Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

More questions on Aix, Avignon, Cote d'Azur

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 04:18 AM
debbie

We had planned on staying in Aix after reading as our base for Provence - 4 days. We want to see Aix, Arles, St. Remy and Avignon. If we have time, we would also love to see Roussillon and we would also love to see a vineyard or two. Someone mentioned Aix may be too far away as a base. How far is it from Aix to Avignon? How is the driving in this area? We will be staying at Villa Gallici - has anyone stayed there?

For Cote' d'Azur, we are still undecided, but want to stay in a smaller town as a base and then venture out to Villefrance, Menton, Tourrettes, Eze, Vence, Biot and St. Paul. We liked the sound of St. Paul as a base using Hotel St. Paul. Does anyone know if these is bus service to the areas we want to see, or will be definitely need a car? Everyone mentions Nice to stay - but it is way to large a feel for what we want.

How much can we reasonably expect to see without being run ragged 4-5 days in each area? Can anyone suggest where we can find street maps of the area? We have a route map, but can't find a "walking" street map. Also, we will be going in May - how will the crowds be?

Thanks.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 04:54 AM
ann

There is a highway from Aix to Avignon, it was fast but I can't remember exactly how long it took us, I think about an hour. The rest of the roads (like from Avignon to St Remy, etc) are two lane but quite good. The tourist information office, which is right by the big fountain just as you enter the old part of town, has walking/street maps. In the Cote d'Azur area there is bus service from Nice to at least some of the towns (Vence)but if you want to see very many you would definitely need a car. There are also maps available in Vence at the tourist information office (they are well maked - the offices that is, when you drive into the towns you see them, in Vence the bus stop is in front of the tourist office). I don't know about the really small towns like St Paul. But if you could find one it would be a good idea. I got very lost walking around St Paul - must have been going in circles - couldn't find my way out back to the parking garage.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 04:54 AM
Gretchen

Aix is about an hour from Avignon. The other distances--Rousillon, Gordes, Uzes, Chateauneuf,etc. are all doable but St. Remy would be a much more central and charming place than either Aix or Avignon.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 04:56 AM
Gretchen

Aix is about an hour from Avignon and all the other sites--Rousillon, Gordes, etc. are doable but St. Remy would be much more central and charming. You can get city maps on maporama.com

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 11:43 AM
Andy

Don't STAY in St.Paul de Vence--just do it as a day trip--very touristy and a beautiful walled town with a fantastic art gallery==the Gallery Maecht,headquarters for all of MIRO's artwork-For the Cote d'Azur, I would pick Nice as a good base or the hilltop medieval town of Eze ,overlooking the Med or even stay in St.Tropez in a BnB overlooking the Med--awesome places ALL--HAVE A GREAT TIME-we were there in May and you had to remove me kicking and screaming!!!

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 12:12 PM
alex

Debbie: I love St. Tropez, though not as much as my wife (loves St. Tropez). Nevertheless, it is at the western fringe of the Riviera, and much too far out of your way, if you intend to see the perched villages in the east. It's fairly accessible to towns along the coast that are serviced by train, but, you'd still need to get to St. Raphael, no short jog, the closest train station. I strongly recommend driving on your tour of the Riviera if you have the option. If you're married to the bus as your mode of travel you probably ought to base yourselves in Nice, or at least on the coast. Otherwise, I am skeptical you'd find bus service very convenient, especially if you chose as your base a town such as St. Paul de Vence. The connections would be grossly inconvenient. To paraphrase the master philosopher, you may find you can't get there from there. As I wrote you before, you may find Menton disappointing. There's nothing there but the weather( and a minor museum, the Musee des Beaux-arts). Monaco, down the coast, is a far livelier and lovelier day trip.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Randy

I have a friend who can solve you transportation problem in St. Paul. He has a business called Provence Rivera Tours and you can check out his services at his web site: http://www.provencerivieratours.com/
E-mail him and I am sure he can personalize your tour.

Old Oct 14th, 2001, 07:40 PM
Sue

As for western Provence, Avignon or St. Remy would be much better located than Aix for the side trips you want to make if you don't want to be run ragged. I would also not stay in hill towns, but rather Nice or Villefranche.