Reload this Page >

Montmartre..What's it like?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Rhonda

Planning a family trip to Paris in January and am interested in an apartment in the Montmatre very near the Sacre Coeur. Have heard mixed reports on the area. Would welcome opinions from people who have stayed in the area. Thanks in anticipation...

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 07:59 AM
Jim

For reasons I do not know, this area seems to have deteriorated in the last few years. The streets are full of trash and dirty. We used to spend time here but now avoid the area--it's a "downer". And watch out for the "kids" around the Sacre Coeur; they can strip a Rolex or wallet in warp-speed time, and run faster than you can!

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 08:11 AM
shell

I was in Paris Oct 99, and Montmatre was one of my favorite spots. But I'm also a fan of Dali, and since he lived up there I felt it was a special place. However, it truly does have charm and character I didn't see elsewhere in Paris. <BR> <BR>And I did not ever feel like I was going to be ripped off by kids....only by the artists who stop and insist on drawing you, even when they're not very good!

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Christina

I like parts of Montmartre a lot and wouldn't mind staying there except it is rather inconvenient due to distance and hilliness. It makes a big difference where you are in Montmartre and exactly how near Sacre Coeur. I like the area near the Lamarck metro stop (rues Lamarck, Caulaincourt, Junot and Lepic), lots of good small shops and cafes around there (I like Cafe Sancerre). I would not want to be within a block or so of Sacre Coeur, though, it's jammed with tourists and yes, those who prey on them either legitimately or not. Down near bd de Clichy gets sleazier and not charming either so that's another area I would not want to stay in.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 10:59 AM
Capo

Hi Rhonda. I haven't stayed in Montmartre before, but I always go there at least once when I'm in Paris because I love the village feel to it. I tend to avoid the south/southwest area (near Place Pigalle) and, instead, wander around the area to the north and northeast. To the north of Sacre Coeur is the only remaining vineyard in Montmartre, and the charming Lapin Agile cabaret. <BR> <BR>Here's a website I found with a photo of the vineyard, as well as some other photos of Montmartre. Three years ago, when I was there in October, I walked along the Rue St. Vincent (in one of the photos) and all of the vines had turned a vivid rich red color. <BR> <BR>http://home.clara.net/wfha/paris2000/d3b.htm

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 11:25 AM
rhonda

Sorry...I should have been more specific. The apartment that we're considering is in Rue Charles Nodier(parallel to Rue Ronsard and gardens Square Willette..if I'm holding my map the right way South East of Sacre Coeur). I appreciate that some areas are better than others so any comments on this particular area?

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Thyra

My husband and I love Montmatre, in the past few years it has undergon a renaissance, very trendy neighborhood now. We usually stay in a hotel that has a sweeping, panoramic view of all of paris for around $120.00 per night. And sometimes we just like to stay in our hotel and watch the artists below, and see the lights of the eiffle tower come on. <BR>Frankly the only downside to the area is that is is a bit far out from the center, and if you have not been to Paris before you may want a more central local. But we just love it. The "sleazy" part is quite a way down from Sacre Coeur.. the Place Pigalle with all of le Sex shoppes is several blocks down and if you take the metro you never even have to cross it.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 11:28 AM
rhonda

Sorry...me again. The closest Metro station appears to be Anvers. I guess Abbesses is quite close as well. Thank you for all your contributions to date..Look forward to hearing more..Thanks Rhonda

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 11:42 AM
rhonda

Any more opinions?

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 12:18 PM
xx

We as two females walked to Montmartre in May 2001 from the Latin Quater. Great walk BTW. Had a coffee, saw Sacre Coure, and Moulin Rouge, and got out. Really did not feel safe there. Alot of men hanging about leaning on lamp posts and buildngs. Quite a seedy area. We couldn't wait to get out.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 12:23 PM
paul

I think the part of Montmartre that's seedy is the part near Pigalle, right? The southern part, at the bottom of the hill. The more northern area, and west, actually away from Sacre Coeur, is really quiet and charming. There is a street that winds its way up the western and northern part of Montmartre that is really lovely.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Christina

nope, sorry, except to tell you that Abbesses isn't that close to that street, there are a couple other metro stops somewhat closer, Barbes-Rochecouart is next closest and then maybe Chateau Rouge is about the same as Abbesses, although they probably didn't tell you that (the owners) because that isn't a very good area and you might not want to use those stops. That street is almost right next to the large square in front of Sacre Coeur with the carousel and all the tourist hell hubbub, I think. So, all I can say is it is not where I would choose to stay in Paris for several reasons, and if I were going to stay in Montmartre it would be around Lamarck metro not right next to Sacre Coeur, as I said -- however, it may be ok for you, and not dangerous or anything, depends what you are worried about; if you don't want to be alone, you don't have to go far, that's for sure, and it's not as bad as nearby rue Steinkerque (which is the main one tourists go up to Sacre Coeur, I think). There's a clothing/fabric market right there at Willette Sq at the end of rue Charles Nodier at place St-Pierre that's popular. I wouldn't worry about staying there, I just think it's inconvenient, mainly. YOu have to climb up stairs at the end of the street to get up to Sacre Coeur; there are stairs on the streets now and again around there due to the hills. Here's a URL I found which describes the stores and market at the bottom of your street:http://www.paris-anglo.com/sights/pl...st-pierre.html

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 01:12 PM
rhonda

Thank you all for your contributions to date!! Greatly appreciated. <BR>The dilemma I have is finding an apartment that will accommodate 6 comfortably. The one in Montmatre was my first choice as far as the apartment itself went but I was concerned about the location (obviously). <BR> <BR>Christina, I'd be interested to hear what you think about Boulevard Saint-Marcel - southern edge of Latin Quarter/5th arrondisement. Near avenue des Gobelins..Metro Les Gobelins. There is an apartment there that suits our accommodation needs but would this area be more desirable? I value your opinion. Thanks again. <BR>Rhonda

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Christina

almost didn't see this, so I guess I'll comment a little. Avenue des Gobelins is one of my favorite poems of Jacques Prevert. That's not a glamorous part of town, but it's not touristy, either. I myself would definitely choose it over rue Charles Nodier in Montmartre, espec with kiddies. Bd Marcel is better than some other parts of the 13th, actually, it can be kind of tacky (ugly modern highrises) around Porte d'Italie. Bd Marcel isn't bad as that location is very close to the Mouffetard area of the Latin Qtr which I like, as well as some brasseries, cafes, epiceries, etc in the Val du Grace quartier. I was just attending music school around there (near Val du Grace) this summer and went down bd Marcel quite a few times as one of my favorite bus lines, the no. 91, goes right along it and then across the river to Gare de Lyon and the Opera Bastille; it starts around Gare Montparnasse, I think, and runs along bd Montparnasse first, the bd Port-Royal. That's a great bus line and you may want to use it a lot to supplement the metro line there. That area is just kind of normal what is often called "working class." There is a nice park very near, Sq Rene le Gall behind the Gobelins tapestry factory (which is sort of interesting, I think tours are only in French). There are general stores and movies along ave des Gobelins. There are several schools around that area and a good open-air food market on bd Auguste Blanqui (runs west of Porte d'Italie) on Tu, Fri and Sun, although that may be a bit far for you and you won't necessarily need to go there. There are several very good bakeries around there, JC Vanderstichel at 31 bd Arago and nearby Maison Plane at 53 bd Arago. Chinatown is down at the bottom of the 13th if you just keep going down that street, it become ave de Choisy, I think most Chinese markets and restaurants are around there and to the east to ave d'Ivry. One of the best hospitals in Paris is right near bd St Marcel, La Pitie-Salpetriere, it takes up a big area between there and Gar d'Austerlitz (that's the one where they took Princess Diana and where she died). So, anyway, I do think this area is preferable to the one in Montmartre for a lot of reasons. It's also much closer to central Paris and the things you'll probably want to be visiting.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 01:55 PM
Rhonda

Christina: <BR>Wow! Thank you so much for all the information. It really is appreciated. This sort of information can not be found in a book - well I guess it could be but more than likely ten or so books. Thanks again. <BR>Rhonda

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 09:45 AM
vontrier

I second Christina's recommendation of La Sancerre and the area around Place des Abbesses.<BR><BR>Have never felt unsafe or assailed by any one, tourists or otherwise.<BR>

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 06:16 AM
Heidi

Just back from Paris (11/10) and while I loved visiting Sacre Coeur and Monmarte, the Abbesses metro station was the only place I noticed far too many thuggy-looking teenagers (possibly a gang) hanging around and blocking the entrance and exit of the station. If I hadn't been with my husband, I would have felt even more uncomfortable.<BR><BR>Maybe I'm just a paranoid American but it wasn't a particularly pleasant feeling--not something I'd like to share with my family. If you're not taking the Metro (although this area is quite hilly and could be tough to navigate with tired legs and small kids on slippery stone streets) and have access to a car, it might not be too bad. We were there on a Friday evening, but it really wasn't that late at night. These were NOT artists; they were just bored teenagers.<BR><BR>A nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to stay there.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 06:25 AM
Heidi

Oh yes, the 5th arrondisement/Latin Quarter is much nicer and more central. I don't known that exact area, but Christina gives excellent descriptions!<BR>

Old Dec 24th, 2001, 11:00 AM
GGinSF

I just came back from a week in Paris and I was staying by the Abbesses station (my hotel was on rue Tholoze. I think the streets above Abbesses were a delight, including around the vineyard and down the winding loop of rue Lepic. In the Summer it may get jammed with tourists but this time of year it wasn't a problem.<BR><BR>There were the 'thuggy' looking guys at the entrance to the Abbesses station, although I never saw them speak to or bother anyone.