MOROCCO AND KIDS

Search

MOROCCO AND KIDS

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOROCCO AND KIDS

Taking my 13 and 15 year old to Spain. We plan on going to Morocco for a visit. Can we go on a camel ride if we are only there for one day or should we stay over night? My older child wants to go shopping. Any great markets anyone has been to. Also, I have read about proper dress, what about head wear, will a cap be okay? Thanks for your help.

Franbran
Old May 28th, 2006, 02:49 PM

So, I guess you are doing a Tangier daytrip, which is a pity as it is so not at all what Morocco is about. However, you will get some great shopping and it will be a new experience.

When I was there I was always fully covered because I bought a djelabah (I was there for a month). For a day trip, no worries, though it is always nice for women to be fully covered if possible.
Old May 28th, 2006, 04:15 PM

I personally wouldn't do a daytrip to Morocco because you will inevitably end up in Tangiers and, while you'll get some sense of the exoticism of Morocco, you'll also get the absolute worst that beautiful country has to offer.

It's like a daytrip to Tijuana...

But if you must go, just shop in the souks - there will be no end of things for your kids to marvel at.

As Westerners, no one will expect you to swaddle yourselves, but women/girls should dress modestly and wear head coverings in mosques, if you go into any.

What kind of "cap" do you mean? I sincerely hope not a baseball "cap." A hats not necessary, just a kerchief or shawl if you are visiting religious sites.
Old May 28th, 2006, 05:49 PM

As StCirq said, it's like visiting Tijuana for the day. Absolutely not a representation of Morocco which is wonderful.

However, if you must go, and bear in mind it's a fairly long boat trip over to Tangiers, maybe you could find a tour (prior to going) that would take you for a camel ride. Upon arrival I would imagine you will be bombarded by tour guides.

For shopping, the fun would be a souk but, again, you will need to know how to get there. I am sure a tour company in Spain could help you.
Old May 28th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Forgot to comment on dress. In any Muslim country it's best to dress conservatively, that is arms/legs covered - as I recall, over the knee skirts/slacks and short or long sleeves. You can slip a scarve over your head if a woman (don't know about men) to visit a mosque which will only be the ones open to tourists.

Don't know about Morocco but in Turkey if you weren't appropriately dressed, they would give you some cover up stuff.
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:57 AM

Hi fradbran,

You'll find more information on Morocco if you search under Africa instead of Europe.