where it is a short hop to York.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 05:14 AM

I agree with annhig. You can have a very nice potter up the Marches then head across either through the Peaks or across the Penines north of Manchester.

You will not be able to wild camp in England but will have to use campsites, which can get expensive. Look into joining one of the UK caravan clubs to give you access to their certified locations as well as a lower price at their sites. Don't choose the overseas visitor option - that doesn't include the CLs.
Also look at Britstops and consider joining that to give you alternative, cheaper places to stay.
www.campercontact.com has a few places, but not so many in the UK.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 06:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree w/ everyone -- which doesn't help a lot There are few really scenic bits - but a few are VERY scenic.

But what jumped out at me was six weeks - in a campervan - for the Cotswolds, Yorkshire, far northern Scotland, Skye, the Lake District, Wales, Ireland, and the South Coast.

That is a VERY tall order! The British Isles are not Australia where one can drive 200+ miles for a nice lunch. Except on the decidedly un lovely motorways, you will average about 35 mph - and in some of the places you plan on visiting - even less.

And are you sure a camper van is what you want? A car and staying in B&Bs would actually give you more flexibility.

Also WHEN is the trip? Makes a big difference.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 06:41 AM

I with janisj on this one. Some nice spots but certainly not an abundance of scenic areas, although annhig's route might be pretty good.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 06:54 AM

We have a campervan. Last year we went from Dover via Cambridgeshire, the Peaks and Pennines up to the Lakes, then back down through Wales to Dorset, Buckinghamshire, Kent and home. We spent a few days in the Lakes visiting family, ditto Buckinghamshire and Kent, plus a few two night stops in other places, and did that in under three weeks. We saw all we wanted to see, which did not include any cities it's true, and had a very enjoyable time, despite the weather.
Travelling by camper is very different to travelling by car/B&B. You will easily travel at faster than 35mph, even avoiding motorways, as we do. The only motorways we used last year were the M2 and M25 to get from Kent to above London.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 07:01 AM

>>You will easily travel at faster than 35mph, even avoiding motorways, as we do.<<

Not in rural Yorkshire or on Skye or in northern Scotland they won't. From their list and being in a campervan -- I'd very seriously consider dropping any thoughts of hitting Ireland. Assuming they mean more than just Dublin, that would eat up 10 days to 2 weeks of their limited time.

Basically 2 weeks (rushed but doable) for Scotland and 4 weeks for England and Wales would be much better.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 07:39 AM

I agree they should probably drop Ireland but we have a campervan and we have travelled to places they want to go in it, including much of rural Yorkshire, Lancashire and the Wales. We take the most minor roads we can. We only take motorways and A roads when we have to to get through the boring bits. It is possible to go faster if you have to, just as it is in a car, but surely the whole point is the journey when travelling in a camper?

We did 3312km door to door in 22days, which included getting from the Netherlands to the UK, and, as I said, staying in one place for a few nights several times during the trip.

One more tip - not all campsites, and certainly not many of the Britstops have a drive over dump for grey water. When you find one use it, to keep the weight down apart from anything else. Do not dump grey water in a verge or parking bay or drive with the outlet open.
Nearly all campsites have a place for chemical toilets.
Old Jun 12th, 2017, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all for your interesting replies.
Yes, it may be a tall order, but we will be flexible. The main points we would like to see after leaving London are First, York, Yorkshire dales, then Edinburgh, then around Scotland, mainly looking at scenery,ie Lochs & national parks, then after Skye, (which we may drop), down through the lake district and Lancashire, (+Preston, where I lived until I was 7 years old, when we migrated to Oz in 1953) Never been back since. Then round into north Wales and across to Ireland, which we would like to see much of, then back and down thru Wales, then hopefully the Cotswolds. (change of plan from original post). After that, it depends on the time left, if any. The idea is to see what we see properly, then come back next year and do what we missed.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 12:25 AM

What time of year are you visiting?
If you can try to include some of Northumbria in your trip from York to Edinburgh.
You will need to find somewhere to stay near York that has public transport easily available unless you use taxis or have hired bikes with the camper van. Same with Edinburgh. You won't be able to par the caper in those cities.
Old Jun 13th, 2017, 07:01 AM

WHEN? Very important missing info.

What you have laid out JUST in England/Scotland/Wales would fill your 6 weeks. Ireland would require a minimum of two weeks itself.

But if this trip is between say late October and March -- parts of it aren't feasible at all.

The campervan will be a real hassle for York, Edinburgh and any other cities. Does the rental company allow their campers to be taken to Ireland?