montreux to lucerne by rail?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do trains connect Montreux to Lucerne? Do trains connect Locarno to Paris (via Bellinzano)? What is best way to see train routes, times, etc?

Also, any recommendations for hotels in Lucerne and Locarno (for 2 adults and 2 children - modest in price). Especially would like to know of family rooms where all 4 of us can stay - to cut down on cost. Have discovered to my chagrin, that most hotels allow only 3 max to a room, and thus have to get 2 rooms to accomodate both children.

Many thanks for any advice. I am new at this.

ajl
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:18 AM

You can use the SwissRail website to check schedules and fares:

www.sbb.ch

OR the GermanRail site (which i much prefer):

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the train advice. ajl
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 04:03 AM

We had a twin/ensuite room at Goldener Stern (Luzern) in 2003, very acceptable inexpensive hotel. Their price list shows a quad:
http://www.goldener-stern.ch/kontakt_e.htm
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:53 AM

I suspect if you input Montreux to Luzern, they will route you via Bern. That is probably the quickest route, but not the most scenic.

If you want a more scenic route, try to input Mentreux to Luzern via Interlaken West. The trip will be a little longer, but I think the scenery is well worth the extra time. This is marketed as the Golden Pass route because of the scenery.

I'm not familiar with Locarno to Paris via Bellinzano, but I would expect good scenery passing through that part of Switzerland. The Bernina Express line is well known for the beautiful scenery, but it ends in Lugano and would be somewhat indirect and might make the trip all the way to Paris too long, but they usually have dining cars on European trains that can help break up a long day.

You might look into getting some sort of Swiss railpass, or the half-fare card, as I believe children under 16 are free when the accompanying adults have these.

If you will be in one place long enough, you might look at renting an apartment or chalet. That is usually economical if you will be staying a week, but some offer shorter rentals, albeit at higher prices.