More Puglia Questions

Search

More Puglia Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Puglia Questions

I have a few more questions for the Puglia experts.

I've been finding out that many of the B&B's and masserie do not accept credit cards.
Presumably, this also applies to restaurants?

What about gas stations? Do they accept credit cards, and are they mostly self or full service?

Finally, and most importantly, are ATM's readily available in the smaller towns? I'm so used to relying on plastic, I never carry cash anywhere! TIA.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Another question.
I've been asked to send a check deposit to one of the B&B's. This may sound stupid, but what's the best way to do this? I've never really been faced with this before.

A few years ago I sent a donation to the Croce Rossa after receiving their services while in Italy, and the bank in NY charged me a $25 fee just for the check alone. I'd like to avoid that, if possible.
Any suggestions?
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 05:22 AM

Yes, some B&B's and masserias do not accept credit cards. But a lot do. And I don't remember ever having to pay cash at restaurants while we were there (but then again I do remember looking on the door to see whether they accept credit or not), you can purposely choose those that do if carrying cash is a problem. Gas stations - again some do accept and others not, some are self service while others give service. I don't remember getting cash at ATM's because I guess I had enough with me for when I needed it.

As for sending check deposits, I never do this so I cannot help you with that.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 05:40 AM

Did they ask for a bank check in Euro or just a personal check that they will hold until you arrive and pay? There should be no charge to you if they want a personal check.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Flame, thanks for the info.
It was the Villa Giuliana that asked for a deposit. Did you not have to send a deposit? Or maybe you didn't book in advance?
I don't mind having to send a deposit, I just don't want to pay a check fee that's almost half the cost of the room!
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 05:43 AM

I faced the same B&B deposit by check problem. The Pugliese B&B owners seem to be a pretty distrustful lot; I've booked B&Bs throughout Sicily without ever being asked for a deposit, but that is neither here nor there.

Ask the B&B owner whether s/he would be prepared to accept a check in US dollars drawn on your regular account. In the unlikely event that you do a no show, s/he *would* be able to cash it, but only for a high fee.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

avalon,
What it said was, "To secure the booking we normally require a deposit of € 45 , you can just post a check if it ok with you".
I took that to mean payment in Euro, but maybe not.
Is a personal check in dollars of any value in Europe? Would they be able to cash it if necessary?
I guess I'll just write back and ask them to clarify, but I'm curious as to whether a personal check in $$ means anything.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Ok, zerlina, you've answered the question as to the value of the check.
So far, only one place asked for a deposit. One place didn't and I'm waiting to hear from the third.
I think I'll just offer to send them a check in a larger amount so it would cover the cost of any fees they have to pay.
I have no intention of not showing up, and if for any reason I didn't, I would pay them anyway, but it's better to not have either party incur any unnecessary costs up front.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

zerlina, BTW, having traveled thru' Puglia, do you have any info on the availability of ATM's?
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 06:13 AM

I haven't really traveled *through* Puglia, and I haven't used ATMs in Puglia. After many years of traveling to Italy, I find it less of a hassle (and cheaper) to travel with Euros in cash that I can get from hole-in-the-wall foreign-exchange outfits in the city where I live (not in the US). They offer a better exchange rate than the banks and don't charge ATM fees. I do realize that most people prefer not to travel with cash.

I would be hugely surprised, though, if ATMs were scarce in Puglia. They've become a way of life in Italy as much as in North America, and Puglia is not that backward.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 06:47 AM

panecott - Villa Guiliana - yes. I remember they also asked us for a deposit but I begged off and managed to get them to waive it for me (they are a small operation like many of these places are) and they are just worried that people will not show up and they will lose out on that room. I told them that I will let them know at least a week beforehand if I could not make it (and wrote also that the only reason for not coming would be something terrible and unfortunate that I would have no control over) and in the end I managed to convince them.

Zerlina - if you haven't traveled through Puglia how are you aware of their practices there?
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 06:53 AM

Panecott:

I just completed my planning for Puglia at the end of April. Several places mentioned a deposit. I explained that any transfer of money would cost me about $25, and in the cases where I wanted to rent, they relented and didn't press regarding the deposit.

When are you going?
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 07:23 AM

Flame123, I have traveled *to* Puglia and *in* Puglia; I have not traveled *through* Puglia from one end to the other.

I am well aware from experience of B&B practices there. Where I am not aware of something from personal experience, e.g., the prevalence of ATMs, I have said so.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.
I heard back from the third place and they didn't require a deposit either, and they said there are plenty of ATM's in the area - Gargano Peninsula. So getting cash shouldn't be a problem.
So it's just the one place that asked for a deposit and I offered to send a personal check for more than the exchange rate Eu/$$, and explained about the check fee, so we'll see. It may well be that all they wanted was a personal check in the first place, but it wasn't clear to me. So we'll see.

sssteve, I'm also going in late April. To my surprise, I have found that many places in the Gargano Peninsula don't open until May.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 09:46 AM

Zerlina - my question did not mean to offend, I was just wondering and you answered, thanks.

Panecott - I did basically as sssteve did, and they waived the deposit in the end. Good luck
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 12:32 PM

panecott:

I'm aware of the gargano peninsula being pretty much closed in April. We'll spend a day visiting while we are staying in Trani.

I've planned 3 days in Lecce, 3 near Ostuni, 1 day in Matera and 3 in Trani. Flying into Brindisi and out of Bari.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

I'm flying in and out of Rome. I was planning to spend a few days there at the end of my trip but the more I read about Puglia, the more time I want to spend there. So I think I'm going to do 2-3 nts. in Gargano, 3 in the Ostuni area and 3-4 in the Lecce area and just spend my last night in Rome. I'd like to visit the Tremiti Islands from Gargano. I've booked B&B's but notified them that I might add or take away a day here and there.

I was planning to do a day trip to Matera from Ostuni, unless it's more feasible from Lecce. I'm still studying my map.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 08:58 PM

Panecott:

It's feasible to do a day trip to Matera to Lecce. It's only about 100 KM. With all I'd read about Matera, I deceided that it would be an interesting experience to spend the night there "after the day trippers have gone home". I even added a day to do it.

What dates will you be there? Are you aware that April 25 is a holiday? (WW2 liberation day)