Search

Most scenic route - Bamberg-Berchtesgaden

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2019, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most scenic route - Bamberg-Berchtesgaden

Hi Fodorites,

I'm still planning my Sept-Oct trip to Germany. I previously posted this Link-> " Driving loop through Germany ", but I've changed things up considerably.

The trip is now 16 nights flying into Hamburg out of Budapest. I'm only using AirBnB for 3 of the 4 nights in Berlin. The rest, throughout the trip, are going to be hotels averaging around $70-80/nt in Germany and $60/nt in Budapest.

My airfares including checked bag for both of us came out to be $500/per person/RT.

I'll rent a car for 2 days to see the German Alps, picking up in Bamberg, dropping off in Munich. Enterprise doesn't charge a drop off fee.

Coincidentally and fortunately (I think) our time in Munich is during Octoberfest. I took a hotel in Unterschleißheim, 2 mins from an S Bahn station.

The reasons I moved away from using AirBnb are:
1) They can cancel on you at any time. I was canceled out of the first AirBnb I booked in Berlin. I'm holding a backup hotel reservation now for my other AirBnB booking in Berlin.
2) You can't just arrive early or late, you have to coordinate arrival times. Some AirBnbs are very strict about arrival times.
3) You can't generally leave your luggage if you get there early or after checkout.

Itinerary
Fly to Hamburg
2 nights Hamburg hotel
Bus to Berlin
4 nights Berlin (3 nights in AirBnB walking distance to Marathon, 1 night at hotel 2 minutes away from AirBnb.)
Train to Bamberg
1 night Bamberg hotel
Drive to Alps
1 night Alps hotel
Drive to Munich hotel, drop car off
4 nights Munich hotel
Train to Budapest
4 nights Budapest hotel
fly home

I have all hotels reserved except for the 1 night alps hotel.

My question is what is the best route to follow from Bamberg to the Alps and back to Munich. I have basically 2 days and 1 night to do it.

I probably won't be going into any castles, although I would enjoy seeing from afar.

My main objective is to see great scenery. Spectacular alpine views, high mountain valleys etc. Charming towns are a given since they seem to be all over the place in Bavaria.

I've read that some parts of the alpenstrasse are nice but not great. I want great, LOL.

One route I'm considering, based on some posts I saw in tripadvisor

Bayrischzell , Oberaudorf, Schneizlreuth, Berchtesgaden

I know I'll need the vignette to go through Austria.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1x6s9zRiokkWZGDaff5b_W_1n7Ds43Jnt&usp=shar ing

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Governator; Jul 24th, 2019 at 06:46 AM.