Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Montserrat or Catalunian coastal towns? Day trips from Barcelona to recommend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 01:30 PM
sabrina

Has anyone been to Monserrat? We'll be in Barcelona next month and are considering one or two day trips from the city. <BR>What about Sitges or Tarragona? <BR>We're not *real* interested in beaches per se, but the towns themselves. <BR>Any great stories or recommendations? <BR>

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 02:28 PM
ilisa

Montserrat was the single most enjoyable day of our trip to Spain last summer. The view from the mountain is breathtaking, as is the monastery itself. When we were there, we were told that if a woman touched the ball in the Black Virgin's hand, she would be pregnant within 9 months. We still laugh at the fact that this Jewish girl touched it and was pregnant one month later. Anyway, you should definitely make a point of going there. We booked our trip through our hotel and combined it with a visit to a winery.

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 02:33 PM
elvira

Monserrat is worth the trip; if any one is an acrophobic, the cable car ride to the top could be a bit much. <BR>We went to Figueres for the Dali Museum, which was quite an experience. We had lunch by the port, which was very nice. Have no idea what the beaches are like, since we aren't beach people either. <BR>Both places are on the train line.

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 11:48 PM
Sheila

<BR>Montserrat is a wonderful experience. in wonderful scenery. You can do beaches anywhere.

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 11:18 AM
sabrina

Thanks for all the glowing confirmations of what we already thought! <BR>How did you all *get* to Montserrat? We've read that you can take a bus or train. <BR>Which is more scenic? Train? <BR>Any recommendations are appreciated! <BR>

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 12:05 PM
elvira

I don't remember whether the trip was scenic, but the train stop was just a few steps from the cable car to the tippy tippy tippy top of the mountain. <BR>All my trip stuff is packed away, or I'd be able to tell you what train, how long, etc. Didn't even know a bus was available! Bit nippy on the mountain; take a sweater.... <BR>Stations of the Cross are beautiful sculptures along a curving path (impressive to even two Prods); there's even a statue of Pablo Casals. Black Virgin is very...mm...spiritual? For two Prods surrounded by Catholics, maybe it was the crowd that had the spirituality...anyway, I'd visit again.

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 01:19 PM
Sheila

I drove, but trains leave Barcelona every hour from early morning to mid evening. Some go direct and others you have to change for. You get off at Aeri(not Olesa) de Montserrat and the fiunicular runs 9 as Elvira says from the station. the funicular fare is included in the train ticket. I stayed at the Monistrol de Monserrat overnight for about £38 bed and breakfast- basic but clean room and facilities and breakfast.

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 01:41 PM
Kim

Two Places, both an easy train ride from Barcelona: <BR> <BR>1. Sitges _about 20 min by train--Sitges is a neat strolling town with a lot of color. It's quite chic and has a large gay population who add a lot of flavor to the resort. <BR> <BR>2. Montserrat--bring some red wine and take in the view--it's incredible. See the boy's choir, climb the mountain with tiny steps made by the monks. You will have to take a tramvia up to the top-- that in itself is fun. A truly memorable trip. (one hour from Barcelona) <BR> <BR>Tarragona was blase-- I tried Cadaques--the Dali Museum, which was a trip. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 09:10 AM
Topper

Sabrina, a poster called Mary-Beth just came back from Sitges. I am sure she'll be glad to share some thoughts with you. A word of warning; her English may appeared like from medieval times. At least that where her ideas seems to be from.