Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Montmartre/Sacré-Coeur in the morning or the evening?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2023, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My reasons for going in the morning are mostly around less people and the sunrise
However, my reasons for going at night are mostly around the idea of dinner there - most likely at La Maison Rose (still considering other options so please suggest) and also for the view over the city at dusk

I'm trying to work out if dinner there outweighs the calmness and beauty of having a morning there and which time would be best for views. There is, of course, the other consideration of people watching and seeing the energy and life of the people there but either way we'll be there for a few hours and adding a shopping trip to the flea markets nearby as well.

We will only go to this part of Paris once whereas other locations we have multiple options to us. Other places I am looking at for sunrise/sunset experiences include:

1. Montparnasse Tower at night
2. The Trocadéro - either morning or night (not sure yet)
3. Arc De Triomphe at night
4. we're staying near the the louvre so should have good opportunities both morning and night near there and the Notre dame

All comments, advice, insights welcome

Thanks all
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 08:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What time of year?

The last time we were there (mid-October, late morning, probably mid-week), the crowds inside the basilica were both enormous and rude. And this was before the post-Covid tourist tsunami. Talking loudly inside the basilica, taking photos when photography is forbidden, totally disregarding the fact that a religious ceremony was underway at the altar. I'm not a religious person, but I was disturbed by the bad-tourist behavior. Overall, I thought it was a bit of a zoo, inside and out, and we didn't hang around.

If your plan includes climbing the Dome, it opens later and closes earlier than the basilica. The times might not work for sunrise.

FWIW, we enjoyed the Musee de Montmartre, Place du Tertre and Place Emile Goudeau where we had a drink at Relais de la Butte, one-time home of Picasso.
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 08:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I prefer the morning, the earlier the better, when Montmartre is calm.
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jean
What time of year?

The last time we were there (mid-October, late morning, probably mid-week), the crowds inside the basilica were both enormous and rude. And this was before the post-Covid tourist tsunami. Talking loudly inside the basilica, taking photos when photography is forbidden, totally disregarding the fact that a religious ceremony was underway at the altar. I'm not a religious person, but I was disturbed by the bad-tourist behavior. Overall, I thought it was a bit of a zoo, inside and out, and we didn't hang around.

If your plan includes climbing the Dome, it opens later and closes earlier than the basilica. The times might not work for sunrise.

FWIW, we enjoyed the Musee de Montmartre, Place du Tertre and Place Emile Goudeau where we had a drink at Relais de la Butte, one-time home of Picasso.
Oh I'm such a dummy
We will be there late August so sunset is scheduled for around 8:45pm....ish

I do think I would like to experience some degree of peacefulness in the Basilica so I'm seeing that first thing when it opens would be best???
Thank you for the other suggestions
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you K

It has been said to me that we "just have to have dinner at Montmartre".... this has been a strong influencing statement for me. So if we go for calmness then we miss out on dinner but maybe lunch is just as good

Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 01:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd go in the early morning and aim to be moving on by midday. Eating in the quarter is easy and I've found nice little restaurants that offer a snack at 11am to tick that box

I like this part of the area https://thegoodlifefrance.com/the-fa...les-and-beads/ which, if you like fashion all the way through to the grotesque you will love

I find the whole paean to French heroes is part of the French myth and similar "stuff" is found in many countries, not really to my taste.
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 07:06 AM

The inside of the basilica is nothing special. My favorite experience in Paris is to climb the steps to the rooftop where you can walk along the rooftop to a cupola. That way you get the premiere view of the Eiffel Tower in the background and the byzantine architecture of the basilica in the foreground. So you should go whenever the access to the rooftop is open. Very few people do this, so crowds should be no issue.

As a general rule, DO NOT EAT on Montmartre. Tourist Trap central. Some of the worst restaurants, not just in Paris, but anywhere. However, I have no personal experience eating at Maison Rose. I can tell you in all my years of visiting Paris and knowing people who live and work there, I have never heard of anyone eating there.
Generally speaking, the late afternoon /early evening is when crowds die down and Montmartre is very beautiful lit up at night. So first go to the rooftop and then you can more comfortably walk around. But eat elsewhere.

Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 07:26 AM

I think the inside of the basilica is very special to lots of visitors, particularly those who have never been to a basilica or any huge church.
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 08:13 AM

I have been to many big churches/basilicas and still very much like the inside, totally disagree that it's nothing special.

I will note that they used to take the no-pictures policy very seriously. This was quite a while ago, but I saw an instance where a woman took a couple of pictures and the guard went over to her and made her delete them!
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 10:32 AM

"Nothing special..." I guess beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

https://external-content.duckduckgo....1a5&ipo=images

https://external-content.duckduckgo....75f&ipo=images

https://external-content.duckduckgo....0bf&ipo=images

It's a lucky visitor who gets a chance to hear the organ... built by the same builder who made the organ in Notre Dame.
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 01:01 PM

Jean, yes, I remember that gorgeous blue ceiling!
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 02:10 PM

While I always aim to respect "no photography" rules, is there any purpose they have been so strict with Sacre Coeur? I understand that utilizing flash could damage works of art (at least that is what has been said, not sure of the validity) but in the age of digital photography, does that same logic still hold validity? Is there another reason I'm not aware of?

I found it odd when I went, I saw several tourists take photos without being scolded - and in groups - without a single word. But me, I got a nice lecture for even bringing my digital camera out of the bag.

I found it strange I could take as many photos of the Last Supper I wanted as long as they weren't video or flash but absolutely nothing in Sacre Coeur. I know, different place, different policy.
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

"I like this part of the area https://thegoodlifefrance.com/the-fa...les-and-beads/ which, if you like fashion all the way through to the grotesque you will love"

Brilliant, thanks for this
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

As I kept reading I realised that If I replied to every specific quote then it wold be redundant - thanks to everyone.
So, based on the below info AND the assumption (thanks Shelemm) that crowds will die down in the late afternoon/early evening then I think I will try for the rooftop in the evening and hit the last entry just before 8pm and then go inside afterwards.

One final question and its going to be a stupid one: Do you think we could take a picnic blanket and some food up to the rooftop???
  • The Basilica is open every day from 6.30 am to 10.30 pm.
  • Access to the Dome is outside the Basilica on the left.
    There are 300 steps to climb and no lift! but the panoramic view of Paris is stunning.
    DOME Opening hours
  • Every day from 10.30 am to 8.30 pm Please note that last entry is at 8 pm.

Last edited by bhuty; Aug 2nd, 2023 at 05:15 PM. Reason: formatting obtrusive
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 06:21 PM

The "no photography" rule at Sacré Coeur is just the last hurrah of the Catholic Church. The government owns and controls every church built before 1910 and makes the rules. Sacré Coeur was consecrated after 1910 and is one of the rare big churches controlled by religious authorities.
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by kerouac
The "no photography" rule at Sacré Coeur is just the last hurrah of the Catholic Church. The government owns and controls every church built before 1910 and makes the rules. Sacré Coeur was consecrated after 1910 and is one of the rare big churches controlled by religious authorities.
I do not find anything surprising about that explanation. Thank you!
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by bhuty
As I kept reading I realised that If I replied to every specific quote then it wold be redundant - thanks to everyone.
So, based on the below info AND the assumption (thanks Shelemm) that crowds will die down in the late afternoon/early evening then I think I will try for the rooftop in the evening and hit the last entry just before 8pm and then go inside afterwards.
My only thought about that plan is that you can't fully appreciate/enjoy the stained glass windows without daylight shining through.
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 09:29 PM

I can't say this by anything I've read, but I can't imagine that they would allow picnics on the roof!
Old Aug 3rd, 2023, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jean and Susan - much appreciated
Old Aug 3rd, 2023, 04:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I seriously doubt a picnic on the roof of a sacred place would be allowed. Not a good idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -