Reload this Page >

More Last Minute Tips

Search

More Last Minute Tips

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 06:25 PM
Timothy

More Last Minute Tips

Now we are leaving in 7 days for Paris, Switzerland and maybe Italy. I have two questions. 1). What is the difference between a Bistro, a Brasserie and a Cafe? Is there a difference? and 2). When I travel I carry a swiss army knife (the corkscrew sho do come in handy!) and a leatherman pocket tool, Which contains a knife blade. Should I expect any problems getting these items through airports, custom and/or across boarders? Thanks, Timothy.

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 06:17 AM
John

Tim, strange as it may seem, but I had a small pocket knife confiscated by USAir flying from Burlington, Vermont to NY recently. I could not believe the fuss they made. When asked, I told them I use it to open letters and such. Did they really expect me to say, yea, I use it take down airplanes, especially the ones I am flying on or to threaten the stewardess which there wasn't any on this commuter flight if they don't bring me a drink which there isn't any as well. Well, they would only let me on the plane if I didn't carry it. So we had to find my checked bag and put it in it for the flight. <BR> <BR>As for the difference between a Cafe, Bistro, Brassserie I am not real sure, but will offer my understading of the differences. <BR> <BR>A Cafe will serve lighter meals and a variety of beverages throughout the day. They are also meeting places and places people go to be among friends or shelters from bad weather. They are also handy for telphones and toilettes. Cafes are opened early for coffee and croissants. They are also busy for light lunches and for the apertif hours of around 5:30PM-7:30PM. <BR> <BR>At the other end of the spectrum is the Restaurant where, as you can imagine, is where you do the heavier, serious eating. Unlike Cafes, they do not open early for coffee and croissants or are for beverages during the day or for apepertifs, in general. They rely on the lunch and dinner trade. <BR> <BR>Brasseries are restaurants-cum-cafes in that they often have a bar and serve both large and light meals and open early and close late serving continously. So they have the complete range from early in the day with just coffee and croissants to both light and heavy lunches, snacks and beverages during the day, aperifs for early evening and full dinners in the evening. <BR>Supposedly, brasseries only serve quick meals involving only the entree such as a steak or chop, but exceptions do come to mind. <BR> <BR>A Bistro is typically a small neighborhood restaurant similar to a pub or tavern and usually less formal than a restaurant. <BR> <BR>Whatever the definition, I would always consult the menu listed outside to assure it has whatever you are looking for as well as the prices. It is consider un-chic in Paris to be seated and then change your mind. <BR> <BR>A few other pointers. Some Cafe-Restaurants have tables set with cloths which are reserved for those wishing dine and should not be taken if you only plan to have a drink, snack or even a small salad. <BR> <BR>Service Compris means that 15% is built into the prices for service. So the prices listed are the total cost. Service non compris means that 15% will automatically be added to your bill. Hence, the prices listed do not reflect the 15% service charge that will be added to your bill. However, note that in either case, the tip is included in your bill and does not require a separate tip. It is customary, however, to leave loose change returned to you usually in a small dish, but not more than 5% above what you have already paid. Many if not most tourists do not understand the term "service non compris" and think it means they have to leave a 15% tip which the waiter is willing to accept if offered. I have never seen a waiter explain or return a 15-20% tip left on top of what was already inluded in the bill.

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 02:31 AM
Vincent

I would just like to add a few points to John's authoritative post :at lunch time, cafés provide full meals, and it is actually their main activity at that time, which means that you are always "greeted" with a direct "C'est pour manger ?" by the waiter, who will then direct you to the proper section (eat, or just drink, but it's not the best time to stop for a drink ! ). Brasserie is the French word for "brewery", and it's what they used to be in the XIXth Century : places where beer used to be served, with a hearty meal. Actually, now, brasseries are defined more by their decor (typically Belle Epoque) and their atmosphere (noisy) than by the type of food they serve. Although there is supposed to be "brasserie fare", such as sauerkraut, oysters. Those are plain, no-nonsense places, usually open til late (1 or 2 AM, some around the clock). <BR>The fate of the word "bistrot" is an interesting one. "Bistro" means "fast" in Russian : after Napoleon's defeat, the cosacks came to Paris, and were impatient to get drinks : so they went to cafés, and ordered drinks, that were supposed to come quickly, hence "bistro". Afterwards, it became the nickname for cafés in Paris ; only recently has it become snobbish to call a small restaurant a "bistrot". For instance, big chefs with several Michelin stars now open more modest restaurants called bistrots to serve less fancy, less expensive, but very good food (very good value BTW). Actually, the "bistrot" is supposed to have the same turn-of-the-century flavor as the "brasserie", but more intimate. <BR> <BR>I hope this'll help ! <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 05:24 AM
John

Vincent, what a wonderful description you gave. I never knew the origins of the word bistro. Thank you.

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 06:06 AM
Maira

RE: Swiss Army knife <BR> <BR>Recently, a co-worker triggered the alarm at a federal building in NYC and was asked to hand over to Security the Swiss Army knife he was carrying (until our meeting was over). It was a present from his father and he had a real hard time parting with it, even for a while. I'll say expect the best but prepare for the worse. You could be ask to hand-it over, so be ready to have somebody at the airport to take it back.

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 06:23 AM
John

Re: carrying a knife. I think it is ok if you pack it in your luggage. They just don't want you carrying it on the plane on your person.

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 09:39 AM
elvira

I've carried a swiss army knife on every trip, packed in my carry on. Never had a problem...which is either 1) middle-aged women pose no threat [if they only knew] or 2) they can't tell what it is so they let it go. Every time I pass through airport security, I expect them to throw a fit. I think I'd leave the Leatherman at home, but try the Swiss Army knife.

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 09:58 AM
John

Elvira, in my case, the knive was in my pocket and I set off the alarm going through the walk-thru detector. Perhaps they wouldn't have said anything if it was in one of my bags.

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 10:04 AM
j.cabral

Timothy: The supposedly official airline rules are that you can take a small knife ie-swiss army knife on the plane only if it is packed in your checked luggage. I have had this confirmed by ticket agent at Air France as I usually pack one and a small pair of sewing scissors . I had sewing scissors confiscated at airport once and mailed back to me. I am sure people slip through airport security but with world situations as such I would not tempt the fate as security at most European airports is tighter these days.. Pack it in your luggage just to be on safe side. You really shouldn't need it on plane. <BR>

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 10:13 AM
Beth

If you want to see airport security throw a fit, try packing a flute in a carry on. I guess it looks just like a pipe bomb in the x-ray. They make me take it out, and one guard actually asked me to play it! <BR> <BR>Never had any trouble with a swiss army knife though.

Old Apr 13th, 1999, 10:33 AM
John

Beth, I have another one for you. Try travelling without any bags. I got detained and grilled on both sides of the ocean.