Reload this Page >

Most scenic - Como or Garda??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Charles

Which is the most scenic - Lake Como or Lake Garda? Many thanks. <BR> <BR>P.S. It's either Villa d'este, Lake Como or Villa Cortine Palace, Lake Garda.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 04:58 AM
Paulo

I personally like Lake Garda (and the art cities at striking distance) better. There was a recent thread on this "Lago di Garda or Lago di Como?" that may be retrieved preforming a search on &lt;garda&gt; ... <BR>Paulo

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 06:35 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Charles, Those are both overpriced hotels in locations that are not the best for the natural splendor that you seem to want. If you want scenery then the best location is Villa Serbelloni on the point at Bellagio. At Lake Garda the south end is bland and flat. If you want to see the Dolomites dumping into the Lake then you want Riva del Garda at the north end. So, you decide if you want opulence or vistas.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 07:21 AM
anniel

As usual, Bob is right. Apart from being near to Verona which is lovely I do not think there is a comparison between Garda and Como. Lake Como is absolutely lovely. Bellagio is the place to stay. There are two or three 3 star hotels, Du Lac, metropole and Belvedere. The first two are in the centre of the town near the ferry point and the latter is up a hill. If you want to spend a lot on your hotel you can stay at Villa Serbelloni. Incidentally, Villa Serbelloni also has apartments which are cheaper than the hotel, although I have never stayed there. There have been many posts about lake Como if you use the search facility.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Mike

Charles, <BR> <BR>There is a small, pretty lake in between the two - Lago d'Iseo. The Franciacorta region is round this area, producing the best Italian sparkling wine. One of the wine families has lured Gualtiero Marchesi, Italy's most famous chef, from Milan to an elegant house on the southern border of the lake, to set up a fine country house hotel called L'Albereta - also very convenient for the autostrada. If you are in the area for a few days touring, this is a good spot to do both lakes from! It is a member of Relais, FYI.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 02:54 PM
Dona

Charles, <BR> <BR>I was supposed to stay 2 nights at Villa D'Este and 5 at Du Lac et Du Parc in Riva del Garda. <BR> <BR>When I pulled into Villa D'Este, I was determined never to leave! Unfortunately I could only stay one additional night. I loved it - and I loved that floating pool... <BR> <BR>From there we stopped for lunch at Gualtiero Marchesi (which was wonderful). His hotel is also beautiful but a bit isolated for me. <BR> <BR>Luckily, we really filled up at lunch - because when we arrived at Riva del Garda (a LONG ride), I found that it was a little too far north for my taste. Lago di Garda is really beautiful, with the mountains coming right down into the lake, but the ambience and the food were not as Italian as I wanted. We lasted one night (without dinner) - and headed to Mantova, which I highly recommend. <BR> <BR>Good luck with your choice... <BR> <BR>Dona

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 03:41 AM
Sylvia

I think Garda. We stay in Sirmione (Catullus' Sirmio). It's beautiful.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 10:16 AM
mary

We are going in June to Como and Bellagio--- any comments on staying at Hotel FLorence-- I read Karen Brown's CHarming inns and this hotel in Bellagio seemed lovely -so I booked two nights there and one night at the Villa d'este before we head to Malpensa for our trip home! Any comments would be truly appreciated! <BR> <BR>mary