More Swiss-Italy Trip Itinerary Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have looked at this forum and tried to sort out all that is said about a Switzerland/Italy trip but cant find to seem the help I am looking for, so I thought I would just set up my own post Hopefully it can be of help in the future.

So, here it is. My parents (mid 50s) are coming to visit me in Geneva this summer for about 14 days (12 if you take the flight arrival and departure into account).

My mom wants to see everything and is big on the Alps, Swiss scenery, pretty train rides, etc. My father wants to move as little as possible and is more into northern Italy. The itinerary I came up with is as follows:

Day 1: Geneva (for purposes of visiting me, so not really negotiable)
Day 2: Montreux (jazz festival)
Day 3: Montreux (with a possible day trip to Gruyeres)
Day 4: Montreux-Zermatt, stay over in Zermatt
Day 5: Zermatt to Lugano
Day 6: Lugano to Lake Como
Day 7: Lake Como
Day 8: Milan or Bologna
Day 9: Bologna
Day 10: Venice
Day 11: Venice
Day 12: Venice to Geneva via airplane
Day 13: Geneva (for national holiday)
Day 14: depart

There is a lot of traveling but most of it is quick right? I have looked all train times and tried to coordinate with what was most effecient. I know how organized the Swiss are so I am not concerned with effective travel times, but do you think it would still feel like too much for someone that isnt into being on the go?

What would you cut out if you had to? Any ideas as to how to get from Zermatt to Bologna or Venice quickly?

Also, they are recently keen on Bologna and Parma area. Is it worth it? How many days do you think need to be alloted to it?

I hope someone can help sort this all out. I am trying to be of help but it seems they want to do it all with perfect ease....

Suggestions? Help? Experience?!?!?

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 11:10 AM

Over all, it's pretty good IMO. I suggest that you simplify the middle part (Days 6,7,8,9) by picking one nice spot on Lake Como (say Bellagio or Varenna). I'd drop Milan and Bologna.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 11:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It depends how much they don't like "being on the go"... for me it would be WAY too much traveling about.

I love the Geneva area, and have visited friends in Vevey/Montreux many times. I usually spend 2 weeks or so total, split between Switzerland + 1-2 other places.

I've combined Geneva area with Venice & Paris, Venice only, Amsterdam only, flying into or out of the other city besides Geneva.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the help....They are definitely okay with doing a few places but I think somewhere in between what Suze does and what I have planned....
You would cut out Bologna and Milan? I think they are hesitant about Milan. Do you think Bologna is not worth it as well?
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 04:15 AM

It's not that Bologna is "not worth it" - it's that, given your criteria, you have to do some editing. Your time would be better spent enjoying the beauty of northern Italy and Lake Como, IMO.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 04:23 AM
ira

Hi N,

Wouldn't they want to spend more than just 1 day with you?

Are your folks Jazz fans?

Is this by car or by train?

I think I would cut out Milan/Bologna and add time to the Lakes area.

Old Mar 8th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the messages.
First, following these posts, I think we have made the decision to drop Milan and Lugano, adding more time to Lake Como. This would mean a longer trip from Zermatt to Lake Como, but it would be just one day of 5 hour traveling, so its doable....
They are still keen on Bologna, but now okay with giving it one day.
To answer the other questions, i will travel with them for most of this. Sadly though, the Lake Como portion I will be working!!! But with the exception of a few days, I will be with them.
And my dad is a HUGE jazz fan. He has wanted to go to Montreux Jazz Festival since the 70s, so thats a must.
Lastly, its by train. They could do by car but it would avoid confrontation if no one had to drive. After 30 years of marriage they have learned these things
So, how does that sound? Doable by train? Hitting the best spots? Adding time to Lake Como, cutting Milan and Lugano? The right choice?
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 06:18 AM

I happen to prefer the scenery of Lake Lugano to that of Lake Como. I think it's easier to reach by train too. Staying in Lugano might be a good idea - it's an easy one hour bus ride over to Menaggio and from there one can board the ferry across to Bellagio and Varenna. Seeing the lakes and villages by boat is the best way to enjoy them...
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 06:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds better... I think the Milan cut is wise. I'm not sure I'd try to squeeze in Gruyeres. If your Dad loves jazz, two days spent in Montreux at the Festival will not be too much.
Old Mar 8th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Great. Thanks for everything. It really helped. We are going to stay with the cut to Milan AND Gruyeres (yes, you're right, too much).
Lugano versus Lake Como is still up for debate amongst the parents. I would be for Lugano as well, but I have come to love the Swiss cleaniless and effeciency. My parents arent there yet....
I think it is basically smoothed out now and they should like the way it looks. Thanks again!!