Moscow

Aug 16th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Moscow

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had a suggested list of activities & outings for Moscow...I will be there on Sep 8-11. I want to see all of the major historic points, but not sure if there are any more adventurous activities to undertake as well.

Thanks!

Aug 28th, 2003, 10:04 AM

There's a ton of things to do in Moscow. I just got back from St. Petersburg & Moscow. An imcomplete list would include Novodevichy Monastery, Park Pobiedy, the flea market(vernisazh) on Sat&Sun mid-morning at Izmailovsky Park, the Tretyakov Gallery, the Donskoy and Danilovsky Monastaries. Of course there's the Kremlin (get there early to avoid the lines) and Lenin's Mausoleum(Open Thur-Sat 10-1) with a very long line. Red Square, as of mid-August was completely closed off, only allowing admittance, after 3 security checks, to the mausoleum due to the recent Chechan bombings. A Policeman I talked to at the barricade said Red Square would be reopened on Sept. 9th. Word of advice, there's alot more document checks now, I guess because of the bombings, than last year, at least in my experience. To me they were always polite and professional and as soon as they checked your passport and visa registration they would thank you and let you go your way. Have fun, if you need any other info I'll be glad to help if I can.
Aug 28th, 2003, 11:14 AM

Vagabond, did you carry your real passport and visa with you or a copy? We are leaving tomorrow for Moscow

Were you able to get into the Kremlin and Armoury or will it be open only after Sept 9?

I've got a list of potential restaurants but if you have any recommendations for Russian/Georgian restaurants, feel free to share

Pmschoe, you might also look into visiting a banya and the circus if it is still in town. The flea market on Sat and Sun looks fun and it reportedly a better place to buy souvenirs than in town. And if you have nice weather, a boat ride on the river might also be something fun.
Aug 28th, 2003, 12:09 PM

Russian law is such that you carry your passport and visa with you at all times, you may run into a problem if you only have a copy with you.

Bolshoi Theatre season starts in September, you might want to consider it, programme and tickets at bolshoi.ru.

Take a ride on the metro, stop at some of the stations.
Aug 28th, 2003, 12:15 PM

Hi, Kristi, The Kremlin and Armory are open as usual, 10-5 I think, closed on Thursday. The lines are long and very slow with the extra security concerns so I would suggest getting there early. I can only assume that Red Square will be open when the Militiaman told me (Sept.9); he looked at me kind of funny when I asked & he answered. My Russian friends laugh because they say I speak Russian with a Volga (southern) accent(I too often say the o's like o's, not a's like Moscow & SPB) and he might have thought something strange. I did hear that date, if not earlier from a guy at the hostel as well. I carried my actual passport with me. I mostly wore cargo pants that have a zippered pocket inside one of the front pockets so it's easy for me to get to but not for anyone else. I had a copy but never used it as all the Militia who stopped me were in uniform and usually doing other duties before they got me or we were in a very crowded place. The only Georgian restuarants I ate at in Russia were in SPB; my God, that food is pure heaven! Chicken Kurinnii shashlik....There was one place I went in Moscow, kind of a cafe that was outstanding, called the Chai Dom near Tverskaya Ul. where the Bliny & Blinchiki were great and cheap. Take an umbrella, it's been raining alot there. In fact, the day before I arrived, Aug. 8th, parts of Prospekt Mira were completely flooded and the streets closed. Also, don't miss Park Pobiedy at night when the fountains are lit red, the Church lit up, one of Stalin's 7 sisters brightly lit to the side, the Napoleon arch lit; it's truly beautiful and with a new metro stop right next to it which might not be on your maps; last stop on line 3(?). Have fun!!
Aug 28th, 2003, 01:26 PM

Thanks Vagabond, I have already packed my umbrella and raincoat, it's getting worse every time I open weather.com.

And I will be sure to carry my passport and visa at all times as I don't look even remotely Russian.

I hadn't read about Park Pobiedy, I'll be sure to add it to our already stuffed itinerary!

Hope you had a good trip!
Aug 29th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information...I head out tomorrow for London and will be arriving in Moscow on September 10.

Search this Thread