mosquito problem

Mar 26th, 2001, 12:23 PM
jean

mosquito problem

I will be renting a villa in Tuscany and then outside Rome in June. I have heard that mosquitoes are a problem and screens non-existent. Also, as our plane arrives on Sunday, will all the stores be closed or will we be able to buy milk and wine, etc. somewhere? Does anyone have any comments or suggestions? Thanks.

Mar 26th, 2001, 01:07 PM
Linda

In Italy they sell little "mosquito machines". They are small, bowl-shaped things that plug into the wall. They come with replaceable wafers. The machine heats up the wafer and the wafer emits a gas that keeps mosquitoes away. It is harmless to humans, actually smells quite nice, lasts hours, and is quite inexpensive. I've never seen them any place but Italy, but I'm allergic to mosquito bites, and can attest to the fact they are very effective. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name (can anybody out there help me?), but if you stop in any place that sells small electronics or a hardware store, and just say "Machina per mozza", they should be able to help you. (Did I remember the Italian word for mosquito correctly>)

Mar 26th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Bob

Food stores that are open on Sunday are the exception but they are becoming more prevalant over the last year or two. To be safe, you may want to stop at one of the larger rest stops on the autostrada where you can buy wine and certain other food supplies although the price will be a bit higher. Then ask the locals and they may know of a store not too far away that is open. As for mosquitos, there is a problem (another reason not to go to Italy in the summer) but it's worse in some areas than others. In flatter agricultural areas that have open irrigation ditches with standing water, the problem will obviously be worse. In hilly areas that have less standing water and more of a breeze, the problem will be much less severe. Bring "skin so soft" or what ever works for you in the US.

Mar 26th, 2001, 05:58 PM
Brad

I believe the product is called Baycon? It's made by Bayer Corporation the people that make the aspirin. I'll be looking for it in Italy as well. My villa also lacks screens.

Mar 26th, 2001, 08:30 PM
Jean

Take some of Avon's "Skin so Soft" with you. A little spray of that rubbed on your skin, feels good, and they (mosquitos) will leave you alone!

Works like a charm.