Montmartre - is it safe day/night?

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 02:12 PM
Jean

Montmartre - is it safe day/night?

We will be in Paris this April. We've not visited Montmartre in over 20 years (missed it the last time in Paris).

I've read that it's not that safe for tourists. Is this true? What are the safest metro stops for this area? How is it at night?

Thanks.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 04:04 PM
Thyra

Jean, my husband and I have stayed in Montmatre several times, the last time was in 1999, apparently the district had some kind of rebirth, (very seedy in the early 80's from what I understand) but we never felt unsafe, we strolled Place de Tertre (sp) and the environs both day and night (though not really late,,, just after dinner until around 8 or 8:30ish). The place that seemed rough was the Pigalle but it's an area known for strip clubs, as well as the Follies Bergere and it had a little of that "red light" district vibe going on, wouldn't want to walk there late. But we really enjoyed our little Montmatre neighborhood, so much so that we've stayed there 3 times.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 04:08 PM
Jayelle

I went back to Montmartre during my stay in Paris this past September. My last visit to that area had been about five years earlier, and I did not notice any difference in the area. You're perfectly safe walking around Montmartre. Certainly during the day tourists seem to outnumber the locals.

Some people don't care much for the area at the foot of Montmartre, particularly the Pigalle area. While I find this area tacky, I don't feel unsafe there either. Other surrounding neighborhoods such as the area around Place de Clichy have large immigrant populations and are not as affluent as the more touristy areas of Paris, but again I do not find them to be unsafe. I stayed in this area for several months while I was studying French five years ago and had no problems at all, day or night.

I used the Abbesses metro stop to reach Montmartre, which puts you very close to the bottom of the funicular, but there are several others in the area such as Anvers that will get you there also.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 04:09 PM
Jerald

Jean, June of last year our hotel was 2 blocks down the hill from Pigalle Metro stop (the closest to Montmartre. In 10 nights (always nights because we went down hill to the Trinity Metro in the AM.) we never even saw a problem. We did however see some REAL sights as this is the area of The Moulin Rouge & a dozen others like it & all of the sex shops & peep shows & hookers, bars etc, but I consider it safe if the aforementioned doesn't bother you. We are going back on the 29th & we plan to go back to M. it is one of my favorite places with the church, artist & one of the best views of Paris.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 07:23 PM
Susan

Jerald (or anyone else who might know!): Do you know if is also convenient to take a bus to Montmartre, say from St. Germain? I'm interested in Sacre-Coeur, flea markets and fabric markets there. Also, did you actually go to Moulin Rouge for a nighttime show? I was wondering if this is safe. Thanks.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 08:40 PM
Sue

Thyra, where do you stay in Montmartre?

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 09:08 PM
Brennyn

Montmartre is definately not safe. I tripped on several cracks in the street and fell on my face, breaking my nose. I definately don't recommend it.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 04:19 AM
Donna

Like Thyra, we noticed a huge difference in June 1999 compared to September 1996. In 1996, we couldn't wait to get out of the area. This past June, however, we found it positively charming. Note that the L'Opentour bus drops you RIGHT at the foot of the finicular to Sacre Coeur. For more information on L'Opentour see www.ratp.fr L'Opentour is a terric way to get around to all the major sites.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 06:11 AM
sam

Susan

Take the Metro. See above posts on stops. It is simple and drops you off at the base of Sacre-Coeur.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 07:26 AM
elvira

The metro doesn't run after 1:00am or so, so if the show gets out later, you'll have to take a taxi. Stay away from the Barbes-Rochechouart stop late at night. The Sacre Coeur area of Montmartre if very safe; even at night, lots of tourists and activity. The Pigalle area is safe enough during the day and evening, but it's sort of sleazy and I never found it to be any place I'd want to spend time.
I've not been to a show at the Moulin Rouge/Crazy Horse/etc. in years; they are expensive and full of tourists.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 08:25 AM
Thyra

Well we did try for a show at the Moulin Rouge, and though we did not actually see a show (too expensive) we were in the neighborhood and had no problems, we ended up going to the Le Chat Noir cafe and ordering beers, much more to our budget. We stayed at a wonderful hotel that has panoramic views of Paris including the Eiffel Tower(however the view rooms must be requested in advance and they charge a $10.00 supliment for the view, but it's worth it, took my breath away) The hotel is called Hotel Regyn's Montmatre, 18 Place des Abbesses, 75018 Paris.
Phone 01 42 54 45 21. I found it in Fodor's hotels of Character and charm in Paris. It's about 20 feet from the Abbesses metro stop and a block from the stairs that lead to Sacre cour. We've stayed there twice (during March) and as I recall the room rate including b-fest, view and bathtub, hair dryer, TV, tiny elevator, it was around $90.00 (a two star hotel) . We spend a great deal of time, just sitting in our room looking at the Eiffel tower at night, and watching artists paint on the street corner below our room, we were there for my husbands b-day and I got up early, just as the various street vendors were setting up there wares... what a thrill to walk around Montmatre and have everyone say "Bonjour" to me! OHHHHH I can't wait to return... next spring look out. Bon Voyage!

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 12:20 PM
Susan

This has been great information on an area not discussed as much.
Sam, why do you say take the metro instead of bus? Is it mainly because it's much slower? I'm thinking that Paris will be a lot a walking and I might not want to add the long tunnels and lots of stairs in the metro and so would maybe sometimes take a bus. Any thoughts on this?
Thyra, how much is "too expensive" for Moulin Rouge? I know it's probably touristy but thought it might be fun for the experience.
Thanks.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 12:27 PM
AC

Hi Jean:
I took the bus from Montparnesse missed the connection to Montmarte and ended up on an extended tour of a Paris I did not know existed!
The driver forgot about me! Anyway, he took me back and there was a minibus that takes you right up to Sacre Couer. Took a tram type train for a ride through the area and it let off at the Pigalle Metro Station so went back that way. I did not want to venture back they way I arrived. Take the Metro and funicular it is much easier!

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 01:05 PM
Thyra

As I recall it was over $100.00 per person maybe even $150.00 with dinner....Don't quote me on that though, I just remember thinking "OH MY GOSH THAT'S OUR BUDGET FOR 3 DAYS, NO DANCE ACT IS WORTH THAT" But we are usually on a strict budget and there is plenty to see in Paris without spending an arm and a leg. I think if we had had the money we would have gone since we do like a good show, and it would be something to say we've done.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 01:32 PM
sam

I say take the Metro because the stop is right there and at most, you can get there in on change over if not any at all. With a bus, not always, it is very easy to take the wrong bus and I find that I have to take more bus changeovers than with the Metro. Plus, the Metro runs roughly every 4-5 minutes. I do not think the buses run that much. Also, if you have a day pass, the funicular is near the Abbesses station and you can use your Metro day pass on the funicular (I think/I know it takes regular Metro passes) The main reason is I am a "Metro-head" and the Paris Metro is one of the finest, if not the best Metro in the world.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 02:39 PM
Susan

Thanks for the answers to my questions about the metro and Moulin Rouge. I appreciate the information!

Old Dec 9th, 2000, 11:19 AM
Helen Rennie

My husband & I booked a trip to Paris for three nights over the New Year celebrations & are staying in this area with no previous knowledge of the city. I'd been beginning to worry about some of the negative comments about Montmartre, but you've all put my mind at rest - now I can't wait to get there! Any suggestions on a good way to spend New Year's Eve? We fancy the fireworks at the Eiffel Tower, but how safe is it to travel far on that night? Thanks for your help!